[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@Obi_Yoann : Thanks for your feedback and congratulations for your success!
Advice: Users of a similar mainboard, who are interested in one of your modded BIOSes, may find it easier, if you offer them within >this< Sub-Forum.
Enjoy your optimized system!

Hi all, need help with trying to patch BIOS for Supermico X9SCLĀ±F (2.3a) original.rar
I have inject two types of modules by different tools, other methods have remove one "Pad-file" section:

compare.png

All two methods i have compared by two ways - visually in UEFITool v0.28.0 and WinMerge 2.16.10.0.

1 type by AMIā€™s Aptio UEFI MMTool v4.50.0.23 mmtool.rar (only NvmExpressDxe_Small.ffs by ā€œinsert compressedā€ did not remove ā€œPad-fileā€, if insert ā€œAs isā€ - ā€œPad-fileā€ section is removed, if i try insert, even compressed, NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs program says ā€œfile size exceeds volume sizeā€).
Seems that successfully injected file has minimum changes in WinMerge:

compare_mm.png

2 type by UEFITool v0.28.0 uefitool.rar (only NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs did not remove ā€œPad-fileā€ section, NvmExpressDxe_Small.ffs uncompressed is remove ā€œPad-fileā€ section. I donā€™t know how compress and insert module in this tool, so - i have compare only uncompressed variants), but in WinMerege there is a lot of changes:

compare_uefi.png

Motherboard is Server type, i donā€™t want that there was a ā€œbugsā€ or damaged modules inside BIOS, but want full NVME functionality with BOOT compatibility. So, what version i must flash or any ideas about this?

original.rar (2.09 MB)

mmtool.rar (2.09 MB)

uefitool.rar (2.1 MB)

@Gektor : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
If you want help, you should attach or give us links to the original and your modded BIOS.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando
I have edited my post and attach files. Thank you.

P.S.
One more question, i need to boot in Proxmox UNIX-like system (Lunix 5.4 with grub for EFI):

boot.png

i think, it must boot (freshly installed) system from M.2 NVME drive without problems?

@Gektor : Your modded BIOSes (both of them) seem to be fine and are ready to be flashed, no matter which one you will take.
Donā€™t worry about the hex code changes, which are primarily caused by the compression of the complete DXE Driver Volume.
Regarding your question about booting off a ā€œLinux Boot Managerā€ I donā€™t know the answer, because I have never tried that. My advice: Try it!

Hello together.
i am happy to find this posts about upgrading the older bios to support booting from pci-e card nvme disks.

as i have two older models of dell i want try this to them.

i have
dell 9020 minitower
dell 7020 small formfactor

first
i want ask wether it is possible with this models the way described here?

second
if it is possible and i try the modification myself

is somebody here who would have the knowledge and the very kindness to double-check my modifications before i try flash them?

becauseā€¦ shureā€¦
i not want to brick my machines.
if this happens i not have the possibility of desoldering or reprogramm the chips itself in any way. due to the lack of expierience and gadgets to do this.
regards michael

@mmh3 :
Hello Michael, welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

To be able to answer this question, I need the "pure" original BIOS files (no *.exe ones).

Yes, I will do it (if nobody else should be faster).
Note: It may be more difficult to get the modded BIOS properly flashed than to modify the BIOS.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Dell 9020 and 7020 might have a service jumper for SPI servicing. If so it might be easier to work on own SPI dumps and flash them back with fpt.

hi.
thank you very much for the possiblity to let you check.

the status is nowā€¦
i try many times to get the original bios backed up.
using the intel fpt from the tools version 9.1 as adviced in the dell forum itself (which lead me to here) and shown as "easy"

i use the command
fptw64.exe -bios -d backup.bin
(and i use as administrator)

but this only start then after about 5 second the program crashes.
and this behavior i only get when the computer has been started "fresh"

when i try it a second or more times without restart the computer i get the message that there is no access to the ME-drivers and that i have to start "as administrator" (what i have doneā€¦)

i try different combinations of the pswd and service-mode jumper (yes correctā€¦ nearly all the dells have this jumper. thank you for the tip)

then i try reinstall the ME-drivers. (from your site)

everything not work. all time the same behavior like mentioned before.

then i use hwinfo to check the ME-Version to check i use the correct toolset. yes i think 9.1 is correct

i see that 80% of the ME-functions are disabled.

then i try the intel tool MEinfo to get info of the ME-engineā€¦
ā€¦same resultā€¦
ā€¦no driver access. please start as administratorā€¦

as i try everything from windows 10 i will try again today from dos.

