[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

I just recorded everything I did - but that might have been "too much". I actually skipped a lot of messing around with legacy mode and restoring boot loaders (both windows & linux ^^).
1. I formatted it with msdos before that on my old win 10 installation, so I wanted to be on the safe side. But I suppose that was optional. Since I now have a working windows install I am not to eager to retry it with an unformatted disk.
2. Well, you know what they say: "if you have a hammer, every thing looks like a nail" - I prefer working on linux [shell] and the first thing that popped googling on creating a win10 usb stick was winusb :wink:
But I suppose if I had known about rufus, I would have used that instead. It looks like the tool should be well suitable, too.

Yes, unless you have put the EFI boot sector onto it.

:stuck_out_tongue: I know. I didnā€™t tell windows to put it there, but I donā€™t trust MS do to things rightā€¦ but well, I suppose it didnā€™t (just tested, post above edited accordingly)

Why should I? The topic of this thread is "How to get full NVMe support for older Intel Chipsets" and not "How to get the best performance with an NVMe SSD."

I see your point and think itā€™s totally valid. I still believe a "advanced topic" or "suggested reading" would be cool, but optional.

Best, Sebastian

Iā€™ve followed the guide but canā€™t get my intel 750 to be seen as bootable in my sz68r5.

The google drive link is my current bios file. It is a modified version of the shuttle release 205 to unhide some cpu power limit settings.

Adding NVME support via insertion of the three NVME modules in the CSMCORE region did not allow the 750 to appear as bootable either in bios or in win10 installer.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByDtNwā€¦RDd5Z3NvQVlWbTQ

Stock bios can be found here:
http://global.shuttle.com/news/productsDā€¦?productId=1572

Thanks,
cirthix

It wonā€™t show up in BIOS. If itā€™s not showing in Windows thereā€™s something else wrong.

@cirthix :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

As LocutusEstBorg has written, nobody sees the Intel 750as "Intel 750" within the BIOS as bootable drive. A new "Windows Boot Manager" entry is all what should see within the "BOOT" section of the UEFI BIOS.

The guide recommends to insert just 1 single BIOS module named "NvmeExpressDxE.ffs" and not 3 of them.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

The guide recommends to insert just 1 single BIOS module named "NvmeExpressDxE.ffs" and not 3 of them.

Has the guide changed? I remember seeing this a while back as inserting "Nvme", "NvmeSmm", and "NVMEINT13" like in this post https://imgur.com/a/x5hyI.
Trying the "NvmeExpressDxE.ffs" module now. Thanks.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted text removed (to save space)

All my guides are changed resp. updated, when there are news regarding the topic.
That is why the users should have a look into the start post of the related thread, before they begin their work.

I have identified the real cause of my problems. My monitorā€™s power adapter had failed. After being in standby for a long time, it would switch off and not power the monitor. After testing I found that in CSM Disabled mode if the GPU is plugged in to a powered off monitor, it causes a VGA Not Detected error. In CSM Enabled mode, it boots fine and the monitor can be powered on later. Since with the BIOS mod I was only running CSM Disabled mode, I attributed it to the mod. I guess this issue is because my monitor is a G-SYNC monitor.

i have Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/productā€¦spx?pid=4487#ov

iā€™m trying to mod BIOS, add NVMe DxE, like #1 press insert but have an errror:
"File sieze exceeds the volume size"

please help me to solve it!

|addpics|7e9-1-0e55.png-invaddpicsinvv|/addpics|

@recode :

If there is not enough space for the NVMe module within the BIOS file and even the insertion of the pre-compressed variant of the NvmeExpressDxE module (look >here<) should fail, you may have to remove another EFI module from the BIOS, which is not required for your current system (example: the Intel RAID EFI module named "SataDriver" resp. "RaidDriver" for an Intel chipset system, whose Intel SATA Controller is running in AHCI or IDE mode).
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I can verify this works on an ASRock z87 Extreme 6 with an Intel 750 NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 AIC SSD.

