[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@davidm71 :

Which “particular NVMe mod” do you mean?
According to the feedback I got, nearly all users, who strictly followed my guide (no matter which one of the offered NVMe modules they had inserted), succeeded and were able to boot off their NVMe SSD.

@10AmpFuse :
Yes, it is possible to install Win7 onto the NVMe SSD, but you have to integrate previously the MS NVMe Hotfix into the boot.wim and install.wim of the desired Win7 Image. You can get the MS Hotfix from >here<.

Thats interesting. I was referring to the NVMExpress single module insertion method and more curious about AMD vs Intel users. Thanks.

@davidm71
Regarding the functionality and the performance there is no difference between AMD and Intel chipset mainboards and between native and manually added NVMe support according my guide. The only advantage of BIOSes with native NVMe support is the better integration within the system BIOS modules, but this can only be done by the mainboard manufacturer. The user doesn’t benefit from the insertion of all 3 modules (only the nvme module will be used by the BIOS).

@Fernando :
Finally got my Asus Z87 Pro booting Win7 off a PCIe x4 NVMe drive. After a few failed and nerve-wracking “by hand” attempts at porting my system drive, in the end I used a payware partition tool, MiniTool Partition Wizard, to copy my win7 MBR SATA SSD to my NVMe SSD as GPT, which booted straight-away without incident. I’ve found that to boot Win7 as UEFI, one MUST have CSM enabled. Works great! The boot time has been cut in over half, though not the crazy fast times Win10 gets. Eventually I’ll go Win10 dual boot, and move Win7 back to a SATA SSD. Thanks for the brilliant BOIS patch and advice, paypal donation has been made…thanks and enjoy!

BTW, Thanks Fernando for your dedication to this cause. I hope you can step away relaxed and in style. Best Wishes!

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space)

Silly situation (question). I have an Aurora R4 motherboard (x79) with BIOS revision A11. The instruction is clear and allowed me to have a modded BIOS. I am booting off a single SATA SSD (Samsung 840 Evo 1tb).

My Windows 10 is setup to boot in Secure Boot.

Question is:
- If i apply the modded BIOS, can i still boot fine with my current setup? Will it affect boot-ability of my current setup?
- I am provisioning this when I upgrade my SSD to an nVME drive that I intend to do a fresh install of Windows 10 (which I can disable Secure Boot, Fast Boot, CSM later)

NVME drive I plan is - Adata XPG SX8200 Pro
NVME PCIe x16 adaptor - https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/magid…s415499057.html

UPDATE
I was able to flash my modded Aurora R4 A11 BIOS using AFUWIN for APTIO4 (https://ami.com/en/?Aptio_4_AMI_Firmware_Update_Utility.zip - under \afuwin\64\afuwin64\AfuWin64\AFUWINGUIx64.EXE)

I just programmed the Main BIOS Image, checked Do Not Check ROM ID and Restart After Programming

Link to original A11 BIOS file - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…608996924655120
Link to modded A11 BIOS file - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…208478208490510

So far, I am still able to boot (in Secure Boot) Windows 10 using my SATA SSD.

@edmoncu :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Yes, provided, that
a) you haven’t done a severe mistake while modding the BIOS,
b) the flashing procedure works fine and
c) you have restored your personal BIOS settings after the flashing has been completed.
The modified BIOS doesn’t affect your current system and booting procedure.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando :
Thank you so much for this. I’ve updated my post to reflect the process I followed.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space)

@sirlordakira :
This is an English language Forum.
Furthermore we do not modify BIOSes upon request.

Someone could upload a Bios mod for a GA-Z87M-D3H, updated and with support for NVMe. Thank you.

Sorry, forget my previous post. A pleasure.

May i know does the PATA and PATA SS appear only when an NVME drives installed on my motherboard?

@edmonaft :
The BIOS can only detect and list disk drives, which are currently connected to the mainboard.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi guys, I’m running in a bit of a trouble. I have a Asus Rog G771JM with the modified bios to support nvme drives. I was using in it a Plextor M8Se(G) 250gb until 2 days ago. So I was planning to sell it and to upgrade the 970 evo in my PC with a 970 evo plus, and then stick the 970 evo in the laptop. After I did all of these, the laptop will see the 970 evo, will install the first part of windows, but then will not boot from it. With the plextor ssd, the windows was installed with the CSM compatibility off, and secure boot on.

