[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

This cannot be 100% true, because the device named “PATA” will never be shown within the BIOS, if CSM has been disabled.

Thank you for this guide. I found the link from a Youtube video. Anyway I can confirm I got this to work on a Lenovo RD440 server motherboard that is now booting to an Optane M.2 NVMe with an adapter in a slot. Will try my old i7-3770k board (same as the video) sometime this weekend. I show the same “PATA SS” as an option until I get Proxmox installed, then I have the option for UEFI OS followed by my drive model. Everything runs great!

1 Like

@rsr911
Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum and thanks for yur feedback.
Enjoy it being able to boot off an NVMe SSD with this old system!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

1 Like

Hi there,

i got an MSI Z87-G41. The NVME-SSD is allready running under Win10.
I also tryed to boot from the SSD via USB-Stick and Clover, but diddnt work.
Now iam at the Step to check the modifyed BIOS from my Mainboard, and i think theres a Problem with the PAD-Files. There is one PAD-File missing in the Modded BIOS.
What can i do about it?

(Sorry for my bad English xD )

here is the screen of the Original Bios:

Read the guide, check:
Step 2
B.
c)

Hey i have a question how hard it would be to add to the bios of rx300 s7 the support for e5 2690 v2 cpu? I see that you are the first person that succeed at getting the modded bios installed on fujitsu servers :smiley:

@goldenyakuS
What has your question to do with the topic of this thread? Please post your request into the matching “BIOS Modding Requests” Forum Category.

Hello everyone,

I’m encountering an issue with adding PCIe NVMe boot support to a Dell Optiplex 3040. I have a model that doesn’t have an M.2 NVMe slot on the motherboard, so I decided to buy a PCIe card with an M.2 NVMe slot. However, after installing the system on it, I wasn’t able to boot from it. I attempted to add the NVMe driver with a UEFI tool, but after flashing it, the system just posted, so I had to flash the original BIOS with a CH341A flashing tool. I’m attaching the original .bin file for reference: Original BIOS .bin file. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

@Aquerir
Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum!
This is a thread for users, who are willing ans able to modify their mainboard BIOS themself.
If you want to get a modified BIOS, please post your request into the “BIOS Modding Requests” Category.
Good luck and happy New Year!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello, I have an MSI Big bang x-power 2 motherboard (MS-7737) and I purchased the WD_BLACK™ AN1500 NVMe™ SSD Expansion Card.

I plugged it into my pci x8 port on my motherboard and in the bios it is not detected, but on the windows desktop it is detected.

Windows formatted my disk, my partition is in ntfs, but I have a problem when I restart my PC, the disk partition changes to RAW.

I have to re-format the disk each time, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t, from time to time when I boot the PC, before arriving on the Windows desktop, Windows analyzes and repairs the disk and once arrived on the Windows desktop, my disk is in ntfs again, but if I restart the PC, the disk will go back to RAW.

I would like to clarify that I have no data on the disk, I intended to clone my windows HDD to the WD_BLACK™ AN1500 NVMe™ SSD.

I wanted to know if the tutorial for adding the nvme module in my bios could solve my problem? and does adding the nvme module also work for SSDs connected to PCI Express?

Thanking you for reading me and for your help.
ps “sorry if my english is bad i use google translate”

@Dragons Welcome to the Win-raid Forum!
Since your old MSI mainboard has an Intel X79 chipset, I suspect, that you will have to add the missing NVMe BIOS module to be able to boot off any NVMe SSD. To be sure about it, I recommend to open the latest BIOS version according to my guide and to look for a “DXE Driver” module named “nvme”. If you should not find such module, your mainboard needs an NVMe modded BIOS.

Yes, it works as well for NVMe SSDs, which are connected via adapter to a PCIe slot!
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi @Fernando

I checked with uefi tool if I had a module named “nvme” and I didn’t have one.
So I added the “NvmExpressDxe_5” module with MMtool following your guide to the letter and I compared the 2 bios with uefi tool.
Everything is the same except the addition of “NvmExpressDxe_5”.
So so far so good.
On the other hand, in your tutorial you explain to save the modified bios generally with the same name, are the capital letters important or not? (stupid question perhaps, I apologize).
And save the modified bios with the same extension as the original bios.
My problem is that my original bios has a .280 extension and when I save with MMtool it only suggests that it is in .fd
I haven’t tried with uefi tool.
I thank you in advance for your help.

E7737IMS280.rar (5.1 MB)

EDIT:

Don’t know where you looked for… but this is what’s on MSI bios update notes panel…on their support page of your model. Also, the "SOP’ is meant to read.

hi @MeatWar and thanks for the .rar

Could you explain to me how you managed to extract the .exe files?
So that I can do it myself.
Or if you have a tutorial for that.
I thank you.

Hi @MeatWar.

I searched for a long time while the solution was before my eyes…

I put the solution here for those who have MSI motherboards.

To extract the bios image from the .exe you just have to copy and paste the .exe onto a USB key, run the .exe, the .exe will extract a folder + a file by itself.
Then an .exe message will appear and click on cancel installation.
All you have to do is copy and paste the folder + the extracted file into your USB key on your Windows desktop or on another disk and you can load the file (and not the folder) into MMtool.

If my message does not belong here in this thread, I apologize in advance and you can move it to an appropriate section. Thank You

I read it, but at no point do they say the .exe will extract the files.

They only say to run the exe and the program will launch to update.

So I searched and tested a few programs to extract what was in the .exe obviously without success because it is not sfx.

So I found a person who explained that on msi their explanation was not up to date because they changed the way the program will update the bios, in this case we run the program - it extracts the files and then we have the message to check the “I agree” box and continue.
The person therefore explained that you had to click on cancel and copy the extracted files elsewhere so that you have the bios, which is not at all marked in the sop.

Well, it doesn’t matter, at least I found how to do it and I’ll be able to move forward, that’s the main thing.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from [HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS:

Hi @Fernando

I checked with uefi tool if I had a module named “nvme” and I didn’t have one.
So I added the “NvmExpressDxe_5” module with MMtool following your guide to the letter and I compared the 2 bios with uefi tool.
Everything is the same except the addition of “NvmExpressDxe_5”.
So so far so good.
On the other hand, in your tutorial you explain to save the modified bios generally with the same name, are the capital letters important or not? (stupid question perhaps, I apologize).
And save the modified bios with the same extension as the original bios.
My problem is that my original bios has a .280 extension and when I save with MMtool it only suggests that it is in .fd
I haven’t tried with uefi tool.
Do I leave the modified bios in .fd and use msi m-flash to flash my bios or does the modified bios have to be in .280 to flash it with msi m-flash?
I thank you in advance for your help.

@Dragons
It is no problem to rename the modded BIOS file (inclusive its extension) by using capital or small letters from within the Windows Explorer.

P.S.: Since your question and my answer don’t need an extra thread, I have merged them with >this< already existing thread.

hi, I apologize for opening a new thread but this was the only way for me to be able to write a new message, because I was limited in messages posted in this thread.

When I look at your tutorial regarding the modified bios flash it is always marked that the modified bios must have the same extension as the original bios.

Original bios = .280
Modified bios = .fd with mmtool

Hence my question, can I flash the .fd bios placed alone on my usb key and passing through the bios of my motherboard to do it?

Or exactly the same thing except that the modified bios must be in .280 extension?

If yes for the second question, how do I change the extension of the modified bios from .fd to .280?

Sorry for constantly bothering you with my questions.
As it is not clear in my head regarding the modified bios flash despite the tutorial that you provided.