I used the file uncompressed NvmeExpressDxE Fernando posted with the latest 2.40 BIOS. I had to remove something to make room to insert it and I removed eMail_DXE which seems to only be for emailing tech support from within the BIOS. Also had to use UEFITools to remove the capsulation. The drive will show up as ā€˜PATAā€™. The BIOS options have to be set for Fastboot disabled, CMS enabled and I think all the options there need to be Legacy. I disabled all SATA controllers to install Windows 7 x64 and used Rufus (first time using it, highly recommend) to create my USB installer, used GPT, NTFS and a Windows 7 x64 ISO. I also had to manually copy the file bootmgfw.efi from ā€˜sources\install.wim\1\Windows\Boot\EFIā€™ (use 7zip to get inside the install.wim) to the USB drive in efi\boot\ and rename it bootx64.efi. I had the Intel drivers on a 2nd USB drive and loaded them once in the Installer screen.

The Intel 750 takes will cause the boot process to seem to pause for about 10+ seconds but this is how everyone reports it to work I read this on an Intel thread ā€œIt seems like the IntelĀ® SSD 750 Series drive will take longer to enumerate (therefore boot). This is a combination of longer PCI initialization time (than SATA) and the SSD ensuring a stable boot.ā€

If CSM is enabled there is no need to mod. The whole point of the mod is to run without CSM.

@RapidSanta :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your detailed description of the procedure how you succeeded.

Another option would have been to let the UBU tool do this work.

If you would haven chosen the FAT formatting Rufus option (instead of the NTFS one), you should have been able to boot directly off the USB Flash Drive in UEFI mode.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I had made a custom windows install using nLite, with drivers, updates, etc. The .wim file was bigger than 4GB, wasnā€™t sure if exFAT would work, but I used NTFS before and knew it would. I chose UEFI boot option. I now have Debian dual booting with Windows 7.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted text removed (to save space and to improve the readability)

The Boot Manager will not show an NTFS formatted USB flash drive as "[UEFI] <Name of the USB flash drive>". This would require a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive.

The Boot Manager will not show an NTFS formatted USB flash drive as "[UEFI] <Name of the USB flash drive>". This would require a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive.

I just re-created the media and found out that Rufus creates another 256KB FAT partition on the disk. In that 256KB partition it has a readme.txt

This partition was created by Rufus (https://rufus.akeo.ie).
It is used for booting NTFS partitions in UEFI mode.

For details, see https://github.com/pbatard/uefi-ntfs.

It also has the /EFT/ folder with a Boot/ containing bootia32.efi and bootx64.efi and the /EFI has a Rufus/ with ntfs_ia32.efi and ntfs_x64.efi

Will this method to add an NVMe Bios module work on Intel based laptops too? I own an P651SG Clevo Notebook (XMG P505 Pro) with Intel CPU i7-4710HQ with Mobile Intel HM87 Express chipset which does not have NVMe support (and its confirmed that there will not be an officially Bios update)?

edit i tried a little with my laptops stock Bios found here

i did the steps like in the OP but i always get ā€œFile size exeeds the volume sizeā€ when trying to insert the Module. I tried to insert the NVMe Module (tried to add the uncompressed NVMe ROM and because it did not work i tried in an other attemp the compressed NVMe ROM) into the latest laptop firmware.

May sombody help me out what am i doing wrong?

@AndiiiHD :
If there is not enough space within the BIOS for the insertion of an additional module, you may have to remove an original present, but not really required BIOS module.
Warning: I generally do not recommend to modify the BIOS of a Mobile system. The risks of a bricked device are much higher than with a Desktop system.
Good luck nevertheless!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Fernando,
i have replaced the SATA ROM in my old P170EM Laptop (using your guide) to add TRIM support for Raid0. This had worked fine. So i had done this before. Do you have any ideas which module is "not really required" - just point me some directions please :wink:

Without any knowledge about the content of the related BIOS and your current resp. desired future configuration it is impossible to answer this question.

ok i have asked Prema - the GURU of Clevo Bios Modding - if he can add NVMe support with your guide in his Bios Mods. I do not have enough knowledge to test this for myself :smiley: but i never used PXE Boot, Trusted Platform, Intel Rapid Start - so this could be deleted in my opinionā€¦