[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Does this mean, that everything was ok before you inserted the M.2>PCIe adapter with the NVMe SSD?

yes, it does not output display when plugged in but does not trip on its own.

i went into bios. changed settings to uefi and loaded windows and shut down before plugging in the adapter

thanks il do that now @Fernando

@mrplamp :
Donā€™t insert the M.2>PCIe adapter and the NVMe SSD before having done the steps I have written in my last post!

Hello,
Iā€™m trying to apply this guide to my Intel DH61WW using BIOS 0120 but when opening file BE0120.bio on MMTool all I see are three rows and as you can guess, nothing related to CSMCORE nor DXE.

screenshot.png

What can I do in this case?

Thanks,
dh61ww

@dh61ww : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Since the Intel BIOSes are no normal AMI UEFI ones, you should better use the UEFITool. This is what you will see:

Your problems will begin while trying to get the modded BIOS properly flashed. I cannot help you with this.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi @Fernando ,

I did the clear cmos jumper yesterday and then the pc did not display at all without the pcie adapter. Iā€™m not sure why it did that, tired a few times.

Should i just remove the cmos battery and try it that way? im scared it did something coz it didnt want to display afterwards, any ideas?

@mrplamp : Yes, you can remove the CMOS battery and reinsert it after 1-2 minutes.
How old is the battery? Mabe you need a new one?

You are always writing about the adapter, but I suspect, that you mean the NVMe SSD (including the M.2>PCIe adapter). Am I right?

Hi @Fernando , Iā€™m not sure as i bought it second hand recently.

I will swap it out with my old mobo and do the 2minutes removal as advised. will post back when itā€™s done later after im home.

And Yes you are correct ->i mean the NVMe SSD (including the M.2>PCIe adapter)

Thank you!

Hi,
I just tried to insert the NVME module into my father in lawā€™s mainboard of his Medion PC via MMTool following your guide. Everything looks as if I failed, right?

NVME.png

Anything I can do to make it work?
Thank you in advance!

Medion.rar (3.49 MB)

@TeleTubby666 : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
You are right - you should not flash your modded BIOS.
As you can see within these pictures (left: original BIOS, right: your modded BIOS), the MMTool has done at least 2 unwanted alterations within the original BIOS:

Unwanted BIOS Modifications Pic1.png

Unwanted BIOS Modifications Pic2.png

Until now I couldnā€™t find a way to prevent it. It seems, that the DXE Driver Volume of the original BIOS has already too much content. The ā€œsmallā€ NVMe module can be inserted, but only by a too strong compression.
This evening I will try to find a solution.
Stay tuned!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

hi @Fernando

i managed to get it to work without the gpu inserted , it only worked after i enabled win8 whql.
it worked well on both pcie slots but stopped working when i input the gpu. im not sure why this is?

any ideas how to get them both working?

@mrplamp : Which BIOS is it, which you got working (the original, your wrongly modded or the correctly modded one)?
Additional question: Did you choose the "Default" and then redo your specific BIOS settings after having flashed the BIOS?

Where did you enable this option?

I suspect, that the PSU doesnā€™t deliver enough power for the connected disk drives and the graphics card.

@TeleTubby666 :
Meanwhile I have tried to insert the "small" sized NVMe module properly into the original BIOS by using different BIOS modding tools.
Result: All my tests failed. The NVMe module was inserted by all used tools into the correct BIOS location, but simultaneously a natively present Pad-file has been removed.
The following picture of the opened original BIOS shows the critical Pad-file:

Problem of the original BIOS.png

To exclude the possibility, that the unwanted BIOS alteration was caused by a too strong compression of the DXE Driver Volume, I removed for test purposes the biggest sized EFI LAN module of the BIOS named Ip6Dxe. The result was the same: The related Pad-file disappeared by the operation as well.
My conclusion: I am not able to help you. Donā€™t flash any modded BIOS, whose natively present Pad-file(s) have been moved/removed or natively not present Pad-files have been added by the BIOS modding tool.

Hi Fernando,
thank you very much for your efforts!

I also tried using different tools and using UEFITool for insertion I got the following result:

NVME2.png

So at the first glance everything looks perfect for me. But I would like to ask you to double-check, just to be sure.
I have attached the original and the modded file to this post.

Thanks in advance!

Medion2.rar (3.5 MB)

@TeleTubby666 : Congratulations to you for this interesting find!
You are right - your recently modded BIOS seems to be fine and ready for being flashed. Good luck!

It was a big surprise for me as well, that the UEFITool NE Alpha 58 was able to insert even the fully sized NVMe module without touching any originally present BIOS module.
Question: How did you insert the NVMe module? When I try to repeat your procedure, the option ā€œInsert afterā€¦ā€ option is greyed out.

@Fernando : To be honest, for me it was greyed out as well in the recent version of UEFITool. I just used it for presentation purposes because it shows a more detailed view of the modules as seen in the screenshots. The version used for insertion was 0.28.0 downloaded from the link in the first post.

I donā€™t know why it worked for me while you did not succeed using the same version of the tool. I will test out flashing the BIOS as soon as I come home from work. If everything works flawlessly, Iā€™ll report here and upload the file into the database.

Hi @Fernando - sorry for the late reply, was defeated everyday with trying to get this to work.
>I used the moded F15 bios
>i managed to change the setting in bios- operating system - Win8 whql
> my psu is 700W and rated for dual gpu, i did connect 2 x R 9380s and they worked with crossfire leading me to believe it is not this. Iā€™ve disabled my fan hubs to test with this extra power but same issue

At the moment the pcie adapter works perfect with no gpu, if i insert it (when off)when the gpu is inserted the pc automatically stoped detecting the gpu. Not even in device manager. I can only then use the gpu if i reset cmos. otherwise it will not display anything at all. the last time i had to reset Cmos and it still didnt work until i loaded optomized defaults, only after it rebooted did the gpu start working again.

I thought i need to reinstall gpu drivers in safe mode which i did, to no avail. Itā€™s great that the system recognises the Pata if inserted with win8 WHQL mode . I wish i could get them both working, i will use my other psu to power the gpu separely and see if this makes a difference but imean it was running atleast 100w more with the other gpu so its not looking likely as i doubt the pcie 2.0x4 would draw more than another GPU ?

please let me know what you think, im sorry ive taken this long, ive been going through different forums to see if theres a shared lane issue or something else i cant put my finger on.

Flashed the BIOS file today and the PC booted up flawlessly after I disabled the Security Boot option:

IMG_5089.JPG

Unfortunately, I have no M2 to PCI-E adapter to test ist, but I think the screenshot should speak for itself :slight_smile:

@mrplamp :
Since you obviously were able to get the NVMe modded BIOS properly flashed (the shown ā€œPATAā€ drive verifies it) and I cannot see a relationship between your problem and the topic of this thread, I cannot help you.
If you should ever find the reason for your current issue, please let us know it.

@TeleTubby666 :
It is fine, that you got the modded BIOS properly flashed. Now you need to insert the NVMe SSD and to install Win10 onto it. By the way - your screenshot doesnā€™t guarantee, that it will be successful.
Good luck!

Hi @Fernando ,
im going to try the separate PSU first then the f13 bios mod and see if the removal of the fast boot and operating system options on bios are better suited.

Thanks for all the help champ! really! ill let you know once ive solved this mystery
all the best, keep safe brother.

Hey guys,
Iā€™m happy to report that i could mod the bios for the MSI X79A-GD65 (8D) (MS-7760) version 4.8 for both nvme and the latest microcodes (especially version 621 for my Core i7 3960x dated from 2020).
Both mods are working perfectly it appears, even though i had fears about an issue about a pad file that went missing with all the versions of uefitool i tried (0.24, 0.25, 0.25.1, 0.28) when i tried to add the nvme (big one) module.
I flashed it and can boot without any issues on a SSD i had laying around.

I dumped the current bios from it, then modded it first with UBU to update only the microcodes, then used uefitool 0.28 to add the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs module at the end as per the guide. No error, it flashed ok and i do have latest microcodes and can boot from a nvme ssd.
File can be flashed using m-flash, but it has to be renamed to E7760IMS.480 before m-flash allow it to be flashed.
here are all the bios i worked with : https://mega.nz/file/epkgSBhC#T2UetbFF9Xā€¦g-4knSGELUocyFE
E7760IMS_ORIG.480 : original bios as downloaded from MSI, obtained by running MSIā€™s exe from a usb flash drive (size : 8M)
E7760IMS_DUMP.480 : original bios as dumped from my motherboard, i did update its microcode a few years ago, i believe in 2018 (size : 6M)
E7760IMS_MC_OK.480 : bios modded with UBU to update the microcodes, no nvme support (size : 6M)
E7760IMS_MC+NVME.480 : bios modded with UBU then uefitool to add nvme support, this is the one to use to have latest microcode updates and nvme support. (size : 6M)

msBS0002.png

msBS0003.png