By trying to install the windows on 970 evo with csm enabled, at the partitioning of the windows, it says that “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer’s hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk’s controller is enabled in the computer’s BIOS menu”, but this may be because of the nvme not being supported by MBR.

I tried all sorts of things, but can’t seem to boot from the 970 evo. I saw on the internet that the plextor uses nvme 1.1 or 1.2 protocol and 970 uses 1.3 (this may be a fault maybe) or maybe would need to update the injected nvme module, idk. I’m asking you guys if can help me with some info and help on this? Thanks a lot.

I seem to have incompletely apply to flash my firmware as I am still unable to boot onto my NVME drive :frowning:
When I flash to include Boot Block, it goes with an error saying "18 - Error: Secure Flash Rom Verify fail.

Wonder if there’s any way I could force to flash this :frowning:

I was able to successfully flash my BIOS using AFUDOS from this URL (download the attached BiosTools.zip):
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-G…res-UEFI-Aptio4

Alternate link: here

Create a bootable DOS USB flashdrive
Copy the AFUDOS files into it together with the modded firmware.
Boot into DOS USB flashdrive
Go to the path where AFUDOS is alongside your modded firmware
Run AFUDOS moddedfirmware.bin /GAN

Here’s the result. Thank you so much Fernando for your amazing talent!

Pic1.png

Pic2.png

Anywho, i might change my CPU from i7 3930k to Xeon E5 2670 to see if have improvements with PCIe 3.0 speeds

EDIT by Fernando: Too big sized inserted picture replaced by 2 directly attached small sized one (can be enlarged by clicking onto them)

@loqki :

If you have followed my guide (= start post of this thread), you should be able to get Win10 installed onto the Samsung 970 EVO of your laptop and to use it as bootable system drive.
Why do you want to "update" the inserted NVMe module? If you should have chosen another procedure, you should ask those people for support, who gave you the advice to insert another NVMe module or to set the "Secure Boot" BIOS option to "Enabled".

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks for the fast reply Fernando, I used your tutorial to add the nvme driver into the bios, as that’s how I used the laptop with the Plextor M8se(G) drive for a while. But the 970 is seen in the windows 10 installation, but not detected as windows boot manager after the first restart of the installation. After some research I saw on your other tutorials, a bunch of files including ubu and many other nvme files to inject into the bios, which I think will help the laptop see the 970 evo as bootable. Any idea ? Thanks again.

@loqki :
Only the start post of this thread (incl. the NVMe modules, which are listed and linked within it) is valid for users, who want to get full NVMe support.

Provided, that you have successfully flashed a BIOS, which contains the required NVMe module, I suspect, that you forgot to disable the "Secure Boot" and the "Fast Boot" options within the BIOS, before you started the OS installation in UEFI mode.

This bios doesn’t have Fast Boot option, and by disabling and enabling Secure boot, nothing changes. From what I saw earlier, while trying to install a windows 10 on a hard drive with the 970 evo inserted, the bios wouldn’t see the drive as windows boot manager either. After I took out the 970 evo from the laptop and a restart, the bios instantly detected the hard drive, so I am implied to think that there is a compatibility issue somewhere between the module in bios (that’s why I was asking about a updated mod if there is one, or a separate module for samsung drives) or something. I can’t explain. I did rebuild now the bios with more mods inserted with MMTool, and hopefully that will fix the issue…

@loqki :
Provided, that the Samsung 970 EVO SSD is correctly inserted, do you see a disk drive named “PATA” within the BIOS of your notebook? If not, you haven’t successfully flashed the BIOS, which contains the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs module.

As it was seen on the windows installation, I can say it is seen by the laptop. The ssd will not be seen in the bios (as the plextor one wasn’t either and it was working flawlessly), so the nvme not being inserted correctly drops. The only way to see a ssd in the bios would be to add a AHCI ssd (XP941 which I had in the past installed), and that will trigger a AHCI drives available in the bios.

That is nonsense. Provided, that the required NVMe module is present within the currently active BIOS, each NVMe SSD will be shown within the AMI UEFI BIOS (but maybe not with its correct model name).