[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@Fernando Thank you. The original BIOS is here

Some more things regarding this topic:
1. in point 2 of the post, it says The mainboard BIOS should offer the required UEFI boot settings. I wonder what settings it is
2. in point 4 of the post, it says The on-board Intel SATA Controller should not been set to “RAID” mode within the BIOS. I have an unlocked BIOS but I don’t know where it is

SetAMITO.zip (4.37 MB)

@evnchn : The modded BIOS seems to be fine and ready for being flashed. If you don’t know how to do it, please read the start post of >this< thread. If you are unsure about how to flash the modded BIOS, post into the linked thread.

Nearly all UEFI BIOSes offer the "CSM" settings (ENABLED/DISABLED) and the option to prefer Legacy or UEFI Option ROM modules.

In most cases this setting doesn’t matter. Don’t touch the current setting and try it.
Good luck!

Flashed success but no success in BIOS booting from the M.2 SSD. I used migration tool of EaseUS to migrate the content of the original drive to the new drive. Tried CSM on / off, PXE OpROM on / off to no avail. In Chipset menu, there are PCIE express configuration, and only Port 9 have topology set as M.2. I’ll use the original boot drive for now until further breakthrough. @Fernando any ideas?

Also, should be possible to view all BIOS options by just looking at the dump itself, maybe still some missing configuration to be done

@evnchn : To be sure, that the modded BIOS has really been flashed into the mainboard’s BIOS chip, I recommend to look for a device named “PATA” within the BOOT section of the BIOS (CSM has to be enabled for this test).

I have tried CSM on / off and do not see anything in the boot order, not to mention "PATA".

I have dumped the BIOS once again to check if the NVMe module was inserted. Yes, it was, yet somehow checksum different. Maybe because BIOS settings changed

dumpchecksum.png

dumpcheck.zip (4.38 MB)

SetAMITO-NVMe.zip (4.37 MB)

dumpcmd.png

That’s why we never advise cloning drives… this is a mod that fits in hundreds of motherboards and we cant expect that all of them reacts as we “expect”.
The module is present in ur dumped bios region.
So take the original drive out and leave on the NVme SSD, perform a clean install according Fernando’s guide, for troubleshooting. Always UEFI/GPT, never CSM ON/Auto.

@RSI68 :
hi, can you please guide me to do the same as i have the same mobo. i am not able to figure the proper way of doing it. thanks

Edit by Fernando: Fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing to the author (to save space)

Try harder… as u saw, that user followed the guidance, theres only 2 ways, MMTool or UEFItool.
And since u dont share ur revision motherboard ou bios being used, no one can give more guidance than the guide on 1st post.

Hi, may I know is it okay to mod the Instant Flash bios from Asrock with the extension 10 (file type).

Thank you for any help that is available.

Yes, its OK and never flash any mods in Windows.

However, I wasn’t able to do a side by side comparison of the Modded and Original bios side by side using the UEFI tool because it I can’t find the NvmExpressDxe_4 or any Dxe driver using the UEFI tool.
Take note that i have successfully inserted the module with the MMtool, and I have used the verification method by Fernando
Conclusion:
I can see the module using MMtool but not when I used the UEFI tool.

Sorry for the trouble

That is impossible. You should search for the module within the correct DXE Driver Volume.

Thanks for the help
Everything is working now on my Asrock z77 Pro3
Thank you for the amazing guide.

Hello All,
I’m a new arrival, found my way here from the sth forum, as part of the possibility of adding nvme support to my supermicro x10drh-it motherboard, after reading about some people’s success with other x10 series supermicro boards.

So far I have modded the most recent bios version with uefi tool and added the nvme ffs file in the spot I felt that the startpost describes. Now clearly, that doesn’t work (can’t find nvme anywhere in the boot options though the system does have an nvme pcie card and a drive installed, though it doesn’t currently contain a bootable image), though the system runs fine with the modded bios, as evidenced by this post. So, most likely, I put the nvme driver in the wrong place.
The startpost references csmcore, which is something I wasn’t able to find in my bios, so I tried to determine what the first dxe driver section was in the tree.
I’m hoping someone else might have some more specific guidance where exactly to place the nvme ffs file in the bios, so I can give it another go?

Hello everyone,

I recently tried to give my Mainboard, ASUS P8Z77-V LX full NVMe support using this description. Since the mainboard does not have the ASUS USB Flashback Feature, I copied the modded BIOS .CAP file to a FAT32 USB Stick and tried to flash it using the EZ-Flash Application directly from the BIOS. But when I did so, I got an error Message telling me, the “Security verification failed!”. First I thought this could be the case because of file naming, but when I renamed the modded BIOS .CAP file to the name of the original .CAP file, this didn’t work either.

I also did the Hex Editing mentioned and linked in the first blogpost but this also had no effect (maybe I did it wrong?).

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this? Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: Added BIOS Files

ModBIOS.zip (4.22 MB)

SourceBIOS.zip (4.21 MB)

@DrummerCRM : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
>Here< is a guide how to flash a modded ASUS UEFI BIOS, if the mainboard doesn’t support the “USB Flashback” feature.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I since had the belated idea to check my modded bios against a reported working bios for a X10Dri on sth (posting link apparently not allowed, as I’m too new DuckDuckgo search: “supermicro x10drh-it nvme boot”) brings up the topic for me.
Unfortunately, my mod and this reported working one are both in identical places in the bios, so that doesn’t appear to be the issue.
Means that I’m kinda stuck for the moment. Not sure where to go from here, so if anyone has any insights, I’d love to hear it.
Only thing I can think of is that I’m simply not able to find the option in the bios, though I feel I have searched quite exhaustively. All suggestions most welcome.

edit: added original most recent X10DRH-iT bios, as well as the modded version that the board is currently running

X10DRH1original.zip (4.62 MB)

X10DRH1modded.zip (4.61 MB)

@solon : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Please attach the original and your modded BIOS as separate *.ZIP or *.RAR archive. Then I will look into them and tell you what may be wrong.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando : Just in case you don’t receive a notification of an edit, I have added both bios files to my previous post.
Thank you very much for taking the time to look into it. Most curious what might be going on.
Could this be related to the nvme card I’m using? I have a single pcie to nvme card from the Chinese comrades at the moment, but I have 4 original supermicro 2x nvme cards on the way, so if it’s related to that that ought to clear it up.

@solon : Thanks for the attached BIOSes.
Your modded BIOS seems to be fine. Provided, that you have inserted any NVMe SSD into the PCIe>M.2 adapter and enabled the CSM option within the BIOS, you should see a device named "PATA" as bootable device. This is the proof, that your BIOS has been correctly modded regarding NVMe support.
Nevertheless you cannot really boot off that device (due to the missing Option ROM). To be able to boot off the NVMe SSD, you should strictly follow the chapter "4. Installation of the OS onto the NVMe SSD" of my guide.
Good luck!