[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@geoneo : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
>Here< is the thread about how to get a modded AMI UEFI BIOS properly flashed.
Please read the start post carefully. If you have any additional questions or problems regarding the BIOS flashing, you should post them into the linked thread.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando :

Its okay if rufus wont let you format the windows iso file into fat32. I simply downloaded the iso file which was over 5GB and let rufus burn the same like this the only change being NTFS. Please check the same and update the guide to benefit others.

Hats off again to this wonderful guide. Thanksā€¦

@dirtrider : Thanks for your comment regarding the file system (FAT32/NTFS) of the USB Flash Drive to be bootable in UEFI mode.
According to your advice I have added an ā€œImportant noteā€ to the related part of my Guide (= start post of this thread) to make it as clear as possible for the users. Is it ok for you?
By the way - the size of the ISO file, which is used as source for the creation of the bootable USB Flash Drive, doesnā€™t matter (can be over 4 GB). The FAT32 formatting is not possible, if any file inside the Image exceeds the 4 GB border (it is usually the file named INSTALL.WIM).

Iā€™m looking for a modified bios for NVMe SSD for Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H
If anyone has this bios let me post it. thanks
Iā€™m using BIOS F11
My drive is a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB

@thebullet : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
This is the thread for users, who want to do the requested work themselves. That is why I had written a step-by-step guide into the start post.
Users, who want to get an already modified BIOS, should post their request into >this< Sub-Forum. Maybe you can find there an already NVMe modded BIOS for your mainboard.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Perfect.

Hello. I would like to know if it is possible to modify the BIOS of an ASUS F2A85-V Pro board with UEFITool so that it recognizes an M2 NVMe.
I have tried but windows cannot boot from said drive. You may not have done well or canā€™t stand it.
Sorry for my English.
All the best.

Should be possible with mmtool.if you cant do it yourself,open up a request in bios modding thread

Thanks.
Iā€™ll investigate, but I donā€™t know if Iā€™ll be able to.
If someone can help me I would be so thankful.
Greetings and thank you.

Good luck

Hello everyone.
First of all, thank you very much, @Fernando and everybody who worked on this guide. Itā€™s great! Itā€™s very helpful and itā€™s pretty clear, so I read it easily and with full understand. I highly appreciate it.
But I have a problem with the last step (windows installation) :frowning:

- Motherboard - MSI Z87-G43 Gaming
- BIOS - E7816IMS v10.7
- SSD - Samsung 970 EVO
- PCI-E adapter - Noname
- opened my BIOS image using MMTool
- inserted NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs to the BIOS image
- saved it to my USB drive
- verified it using UEFITool (all of the Pad files were in the same place)
- updated BIOS using m-flash
- downloaded official Windows 10 image using MediaCreationTool
- made bootable USB flash drive using Rufus
- unpluged all other disks and devices
- installed windows 10 on my NVMe SSD
- BIOS sees the Samsung Solid State Storage Controller device in the PCI-E slot (I can see it in Board Explorer; before it was an Unknown device here)
- BIOS sees the PATA option to Boot.
- When I use the NVMe SSD disk only, Windows Boot manager is not recognised at all and I canā€™t boot anything
- When I plug the SATA Disk, Windows Boot manager works (loaded from old disk), it recognises Windows on the new Disk but itā€™s booting with the error (file: \Windows\system32\winload.efi; error code: 0xc000000e). I tried to run recovery but didnā€™t get any results.
Could you please suggest what I can try to do now?

I know that this thread is about BIOS modding not about Windows, but any advice will be helpful because Iā€™m newbie :[

@o_privet : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
I donā€™t see any mistake.

Please explain how you got Win10 installed onto your NVMe SSD.
If you cannot boot anymore, re-do the OS installation, but donā€™t forget to let the Setup delete all existing partitions of the NVMe SSD and create a new OS partition once the NVMe SSD is detected by the Setup.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I selected USB flash drive to boot in BIOS . Then I just followed steps in the Installation wizard.

Other disks werenā€™t displayed here, but NVMe SSD was names like a disk #3
I deleted all 3 partitions of the disk and created it again. 3 partitions appeared.

And then? What happened during the first reboot? Can you now boot off the NVMe SSD? Is there a "Windows Boot Manager" listed within the "BOOT" section of the BIOS?

Boot manager didnā€™t appear in BIOS. so, after the first reboot It was booted from USB flash drive. And now I canā€™t boot off the NVMe SSD

@o_privet :
Did you boot off the USB Flash Drive in UEFI mode?
Are the "Fast Boot" and "Secure Boot" BIOS settings disabled?
Were all other HDDs/SSDs disconnected?
Could you select the NVMe SSD as target disk drive for the OS installation?
Did you get any error message from the Win 10 Setup?

Took a while to get back to this (my day job kept getting in the way) but finally I got it to workā€¦ sort of.

Iā€™d been trying to get a shiny-new Samsung 980 Pro to work as an boot device on this ancient ASUS P8Z77WS (new old stock) and was getting nowhere, despite the UEFI appearing to recognize it.

Finally, and as a last resort, I got hold of a Samsung 970 EVO Plus, and went through the same process of imaging the source boot disk to it, andā€¦ it worked!

I have no idea why the 980 refused to cooperate as a boot device, while the 970 had no such problem, and can only assume itā€™s something specific to the combination that causes the windows boot to fail. Itā€™s perhaps notable that the 980 does not have any drivers available, so perhaps there are some assumptions being made regarding compatibility that my old system doesnā€™t meet.

@CeeTee : Thanks for your feedback. It is fine, that you are now able to boot off an NVMe SSD.
I cannot imagine any reason for the failure with the Samsung 980 Pro. The guide within the start post of this thread should work with all available NVMe SSDs, no matter which model and from which manufacturer.

@Fernando :
I booted off USB flash drive in UEFI mode. I turned off Legacy boot mode at all.

Fast boot option was disabled.
About Secure boot, I cam not sure. In my BIOS these options are under ā€œWindows 8 featureā€ menu. Should I enable or disable it? When it enable I can see secure pot options:
- system mode = setup (read only)
- secure boot = not active (read only)
- Secure boot support = disabled (I can toggle to enabled)
- secure boot mode = standard (I can toggle to Custom)
I think these options mean that secure mode is disabled. Please, let me know if Iā€™m wrong here.

Other disks were disconnected. I was able to select NVMe disk for the installation and it was a single disk here.

I will try to install OS again and let you know if some errors will displayed.

I tried again several times with different options and I got the result every time :ā€™(
There are no errors during installation but it canā€™t boot off the NVMe disk

Also I tried this guide: [Guide+Video] How to install windows on NVME SSD 960 EVO without clover on a board without NVMe support.
But it doesnā€™t help.