[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@bapteash
Windows can only see and manage an SSD, which has been detected by the BIOS.

These are the requirements to be able to boot off an NVMe SSD:

1. The mainboard BIOS must contain an NVMe EFI module (only exception: Samsung’s 950 Pro has an NVMe Option ROM) and the BIOS settings must allow booting in UEFI mode.
  2. The OS partition must use the GuiMode Partition Table (GPT). Only the Samsung 950 Pro can natively use the LEGACY MBR partition scheme.

@orgun
As soon as I have the required free time I will do a deeper look into the BIOS files.

The v5 NVMe module is not an upgrade, but just an optimization of the formerly offered v4 module. There is no difference regarding its function.

Thank you for your time! :clap:

Before I modded my BIOS, I could see the NVMe Apple SSD inside the Device and Disk Managers, that, within another install of Windows on a SATA SSD.

So do you mean that BEFORE I modded my BIOS, this later was already seeing and reporting my Apple SSD?

I honestly think you can made an exception for the Samsung 950 Pro, AND you can now make another exception for the case of NVMe Apple SSDs coming from 2013-2017 MacBooks (Pro and Air). These were mainly made by Samsung, maybe that’s the reason why they are another exception? I tried everything to boot from it on the HP desktop. Again, I could install Windows on it, but even if I have literally zero SATA devices, BIOS set to boot UEFI, Legacy disabled, I just can’t seem to get the HP to boot off the Apple SSD. After Windows files are copied, it won’t boot. If I put the Apple SSD in the modern desktop: it continues the setup. I’d like to try again, really, but I read your guide thoroughly and unless I’m really blind, I did everything right. It just won’t happen. Best thing I can do is buying a M.2 NVME to PCI-e adapter and try my Samsung 980 SSD that I currently use on my main rig from 2019, by installing it on the HP with the modded BIOS.

@orgun
By a comparison of both modded BIOSes I cannot find any reason why one worked and the other not.
Please attach the original BIOS F5F.
Question: Where did you get it? I couldn’t find this BIOS version on Gigabyte’s Support page for your mainboard.

You must select revision 1.1 to find the correct BIOS on support page. But I attached the original here. :slight_smile: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI-rev-11/support#support-dl-bios
mb_bios_ga-x79s-up5_f5f.zip (3.9 MB)

@orgun
After having checked all 3 BIOSes here is my diagnosis: Both of your modded BIOSes are 100% fine and should work.
The only possible explanation for the boot failure after having replaced the BIOSes is, that the EFI Boot Partition of your NVMe SSD still contains the path to the “NvmExpressDxe_4” module, but cannot find the target module anymore.
If I am right, here are 3 possible solutions for your problem:
a) Reflash the formerly used modded BIOS, which contains the missing NvmExpressDxe_4 module.
b) Rename the NvmExpressDxe_5.ffs to NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs. Then re-modify and re-flash the BIOS.
c) Make a complete backup of your drive C, start a fresh OS installation according to my guide and then recover the drive C as it is now by using the stored backup.

Solved!
What did I do?
I remembered that when I used version 4 I enabled bifurcation because my card supports 4x ssd. The strange thing is that I found that the SSD only appeared in the BIOS if I installed it backwards to the nvme card. Ex: It has the identification SSD1,SSD2,SSD3,SSD4 and it only appears when I install it in the SSD4 SLOT because I hadn’t bought the other SSDs yet :p. On diskmark there was a positive difference compared to the black and white print I took a while ago.
thanks a lot for the help friend!
God bless you! :raised_hands:

NVME 4 with bifurcation 4x4x4x4
Screenshot 2022-09-07 173402

NVME 5 with bifurcation 4x4x4x4
Screenshot 2022-09-07 173052

1 Like

I have a HP OMEN 15t-5000CTO that I am trying to modify my bios for. I followed your steps in MMTool I dont see CSMCORE or DXE listed in my bios file. If I try the UEFI tool it finds files names DXE but the subfile type category wont show anything so I dont know if I am modifying the right thing. Any help or suggestions? Link to my unmodified bios

Why are you doing this mod on this machine model?
The HP model seems to support PCIe SSDs as there’s a FW update in the support page.
Maintenance and Service Guide says it supports both M.2 NVMe (PCIe) and SATA 3
Bios is H2OInsyde not AMI to use MMtool.

Hello folks,
I’m equipped with a MSI Z87-G43 motherboard, on which I pluged a SSD980 on a PCIe. I would like to boot on this SSD. I modded the last bios available following the step by step guide (awsome guide by the way). On the last step verification, I notice some change around the added module. A “pad file” has been removed, and a line “volume free space” appear. See below.

Is it somethink I shall worry about ? Do you think there is some risk to flash with this modded bios ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Yes. dont flash it, use different versions of the UEFI tool and/or MM tool until you get one mod that doesnt loose the pad.

I followed the guide for the bios mod for X9DRI-LN4F+ and there were no issues. After updating the bios the motherboard is bricked. I am fine with getting another one of the same motherboard but if there a known working bios which I can use this time around?

Well, there’s one guide but several methods to do the job. Since we don’t know what you did and how you checked the structure of the modded bios, it’s not possible to comment.

Use UEFIToolNE to check if the modded bios has the same structure as the stock bios- most often it’s disappeared pad- files or newly added pad- files that brick a board, but most of the time different versions of UEFITool ot mmtool are able to insert the module properly.

In addtition there’s a modden version posted by the user haVck which seemed to work…

Hi everyone,

I just try to install a bios mod from @falcontech post and it’s working! Maybe a little bit unstable (1 on 6-7 boot crashed) but I think it’s Windows problem. I have to test it a lttle bit. Fresh instalation, maybe another PCIE slot.

Dear Fernando, many thanks for your thread, very helpfull and easy to follow. I’ve been onto full instrctions and a “pad file” is now missing on my modded bios (MSI AMI BIOS for BG85-G43) but existing on the original. Well, at this point, what would you recommand?
here the “pure” i used (MSI France).

Many thanks for any help :slight_smile:

@Colap See 4/5 posts above.

Thanks for your reply, can you please tell me which version of these tools should be suitable? any path to find those ?

@Colap
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

You may have to try several different BIOS modding tool versions (e.g. MMTool Aptio 5.00.0007 or MMTool Aptio 5.02.0024 Mod, both work with AMI Aptio IV BIOSes). You will find them after having read and followed the “search” tip within the start post chapter “This is what you need:”.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello.

Thanks for your work.
I succeeded mod HP ENVY H8-1400ef Intel Z75 by adding NvmExpressDxe_5.ffs but need to correct checksum for flash it with Safuwin.exe .
I cannot find any answer in the special topic linked.
There’s utility for correct it?

Edit : now it report FSS = Ok but… incorrect bios for the system :cold_sweat: