[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@cold : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

If you use the UEFITool, you will succeed.
Here is the proof:

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

P.S.: I have deleted the "BIOS Modding Request" thread you had started. There is no need for 2 threads about the same topic.

@ck90 :

If you really were able to get Win10 (incl. the 100 MB sized EFI boot partition) completely installed onto your NVMe SSD, you have the proof, that the Samsung 980 is bootable and your system does fully support NVMe. If you are unsure, look into the Disk Management of the OS.
Where is your problem? I don’t see any.

@Fernando :
Thank you very much for all your advice.
I managed to add NvmExpressDxe_Small.ffs using UEFI Tool as you showed.

But when I try to flash using Rufus FreeDOS on usb drive and AFUDOS with command: afudos <rom name> /P /N /R
this commands are from manufacturer (Acer) flash.bat that is attached to newer BIOS I downloaded from Acer website.
I get: "3 - Error: ROM file size does not match existing BIOS size."

Modded BIOS and screen attached.

screen.jpg

SPImod.zip (1.2 MB)

@cold : The error message you got is misleading, because the modded BIOS has exactly the same size as the original one, but it means, that you cannot flash a modded BIOS the normal way.
Since the topic “How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS” has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, please read carefully the start post of >this< thread and post there your request, if you need help.

Hi
My problem: Convert .rom to .cap
I’ve been reading for 2 hours (killmyplz) and I still don’t understand “what sticks where” to be able to create a .cap correctly.

BIOS (.cap): mega.nz/file/kxNxFYJD#yLlbA5LeVkYwz5kpBTOpRoFxe7ZpFFKbRducHmPOVoI
BIOS Modified (.rom): mega.nz/file/N8FVkI6a#9iLmAy_LUsty_oowDax2kpUiIK4S7YqaCheMmOfX-54
Motherboard: asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/CROSSBLADE_RANGER/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Unintelligible tutorial :frowning:
win-raid.com/t871f50-HowTo-Get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS-393.html#msg122114
Could you create a step-by-step video for this conversion :smiley:

Saludos desde Chile!!
PD1: I love your work
PD2: I recommend uploading only .zip files to the tutorials

The bios mod file is also capsuled, just change the extension to cap.
Open it with UEFItool and ull see.

The post u point is an extraction of the bios from the capsule module, this is an alternative method for further mods in some type of bios, that later will be append back to the original.

@MeatWar :
But
 I added the drivers (boot a m2 nvme disk from PCIE) to rom.
Are you sure it’s just changing the file extension *.rom to *.cap?

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing to the author (to save space)

The nvmExpressdxe_4 is present in the bios file.
And no, i didn t said that, i just explained whats was he doing, i dont know wot have u done if it was done correctly by you.
So did u extracted the body using UEFItool? Did u replaced back the mod in the original capsuled file bios?
The guide you need to follows is this, to do the mod NVMe: [HowTo] Get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS
USE ONLY Asus Bios Flashback, no other method.
Bios name file to use in Flashback feature is CROSBLDR.CAP

EDIT: No, if the mod is done correctly with MMTool 4.50 (Already tested, all OK) the file will stay CAP, not ROM.
There is no tutorial or need of any tool for change ROM to CAP.
The guide linked by me is well understood by all users
NOT ur link, why cant u understand it?

I don’t think he understood me. I already did all the steps to add the drivers.
Okay. That is ready 

Now I have a .rom file.
Asus doesn’t accept .rom, only .cap. Ok we all know.

The tutorial (win-raid.com/t871f50-HowTo-Get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS-393.html#msg122114) is not understood.
It does not clearly explain how to change from .rom to .cap?
Any other simpler tutorial? a video? something?

(The name of the file does not matter. It is not the problem.)

@JoaquinL :
Capsuled ASUS BIOS files usually have the extension *.CAP and stay capsuled, if you just insert or update a BIOS module.
After having removed the capsule (e.g. by using the UEFITool), the BIOS file is a normal *.ROM file (without capsule). Before you can flash such modded BIOS you have to re-insert the previously extracted capsule by using an Hex Editor.
Consequence: If you have only inserted the NVMe module, there is no need to change the extension of the modded BIOS - it stays a capsuled BIOS and should be named *.CAP. Only the first letters should be changed according to the ASUS USB Flashback rules.

@Fernando
@MeatWar

Hello 
 a few hours later

New attempt to update the BIOS using the MMTool tutorial.

Software Link MMTool: mega.nz/file/4oMinLZJ#6c7sxz0gDyPqEnAE-J_mMW7RII-2LL5GBcwUGwOnwBU
BIOS NOT modified: mega.nz/file/kxNxFYJD#yLlbA5LeVkYwz5kpBTOpRoFxe7ZpFFKbRducHmPOVoI
BIOS modified (CROSBLDR.CAP): mega.nz/file/ZhFUWDQQ#M2mphpcXwuWSnCssKzouLhJuqEUQLocft6YlnWQaCrw

Image -----> i.ibb.co/WWZD6Km/2.png
Image -----> i.ibb.co/t8ny10c/1.png

Tutorial USB BIOS FlashBack: asus.com/en/support/FAQ/1038568/
Motherboard: asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/CROSSBLADE_RANGER/HelpDesk_BIOS/
Pendrive 16 GB in FAT32

Result: Blinks for 5 seconds and the light remains on without blinking.
30 minute wait without changes. The light does not go out.

Image -----> i.ibb.co/gyLrhgm/3.jpg

I restart the computer and it works normally but without the BIOS update.
any ideas?

Yes it happens a lot, try different brand/models of USB drives 2.0, the smallest size, to be certain of witch is working ok, test first with the original unmoded bios file.
If the blinking stops, its not reading/updating.
Its ur first time using Asus Bios flash back feature? Wot is the current bios version on the motherboard? Should be the same as the mod ur trying to flash, not older.

Requirements Tool: Prepare a USB flash drive with a capacity of 1GB or more. *Requires a single sector USB flash drive in FAT16 / 32 format.

Identify the correct USB port (USB3 next to FB button), ive done updates in FAT also not only FAT32, the info is not always accurate from Asus models.

@MeatWar
I re-installed the BIOS and verified that:
The pendrive is working, the USB port is working, the USB BIOS FlashBack application is working - all right.
Latest BIOS available: image -----> i.ibb.co/LR0GyvS/5.png
System BIOS: image -----> i.ibb.co/DwMjW7b/4.jpg

But the update with the method does not work for me: image -----> i.ibb.co/4M2J3c7/6.jpg
Methods:
1) AMI’s Aptio UEFI MMTool + “NvmExpressDxe_4” don’t work
2) AMI’s Aptio UEFI MMTool + “NvmExpressDxe_Small” don’t work

First of all
 what was ur next action after the update? Config bios and get a new installation of the OS on the NVMe disk?
Do u know how to install the OS correctly in the NVMe disk?
U will not see any NVMe disk in bios
this is a MOD not an oficial solution for old motherboards
u will only see the NVMe on destination disk upon OS setup stage.
IT HAS nothing to do do with regular or small dxe module, the previous mod bios file was OK.

My dear friend, without any reading u cant learn
 of course u can t see nothing.
Go read the damm #1 POST
ALL of it.

@MeatWar

- AMI’s Aptio UEFI MMTool + “NvmExpressDxe_4” + “Re-encapsulamiento” FUNCIONANDO!

InstalaciĂłn completada.

Subiré mås fotos durante la semana.

Placa madre: ASUS CROSSBLADE RANGER A88x

- BIOS base (Ășltima actualizaciĂłn disponible): mega.nz/file/kxNxFYJD#yLlbA5LeVkYwz5kpBTOpRoFxe7ZpFFKbRducHmPOVoI
- BIOS base sitio oficial: asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/CROSSBLADE_RANGER/HelpDesk_BIOS/

image -----> i.ibb.co/LR0GyvS/5.png

- BIOS modificada y funcionando: mega.nz/file/RtMWDDSJ#nymmWaozWE991yV-f_vLuGqRsz8fVpFxiS8tyW77bAM
- Para usar el sistema de USB BIOS FlashBack el archivo debe tener el nombre CROSBLDR.CAP
- Al parecer se puede realizar la actualizaciĂłn desde la misma BIOS, a travĂ©s de “EZ Flash Utility”. No lo he probado, pero deberĂ­a funcionar.
- Bonus para saber donde poner el pendrive: image -----> i.ibb.co/qFh8Yrt/USB-BIOS-PORT.png

##########

Mi problema fue que, luego de crear la nueva BIOS no hice el “re-encapsulamiento” del .CAP para que la BIOS me aceptara el nuevo archivo.
Por eso no reconocĂ­a el .CAP y al usar el botĂłn para actualizar de la placa madre, parpadeaba un par de segundos y se quedaba la luz prendida sin hacer nada mĂĄs.

Eso de copiar con el “hex editor”, si bien es fĂĄcil de hacer, entender quĂ© cosa se copia en dĂłnde, no lo es.

Recomendaciones a los admins:

1) Mejorar este tutorial para placas ASUS: win-raid.com/t871f50-HowTo-Get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS-393.html#msg122114
1.1) DeberĂ­an usar programas para grabar el proceso (especĂ­ficamente el del re-encapsulamiento) como imagen gif y les aseguro que no tendrĂ­an tantos mensajes pidiendo ayuda.
1.2) Recomiendo: gifcam.softonic.com

2) Lo otro es que tampoco tienen un link en el tutorial principal para descargar el software Link MMTool (lo dejo acĂĄ para que lo puedan agregar) mega.nz/file/4oMinLZJ#6c7sxz0gDyPqEnAE-J_mMW7RII-2LL5GBcwUGwOnwBU
2.1) Yo usé el otro método (solo UEFITool), ya que el software (MMTool) no estaba disponible aquí.
Eso me generó un .ROM y el nuevo problema en ese momento fue: Pasar un .ROM a un .CAP
 En eso gasté unas 2 horas de lectura y no pude resolverlo. Por eso fue que escribí en este foro.

3) Usar archivos ZIP para comprimir las descargas.

4) Deberían poder aceptar donaciones en criptos (BTC al menos). En mi “circulo” estamos arrancando de PayPal.

5) Y finalmente MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!

PD: Usé el español, que es mi idioma para poder expresarme mejor.
EDIT by Fernando: Since the author had written his/her report in spanish language, I have put it into a spoiler (to save space).

@JoaquinL

Well my friend, glad that u made it
 even choosing the wrong method, thats why u lost too much time.
Of course Asus bios flash back wasn’t working with ROM, we all know that
 u didnt because u dont like to read and learn.
The other users dont get a ROM file because the follow the right guides, u dont.
So dont bother posting any more info, its gonna confuse other users, u started ur mod by seeing a special request case
 on POST#78543634543895 bn348t785ty78ety787856t4i

By the way
 i like the concept of Virtual Currency but i hate miners.

Help I have a badge GA-B75M-D3H (only rev. 1.2) and I would like a BIOS mod for NVme SSD support based in f15 that doesn’t delete anything like it does @Lost_N_BIOS

@fabriccio : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
This is the thread for users, who are willing to do the required BIOS modification themselves by following the guide, which is within the start post.
Users, who want to get an already modded BIOS, should post their BIOS modding request into >this< Sub-Forum and start there a new thread, if a matching one does not yet exist. Don’t forget to attach or link to the original BIOS for your specific mainboard. By the way - Lost_N_BIOS hasn’t been online for several months.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Dieter,

Thanks for your reply. I took a screenshot of it now (print screen of disk utility, showing the 980 and the EFI partition (300mb)). Still no luck. It will never appear in bios as Windows boot manager (unfortunately).

Disk utility view when booting from another drive.PNG

@ck90 :
Thanks for the attached picture, which verifies, that
a) you are obviously still booting in Legacy mode using the Master Boot Record partition scheme (the NVMe BIOS module will not be loaded) and
b) the EFI partition has been created on the Samsung 980 SSD, but not with the normal size (100 MB).
Question: Why did you not exactly follow my guide regarding the OS installation onto the NVMe SSD? Which is the content of the 2 disk drives named "ESD-ISO" and "RUFUS W10"?