[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@Fernando
Thank you for your help. Attached is the bios.

Short explanation. I flashed the BIOS with the file "bios.rom" in the folder "Modi" using a USB stick.

Modi-Bios-G751JYAS213.zip (4.6 MB)

Quell-Bios-G751JYAS213.zip (2.3 MB)

@Kaaybean : Thanks for the original (with capsule) and the modded BIOS (without capsule), which verifies the reason for your problem after having flashed the modded BIOS: You have used the MMTool, which inserted not only the desired “small” NVMe module, but additionally a natively not present Pad-file directly below the DXE Driver Volume. You obviously haven’t checked the modded BIOS carefully before you flashed it. By the way - this is one of the very rare cases, that the MMTool doesn’t insert a desired EFI module correctly.
Here are the related pictures, which show the related BIOS section of the original BIOS (left Pic) and your modded BIOS (right Pic):

Original BIOS.png

Wrongly modded BIOS.png

And here you can see, what you will get, when you will insert the "small" sized NVMe module by using the UEFITool:

Correctly modded BIOS.png

This is what I recommend to do:
1. Create a correctly modded BIOS file by using the UEFITool v0.28.0.
2. Flash the original BIOS by using the usual ASUS flashing procedure and tool.
3. Turn on the PC, enter the BIOS and check, whether all your currently missing options are available again.
4. Flash the modded BIOS.
Good luck!

@Fernando
OK thank you very much. I’ll try it again. I still have one question. I flash the bios according to these instructions.
rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99490-Flash-any-most-Asus-motherboard-Bios-in-DOS-with-USB-tutorial-Intel-AMD-roll-back
The Asus tool WINFlash does not allow flashing. (Bios file older than the current Bios version). What other options are there for flashing Asus boards?

@Kaaybean :

For original BIOSes look into your mainboard manual, for modded BIOSes look into the start post of >this< thread.

@Fernando , @Wishbringer thank you very much!

ASUS H87M-PRO successfully patched.
Flashed via ASUS AI Suite.

BIOS: 2102 dated 2015-03-20
NVMe module: NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs dated 2018-04-18
SSD: A-Data XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro
NVMe-to-PCIe adapter: (asian noname)

index.jpg

hi im having hardtime with a ga-z97x-gaming 5 with adata xpg6000 pro nmve m.2 , tried f6, f7 and f8a.
If i put just this drive, bios founds it udb win10 installs like a charm , BIOS shows in boot options adata and windows boot mgr on adata. it has native speed of 900 mb read and 550 write for a gen2x4 board instead that maximum 2100/1500 per adatas page.
The problem is when i connect the sata ports with to old 1 tb drives, like the nmve disapears and overrides boot , booting from hdd. No sign of nmve , except when i upgrade or downgrade bios.

any clue? is there a modding bios or settings i should try?
thanks.

Bios Boot Manager found another UEFI bootable system entry, the old one from the HHD.
Note: Even after boot in the OLD windows, the NVMe should be visible as storage device.

Settings u can try…not knowing what u settings we can change in this model: Check UEFI/PCIe Disks priority, Possible deletion of old boot volume entry in Boot Manager, not volume itself or done it by software tools around like BCEDIT.
Careful with volumes changes if Important data on it and care for old bootable system disk.

Hi there everybody,
I modded the latest Bios *.CAP file for an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme board (using AMI’s MMTool).

One concern though:
I first extracted the body of the *.CAP file, thereby converting it into a *.ROM.
Then I made the modding changes to that *.ROM file and saved the result as a *.ROM.

My question now is, can I flash this *.ROM file directly, or do I have to convert it back to a *.CAP somehow (if so, how)?
Or should I have rather modified the *.CAP directly?

@Phil_Smith : As you can read >here<, there are several options to get a modded ASUS UEFI BIOS successfully flashed.
If your mainboard supports the USB Flashback feature, I recommend to do the following:
1. Re-add the previously removed original capsule header to the modded ROM file.
2. Rename the freshly created modded *.CAP file according to the ASUS Flashback rules and put it onto a small sized FAT32 formatted USB Flash drive.
3. Flash it by following the USB Flashback guide.

Finally make it work . Settings:
1: Go to -> Peripherals - SATA Configuration
2: Change ‘SATA Mode Selection’ to RAID. (M.2 PCIe SSD RAID Mode should be ‘enabled’ by Default, if not enable it)
3: Go to BIOS Features
4: Set Windows 8 Features to:

Windows 8 Features = Windows 8
CSM Support = Always
Boot Mode Selection = UEFI Only
LAN PXE Boot Option ROM = Enabled/Disabled (your choice)
Storage Boot Option Control = UEFI Only
Other PCI Devices ROM Prioity = UEFI OpROM
On boot choos your nmve with windows loader&nbsp;
​​​​​​​
Save this BIOS configuration.

Now the drivers, i was thinking Mod+signed Intel RST(e) drivers from the v14 platform Intel RST(e) drivers v14.8.18.1066 dated 09/06/2017 64 bits for win 10 and moded samsumg for nmve but adata says it has a realtek xcontroller so i will see which one suits better. . fast boot and other options are disabled, so i guess i can get a lil bit more of the m.2 connector. i was thinking of buying a pci x4 to m.2 nmve conector to use 3x40 full speed.
Update:
win 10 doesn’t like drivers 14.8 , hasa 15.4 per windows install, every time y i run the setup it closes. also say .nf of samsung moded and realtek nmve drivers, are not compatible for x64 or something like that. i also imported the certificate.

@wfreetree :
I have followed your instruction (>Link<), I can finish the flash, reboot the computer but it doesn’t see the NVMe ssd, any bios setting to change to make it work??

EDIT by Fernando: To save space I have replaced the completely quoted post by the link to it.

@samana : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Who cannot see the NVMe SSD (the BIOS or the Operating System)? Did you read carefully the start post of this thread?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Samsung 970evo plus with RIItop pcie adapter card
boot from the sata drive in to os, samsung drive show up
after the modded bios install, I don’t see the Samsung drive in Bios

@samana

On some motherboards (do not know yours…) u will not see exact correspondence in description or none at all. Do remember that this is a MOD, not oficial and for old systems…
If u unplug ur old SATA drive, connect only the PCIe Adaptor with the EVO, followed by USB OS installation in UEFI, GPT, on the windows setup drive destination ur NVMe should be there,
in witch later on u can plug in the SATA again. Pay attention to boot manager disk priority if u dont clear the old OS.
The instructions on the 1st post r still valid, regarding secure boot off (Other OS), CSM off (Pure UEFI)

Excellent guide! Kudos to all that have helped to compile it!
Now I can boot from a 970Pro nvme M.2 SSD in a ASUS Maximus Gene V board with Z77 CPU. Thanks to the guide I managed to flash the modified CAP type BIOS and to restore my OS from a BIOS type installation of Win 10 to my SSD in UEFI which meant I didn’t have to reinstall the applications.
So happy!
M.

MSI 970A-G45 Rev1 with factory V2.8 bios
use samsung data migration to clone win10 to EVO
flashed modded bios
reset cmos
connect only the PCIe Adaptor with the EVO
reboot
no boot device

@miraculix : @samana : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
@miraculix : Congratulations - enjoy your success!
@samana : Did you read my guide (= start post of this thread)? I cannot remember, that I gave the advice to clone the previously used system disk drive or even mentioned this as an option.
When you do a simple data migration from your formerly SATA connected system drive running in AHCI mode to a PCIe connected NVMe SSD, you should not be surprised, that you cannot boot into the cloned OS anymore. Your NVMe SSD needs an NVMe driver and this information has to be given to the boot sector.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

it is working now
I was missing step #4, re-install os in UEFI
Thanks for all the advise

@samana : If the mod was successful you should see an entry PATA or PATA SS in the BIOS once you switch it to UEFI. If yes you should then be able to install Windows 10 in UEFI mode on it after which it shows up as bootable in the BIOS (look for an entry “Windows Boot Manager”)
HTH,
M

Ah - you found it yourself. Cheers.

As You can see gigabyte newer BIOS updates for z97x
gaming behave diferent .if a nmve is the only drive works in ahci mode, but if there are are other Sata disk You should put it in raid mode and newer options Will arise, sounds like last minute patch over patch.
Not clear info from Gigabyte. I Saw many opted for modded BIOS which it is fair and simpler plus newer Roms for Sata and raid.