another thought about this problem:
i realized the ME-entering screen is not show on the computer start and also nowhere in the F12 boot menu or inside the bios screens

then i also see now a sticker on the case cover "3 - ME disabled". googling this (and checking the history with the servicetag) i find that this was done from dell as an option you can order when you buy the machine and this seems to be ireversible (for normal people?)

i HOPE this not mean any attempt will not be successfull at allā€¦

ā€¦as you mentionedā€¦
the changing of the bios not seem to be the problemā€¦

when i had the try from dos i come back with the results
meanwhile i am happy about new ideas or suggestions what i could have done wrong or i can try more

michael

@mmh3

Use this tool but be careful the bin may not be exactly the megabytes that are saved in a rar file on your desktop "results.rar", it is only to know which fpt version to use to correctly backup your bios.
I hope it helps you to see which version of fpt or afudos to use.

Good luck!!

BACKUP_Tools12_2.zip (4.54 MB)

thank you i try it later tomorrowā€¦
ā€¦today i have to have "family day"
:grin:
as i see (here on my smartphone) inside the zip is an exe.
does this unpack again or i have to use it straight with a syntax?
if
what is the command i have to use?

@mmh3 : This is the thread about how to get full NVMe support and not about how to extract a Dell *.exe file. Please use the Forumā€™s ā€œSearchā€ option or look into >this< thread.

Inside the zip is the executable program only to show you which version of fpt you should use, at the end it gives you a compressed file of the results in rar format and you observe them ā€¦ Caution, bios backups are sometimes not exact in weight ā€¦ thatā€™s why you should see that the fpt version is compatible and download it from where it says fernando and use the command fpt -d backup.bin

@mmh3 Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools

Example: fpt version 8.1, so you download ME System Tools v8 r3ā€¦ extract ā€œIntel ME System Tools v8 r3.rarā€ and use Intel ME System Tools v8 r3.rar\Intel ME System Tools v8 r3\Flash Programming Tool\Windows64\fptw64

https://www.asus.com/news/ysj4ephfipyrrfoq/ I have one of these, will flashing bios work can I put the m.2 nvme drive into m.2 nvme to hd ssd converter? Will same speed come?

No, interface will still be as SATA not PCIe NVMe.
And seems that not available M.2 or PCIe slots in this models.

Iā€™ve tried this on my mobo ASUS P8Z77V-LX without success.

Downloaded latest BIOS from ASUS - P8Z77-V-LX-ASUS-2501.CAP
Loaded into MMTool and found CSMCORE, marked it and inserted NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs, saved file and reopened and verified it
Flashed with ASUS AI Suite II without errors
Went into BIOS and tried SecureBoot as UEFI and Other OS, tried CSM as Enabled, Disabled and Auto. But BIOS does not find the NVME
Running SATA as AHCI in BIOS

I have verified that the NVME is found within Windows.

Any ideas?

@MeatWar : Please tag the person to whom you address your contributions. Additional bonus: The addressee will be get notified about your reply.

@AndyB : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Do you see a device named "PATA" within the "BOOT" section of the BIOS? If yes, you should be able to get Win10 properly installed onto it. If not, I suspect a failure of the flashing procedure.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando No device named PATA. Iā€™ve flashed two times, to be sure.

Using ASUS AI Suite II was the only way I was able to flash a modded .cap file.

@AndyB : You should try an alternative method to get the modded BIOS properly flashed.

First of all, thank you, Fernando, for the guide! Field report follows.

This was my situation:
Asrock Z77 Pro3
Old Boot drive: ADATA SU800 256 GB SATA SSD

I was thinking of upgrading my system SSD to a larger size, and after reading this guide I decided to go with ADATA SX8200 PRO 1 TB PCI-E M.2 (my reasoning being, that in a year or two itā€™ll probably be time to buy a new PC and Iā€™ll already have a fast and modern drive). So I bought ADATA SX8200 PRO drive and AXAGON PCEM2-D adapter.
Thanks to your guide BIOS modding and flashing went fluently (notes: modern versions of UEFITool seem to not support image editing at all, and I had to delete mentioned DpcDxe and Udp6Dxe modules to fit a new one).

The biggest problem was trying to clone an old drive and boot from a new clone drive. It all boiled down to this: my old drive was formatted in an old MBR style and cloning it to a new drive created the same MBR partitions on a new drive, and as was mentioned in the guide, it need GPT partition style to boot from a NVMe drive. So I used AOMEI Partition Assistant to non-destructively change partition style from MBR to GPT on an old disk, then cloned the disk using same tool, and everything successfully booted from a new PCI-E drive with all my software on it!

Maybe itā€™ll help someone trying to move to a new drive and not wanting to do a clean install.

Thanks!