[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Hi there.
there is a problem with installing a new BIOS.
there is a mainboard ASUS Z87-c and it is not updated with the new BIOS.
I’ve tried clover (via BDU) to no avail.
what do you know about Z87-C that can help me???

@Vedmass :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
This is the specific thread about how to get full NVMe support for old systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS, but not about how to get a modded BIOS properly flashed (the recommended flashing procedure is always the same and doesn’t depend on the sort of BIOS modding).
Please look into the ASUS BIOS related chapter of the start post of >this< thread.
If you have further questions regarding the specific BIOS flashing procedure for your mainboard, please post them into the linked thread.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Lost_N_BIOS :
I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

There is no need to check it. I believe you.

Yes, please attach it.

That may be valid for Mobile systems, but not for mainboards, which were manufactured by any of the wellknown manufacturers. Affected users should ask the related notebook/mainboard manufacturer for an updated BIOS with native NVMe support. Good manufacturers will deliver it (provided, that the NVMe support can be implemented at all).

Hello guys, I tried to do everything as described in the guide, however, this seems not to work for me. I have here a m2 drive with PCIe adapter and an old mainboard, which has a spare PCIe slot, so I thought to give it a try. However either the mainboard is just too old or I am doing something wrong (the m2 could be broken too, but I don’t think so). Anyway, my mainboard has an EFI, however it is still this old style blue textual thing and not the fancy one with mouse and what not. It is based on B75 chipset. I know, I know, it is old and such… however, it still is enough for me and I don’t see a reason to get something newer yet. This is actually this one:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product…155-LL-Intel-RR-

I added nvm module to the image and flashed it, the PC is booting, but nothing has changed. I read the ROM out again and I clearly can see the nvm part in there, but it seems not to change anything. What did I miss? Please don’t tell, that it’s an upgrade to a newer hardware :slight_smile:

@Fernando - It’s OK, but thanks, I did think maybe we didn’t understand each other a little bit
See PM for file, you know how they can be sometimes, so not posting in public
I’ve edited plenty of mainboards (Desktop) that are Aptio V and not NVME compatible, yes many recent ones are now but not all still yet, and certainly not all older Aptio V ones either.
I agree, this should be put into a BIOS update from manufacturer if requested on a modern BIOS, but you know how those requests can be sometimes - usual answer is “Sure, we plan update release in next week/month” and then nothing or new BIOS come out in 2 months, still doesn’t have it

@scorp - B75 should be fine with this mod. Be sure you do everything exactly as mentioned at step #4 in the “What should I do” section.
If you can’t get it, upload your mod BIOS so someone can check to confirm your mod BIOS was done correctly.

@Lost_N_BIOS thank you for the reply, it gives me some hope. I went through the guide multiple times and tried different versions of ROM with UEFITool as well as with MMTool with same result. I can see nvm module in the ROM, but I can’t see anything in the EFI/BIOS UI, the drive is just not there. The drive is new, however it still could be bad somehow, so I ordered a m.2 to SATA adapter to doublecheck this.

Here is my modified BIOS, may be someone can see, what I did wrong:
https://andjelo.de/cloud/index.php/s/gKd4nByQZ4pbnxP

By the way, I’m using linux and have no windows at all here, so I can’t use afuwin and have to flash from a DOS Usbstick with afudos, but I think this shouldn’t be a problem, what do you think? All the other programs seem to work fine in wine environment. But I’d be glad to know about your experience regarding this either.

I would really like to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a new NVMe adapter card plugged into a Dell Precision T7600. Those computers don’t have a BIOS written for such a feat, but I’m hoping that someone here MIGHT have done it and created a post that will help a poor waif like me deal with any quirks. I’ve looked around the forums here, but I haven’t yet spotted any controversy for C600 motherboards. I will say, though, that when I try to put the BIOS into EFI mode I get a message that states no such file exists. Whatever the heck that means.

I should also mention that my expansion card is a Qnine Dual M.2 PCIe Adapter with a pair of Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSDs. After purchasing the SSDs I read at the Crucial site that they’re not compatible with my computer, but I presume that only means not compatible without an expansion card.

I will now read Fernando’s initial post on this matter and try to wrap my head around the project. Any help is really appreciated.

Hello !
First of all : thanks for everyone’s contribution to this forum, this is a gold mine !

I try since a fiew days to made my computer ASUS GL552VW compatible with a Samsung 970 EVO 1TO NVMe, without success.
I’ve try to pass by Clover first, with the method describe >>here<<, but my SSD stil not visible when I lauch Windows Installer.
After many hours, I’ve decided to try modding my BIOS with this tutorial, and the result is the same.

This is my original BIOS, without mod : GL552VWAS304.zip
And this is the same BIOS modded as instructions with MMTool 5.02.0025 (4.50.0.23 didn’t show entiers values) : GL552VW-AS_MODDED.zip
Do you know what I’m doing wrong please ?
Can I try something else ?

Thank you for this great work you do since years !

GL552VWAS304.zip (2.59 MB)

GL552VW-AS_MODDED.zip (2.6 MB)

@benCat :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
After having done a look into your attached original BIOS, I found out, that there is no need to modify it, because it natively supports booting off an NVMe SSD.
To find ot the reason why the Samsung 970 EVO SSD doesn’t work with your notebook, please post a screenshot of the stock system’s Device Manager with expanded “Disks”, “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” and “Storage Controllers” sections.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you for this awesome guide! And thanks to all the people who posted their work-arounds to the issues they encountered.

After quite the struggle, I have successfully booted into Windows 10!

— SPECS

MB: Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3
CPU: Intel i5 2500K
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (relevant)
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB NVMe

— PROCEDURE

Modifying and flashing the BIOS went perfectly fine, but even though Windows 10 could see the disk, it refused to install to it, citing that the drive wouldn’t be bootable. To remedy this:

I first had to remove my dedicated GPU and use the integrated GPU instead, or else my system would freeze following the next steps.
I then had to set the “PCI ROM Priority” value to “EFI Compatible ROM” within the BIOS.
Next, I booted the UEFI Windows 10 installation USB from within the BIOS.

At this stage, Windows 10 would still refuse to install to the disk, and so the next steps were mandatory:

I had to return to the first screen of the Windows 10 install and click on the “Repair…” link in order to open up a command terminal:

> diskpart
> list disk
> select disk 0 (my disk was assigned the number 0)
> clean
> convert mbr (THIS IS IMPORTANT!)
> exit
> exit

After rebooting the system, Windows 10 could finally be installed to the NVMe drive. Upon completion, I then returned to the BIOS and set the “PCI ROM Priority” value back to “Legacy ROM” before shutting down the system and reinserting my dedicated GPU.

Was quite the journey but well worth it.

@Pokey :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report.
By the way: Much easier than entering the "diskpart" commands is it to do the following steps once a previously used NVMe SSD (incl. its partitions) has been detected by the OS Setup:
1. Delete one after the other all existing partitions from the shown NVMe SSD (to avoid the deletion of other important data all other disk drives should be removed/unplugged before starting the OS installation).
2. Let the OS Setup create a new target partition for the OS installation onto the NVMe SSD.
3. Click onto "Continue".
The rest will be done automaticly.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Wow, this thread is still alive … thanks, Fernando!

I still have my Z77 mobo (GIGABYTE Z77X-UP5) with an i7-3770k at 5GHz. I currently am botting in legacy mode (not UEFI) but the bios does support UEFI. I’d like to add a PCIe NVMe drive and wanted to boot from it. Should the procedure in your first post work fine? If I switch to UEFI boot, what about my current drives? I want to keep my current SATA drives in the system.

@aquarc :
Yes, you will be able to use the NVMe SSD as bootable system drive, if you follow my guide (=start post of this thread.
After the successful installation of Win10 onto the NVMe SSD in UEFI mode and the reconnection of the other HDDs/SSDs their data are still accessable (only difference: You cannot boot anymore into the currently used system drive).

@Fernando :
Many thanks. Do you mean the legacy boot option is no longer available in the BIOS? Or do you mean that I will have to switch from UEFI to Legacy in the BIOS in order to boot from the old drive (in legacy)?

In the former case I guess I can still go back by flashing the original BIOS.

@aquarc :
Since the LEGACY mode boot sector (= Master Boot Record) will be still present within the HDD/SSD, where you previously installed the OS, you will be able to boot off it after having switched the UEFI/LEGACY mode related BIOS settings.
Anyway I recommend to let the formerly used system drive removed/unplugged after having successfully installed Win10 onto the NVMe SSD (to avoid any boot problems).

Hi guys, again. Any chance to get some hint? Did anybody here try to patch any B75 mainboard firmware? I’m still interested, if it’s possible at all.

@scorp :
Since I have no doubts, that it is possible to get full NVMe support for B75 mainboards, I will do a look into your modded BIOS and tell you my result.

@Fernando :
Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

@scorp :
Your modded BIOS seems to be fine and ready for being flashed, but to be sure I need the original BIOS.
Please attach it or give me the link.

@Fernando :

Thank you for taking a look once again and sorry, that I didn’t write yesterday already, I was off line for a day. Here you have both files:

The original backup:
https://andjelo.de/cloud/index.php/s/bYgJyZtqCFg8CeH

The modified version:
https://andjelo.de/cloud/index.php/s/RLxBMJapkHjAXWR

Just repatched it again, to test, but with no success… :frowning: