[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@o_privet : To exclude, that your modded BIOS is the reason for your issue, please attach both BIOSes (original and modded) as *.ZIP archives or give me a link to them.

@Fernando : I’d really appreciate it if you’d take a look.
There is the archive with both BIOSes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IL0RFgy…iew?usp=sharing
There is the screenshot showing which exact file I added: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16_Fdu95…iew?usp=sharing
(left side - original BIOS, right side - modded BIOS)

I was expecting this already @Fernando his mod bios has no NVMe module inserted

@o_privet :
Both folders (original and mod) do contain the same (original) BIOS dated 05/18/2015.
If you really have flashed the BIOS, which is within the folder “mod”, I have found the reason for your issue: You have flashed the original BIOS, which doesn’t support booting off an NVMe SSD.

My Bad :frowning:
I copied the wrong file.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12eUepj9…iew?usp=sharing
This is actual modded BIOS.

@o_privet :
Ok, the really modded BIOS seems to be perfect (identical with the one I modded myself) and is not the reason for your problem. As far as I remember there is a device named "PATA" shown within the "BOOT" section of the BIOS. This verifies, that you really have successfully flashed your modded BIOS.
I suspect a bad/wrong BIOS setting as source for your troubles.
Furthermore it would be fine to get pictures from the beginning of the OS installation.

@Fernando
There is a picture from the section with Disks selection:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8eY2jkE53xJvmX5k6
Sorry for that Russian language here, I can’t change it. But I think everything is clear here:
There is only NVMe disk (other disks are unplugged) and it’s split into 3 partitions: System, MSR and Primary. I recreate them and do formatting and then continue.

@o_privet :
The 100 MB sized EFI system partition (= Windows Boot Manager) is missing. That is why you cannot boot off the NVMe SSD.
Please check the settings of your used Rufus and compare it with the related Rufus GUI picture within my Guide.

I think EFI system partition is here, but it is 300Mb sized.
I can see it in Disk management: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H48moiP…iew?usp=sharing
Can it be a problem because of size? I don’t know how to manage it, it was created automatically.

I compared Rufus settings. There is a screenshot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mkbUgm3…iew?usp=sharing
It looks the same as your from the Guide.
I’m creating new bootable USB flash drive with the setting above and trying to install again

@o_privet :
The screenshot verifies
a) that you haven’t unplugged the SATA connected drives before starting the OS installation and
b) that the NVMe SSD hasn’t gotten the required 100 MB sized EFI partion (the “Windows Boot Manager” is still on the SATA connected SSD!).
This configuration cannot work!

@Fernando
a) You can see SATA disks at the screenshot because I plugged it after the OS installation and the first failed reboot.
I’m 100% sure that I removed all SATA plugs on my motherboard. And these SATA disks weren’t displayed in BIOS or in OS installation wizard during the process.
b) Do you think that 300 MB sized partition is not Windows Boot Manager?

Anyway, do you have any ideas how to force Windows Boot Manager installation? I’m searching for this in Google. but would glad to any help

Yes. Only the 100 MB partition with the word "EFI" within its name contains the "Windows Boot Manager".

My idea is to strictly follow my advices given within the start post of this thread.
Most important:
1. The target OS partition has to use the GUIMode Partition Table (GPT). Look here:

2. All HDDs/SSDs except the NVMe SSD has to be removed or unplugged (otherwise there is a risk, that the EFI partition of another disk drive will be used).
3. Make sure, that the 100 MB sized EFI partition has been created by the Win10 Setup onto the NVMe SSD.

Thanks to Fenando for guiding to change NVME for old systems. After many failures I finally succeeded with mainboad Asus H81M-E. Rom mod NvmExpressDxe_4. Unfortunately I don’t have an M2 SSD to verify it. Hope Fenando will check it out for me. Sincerely thank you
-Flash by Afuwingui V.1.0.4

H81M-A_mod.rar (3.59 MB)

@ChauHuy : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
According to what I see after having opened your modded BIOS, the insertion of the NVMe module has been done correctly, but to be able to evaluate its proper function I need the original BIOS for comparison purpose.
Question: Why did you name the BIOS H81M-A_mod.rom, but have written about the ASUS mainboard named H81M-E?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando :
Thank you for responding.
Original ROM is: H81M-E-ASUS-3602.CAP. When running the Software rename it to be H81MA.CAP.
sorry Rom name to edit as I set arbitrary after I saved to the computer when I have updated the computer BIOS

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space and for better readability)

H81M-E-ASUS-3602.zip (5.06 MB)

@ChauHuy : Thanks for your additional statement and the original BIOS.
The modded BIOS seems to be fine and I am very optimistic, that you will be able to boot off the NVMe SSD after its insertion by following point 4 of my "This is what you should do" Guide.
Good luck!

Once again, thank you very much, Fernando. I will try to find enough money to buy an NVME ssd to experience the fruits of my work. Wish you a good day.

HI ! first of all : WOW ! what a skillfull group of people here ! :smiley: i’m glad to see / meet people that cares about “old” stuff, and extend usage of it ! nice !

here is my question, if i may : i recently built a mini rig, with my old motherboard, to test / trouble shot and datarecovery purpose. i just bought a pci-e to nvme+sata SSD adapter, but i wasn’t expecting it not to work.

after several reserch i finally found that thread ! lucky me !

i managed to download the last bios, inserted the NVME support files, and force flash the MB with the new modded bios… everything seems ok, BUT, i can’t boot from the nvme. i still have a bios message, saying “that bios doesn’t support this boot drive, check CSM settings” wich i did, unsuccessfully.

do you have any other advice ? thanks a lot.

my MB is an ASUS P8H77-I with the last bios available v1102

@THC-Khorne : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
To be able to help you I need the following information:
1. Did you really read and carefully follow my guide (= start post of this thread)?
2. Which specific "NVMe support files" did you insert into the BIOS?
3. What makes you so sure, that the modded BIOS has been successfully flashed? Is there a device named "PATA" listed within the "BOOT" section of the BIOS?
4. How did you try to boot off the NVMe SSD und which were the related settings within the BIOS?
Furthermore it would be fine, if you give me access to the original and your modded v1102 BIOS.
Kind regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello everyone,
I have a Asus G771JM and I have a problem with SSD NVMe. Bios doesn’t detect my NVMe disk even though I modded the bios. I tried with different combinations but nothing worked. Could someone have a look at my Bios ori and mod? I have no idea what could be wrong. I include a Bios in attachment

BIOS G771JM.zip (4.66 MB)