[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Maybe one point to add to the excellent first post. Looking back at where my issues were, it also had to do with the bad translation of my BIOS.

Somit could be worth to (or stay at) switch to english for the initial setup after modification - if the user can speak a decent english.

@McTrinsic :
Thanks for your proposal.
Unfortunately I do not really understand it. What should be added to the start post?
You certainly know, that the availability and the exact name of a certain BIOS setting is quite different and depends on the manufacturer and model of the related mainboard.

Sorry for not being specific enough.
It is not about a certain setting and itā€™s name.
My suggestion was to make sure that all BIOS/UEFI setup activities are executed with language = English.
In my case some parameters were badly translated into German, causing some confusion.

@McTrinsic :
Thanks for your clarification.
According to your suggestion I have added the following sentence into the chapter "Flashing of the modded BIOS":

Great, thanks ! :+1:

successfully added the NVMe boot support for MSI MS-7693/970A-G46
thank you, @Fernando !

MS-7693_BIOS_mod.rar (4.07 MB)

@FeatheredFrog :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback! It is fine, that you succeeded and now can boot off an NVMe SSD.
If you want to offer your NVMe modded BIOS for other interested users with the same mainboard, you should better do it within >this< Sub-Forum.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

done
thank you for pointing out

Hi @Fernando , iā€™ve entered the link & i see many different threads, which of them is proper to leave there my M5A97 PRO moded bios?

@AvenocturnO :
The best way for an offer of a modded BIOS is to start a new thread and to give it a short, but meaningful title.

Hi,

my Hardware:
Desktop-board Fujitsu D3076-S
Intel ā€œCougar Pointā€ Q67 Express Chipset
Intel Core i5 2xxx (SandyBridge) CPU
AMI Aptio 4 Bios

I inserted ā€œNvmExpressDxe_4.ffsā€ in compressed form in the DXE-Driver-Volume with UEFITool 0.28 instead of using MMTool. And i didnā€™t insert it at the end after last , but instead after AHCI-DXE-Driver. Bios contains also pad files.
In the first posting, usage of UEFITool and inserting in the middle is not recommended. Whats the cause? In my case, UEFITool isnā€™t showing any problems and bios is working. Should i expect some failures or problems?

Thanks!

@Ludolf :
If you didnā€™t follow my advices given within the start post, you should be happy, when the flashing of your modded BIOS didnā€™t brick your mainboard.

Iā€™ve tried this mod several times on my ASUS P8Z68-M Pro board. But it will not bood from the NVMe driver. Iā€™m using a Sabrent Rocket 1TB driver and a PCIe to NVMe adapter in the bottom x16 slot.

I tried a couple of premodded bios and no go. I also tried copying the modules from an ASUS Z97 bios and inserting it into the latest Asus 4003 bios.

Reading in the modded file shows the modules: Nvme, NvmeSmm, NVMEINT13 at the end of the file just after ProjectDXE and before the Volume Free Space. Is there something else I need to do for the bios to use them?

Thanks

I used: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z68M_PRO/HelpDesk_BIOS/

@precisionpete :
This is what I recommend to do:
1. Follow step-by-step my guide (=start post of this thread).
2. If you should not succeed, attach your modded BIOS and tell us details about your BIOS settings.

Thanks for your quick reply.

I followed your excellent instructions and had no problems or errors. This time I found a copy of MMTool (5.0.0.7). Before I had used UEFITool. But I got the same result.

With MMTool, it went exactly as explained. Then I flashed the BIOS to the ASUS P8Z68-M Pro board. It uses AMI 2.10.1208 BIOS. It said everything was successful and the PC continues to work normally. Under the boot profiles I do see the PATA SS device as I had before. And it does not allow me to select that for boot as you said.

However, I do not see the Sabrent NVMe device anywhere in the BIOS. Itā€™s not an option for boot. Once I boot into Linux Mint 19.3 (on the old SSD) I do see the Sabrent NVMe disk and I had no problems installing Linux Mint 20 on it. This is just a booting problem.

I also disables the ASMedia storage controller this time. But it did not make a difference.

I also tried a ROM that came pre-modded for my board. But I got the same result. PATA SS but no option to boot.

Your instructions are excellent. So I am sure I followed all the options correctly. And the process made sense. For both tools.

I really appreciate your help with this. The links bekow are for the before and after ROMs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e4-7-Ilā€¦iew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t2GWOTeā€¦iew?usp=sharing

Thank you very much in advance.

Peter

P8Z68-M-PRO-ASUS-4003.ROM.zip (4.33 MB)

P8Z68-M-PRO-ASUS-4003-NVMe.ROM.zip (4.34 MB)

@precisionpete :
Within my guide I have made very clear,
a) that the device named PATA_SS is the NVMe SSD and
b) you cannot boot off the device with that name.
To be able to boot off the NVMe SSD, you have
a) to disable the "Secure Boot" and "Fast Boot" options within the BIOS and
b) to install Win10 in UEFI mode onto the NVMe SSD (after having unplugged all other HDDs/SSDs).

Yes. I understood the directions. I did not expect to boot from the PATA SS. But I do see it.

My BIOS does not seem to have a Secure or Fast Boot option. Nor can I find anything similar.

I also disables the ASMedia disk controller. But I am still using ASMedia for USB. I also have all the disks disconnected other than the Linux install USB and the Sabrent NVMe in the PCIe adapter in the x16 slot.

I have no trouble installing Linux on the NVMe disk. And I can see it from Linux no problem. I am just unable to see the device in the BIOS. So I cannot select it for boot.

Could it be that this board is just too old? Iā€™s PCIe 2.0. Maybe I should sent it back and get the Samsung? I understand that one can boot in legacy mode?

I sincerely appreciate your help. Yes the directions were excellent. And thatā€™s why itā€™s so stange that I canā€™t get it to workā€¦

Of courseā€¦ As soon as I submitted that, it actually worked? The only difference this time was disconnecting the other disks while installing Linux.

I will try reconnecting now that it boots. Or is that a limitation that I can only have one disk?

No, as soon as the OS has been successfully installed and you can boot off the NVMe SSD, you can reconnect the other HDDs/SSDs.

@Fernando :

Thanks for your hard work in putting this together and rallying the troops. Iā€™m now running W10 off an M.2 on an 8-year old Asus MB.

Amazing work! Please let me buy you a beer!

-Dog