[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Do you accept the risk of bricking your board, i.e. the impossibility to boot? Do you have a way to recover, like USB BIOS Flashback or a programmer? This is a must, if you want to proceed.

I know Asus is looking into porting NVMe to x79/Z77/Z87, if that ever happens. Are you sure you don’t want to wait for them?

My motherboard has USB flashback, so I should be able to recover. I could of course wait for ASUS to publish officially supported bioses, but it is unclear if that is ever gonna happen…

@oddbjorn

If you really trust you can recover with USB Flashback, here is a test file. You need UEFI boot for this one to work. I have added only NVMe and NVMeSMM, but you can also test with NVMeInt13 for legacy added next to them, if the first one works.

In short, Asus is using the same three drivers for its Z97 boards, with the only difference being the timestamp. If there is a problem, it is more than likely based on the fact that the whole tree of AMI sources has been updated, so you are left with Asus inserting a compatible NVMe driver into your board’s UEFI firmware.

In more details, there are actually two versions of NVMe drivers for Z97 boards, one being just a quick fix for GRYPHON, SABERTOOTH, Z97-DELUXE. For X99 boards it is the exactly same drivers in all boards, not even timestamp updated. This is different than the one in Z97 boards, because it is for AptioV.

@ all:

It was our Forum member Hyperia, who started the NVMe discussion with this post on 04/03/2015:

Since the topic "NVMe Support" has become very popular and we got at least 2 NVMe discussion threads within different Forum sections, I decided to merge them and to give within the start post some general informations about the upcoming successor of the AHCI standard for SSDs.

I hope, that this action is ok for you.

No problem bro :slight_smile:

I’m happy to see all this guys asking so many question for obtain too NVMe :slight_smile:

Best regards

@ all NVMe enthusiasts:
To give you some toys to play/test with, I am offering now within the start post some NVMe module Sets, which I have extracted from different NVMe supporting mainboard BIOSes.

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• new: NVMe Modules extracted fom different Z97 mainboard BIOSes (ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI)
  • new: NVMe Modules extracted fom different X99 mainboard BIOSes (ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI)

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

That’s a great initiative Fernando, it should help for backwards compatibility testing as well.

Just one addition. You know how users are: either they ask for assistance and don’t reply back, or they jump right to the files and don’t read the rest of the posts. To be safe, add a big red warning that the files are based on AMI sources and extracted from the firmware of current boards (which you already did), but that they might also be customized for that board only and the insertion into another can have results ranging from NVMe not working to board not working/booting. Users should do this with recovery methods already prepared and with risks well calculated.

I have only compared Asus so far, the result being the one announced here. Now I’m not so sure if the ones from GRYPHON, SABERTOOTH, Z97-DELUXE are just a fix or a tweak. The timestamp from them is 11-02-2015, while the ones from Z97-A, Z97-Pro, Maximus VII are from 12-02-2015 or newer. So I would rather put the ones from Z97-A. Or both, if you want to. The ones from X99 are AptioV based, so they should be used for X99 boards without NVMe.

Really intrested as owner of asus z87 board.

On this ASUS PC DiY website there is a support poll to see how many people want nvme on old board.
Please spam, we need just one board with work done and after will be easy for modders.

@ Extraken:

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Sorry about the late reply. I had planned to test these modded images tonight, but unfortunately my NVMe drive has stopped working. None of its four status LEDs light up. I’ve tried all available PCIe slots on my motherboard and even another motherboard, but to no avail. I’m returning the drive to the shop and will report back as soon as I get a new working drive.

PS: It is worth noting that this happened before I got a chance to try your modded bios images, so so for all I know they might blow up your motherboard or work just fine. I simply don’t know.

Theoretically ~2GB/s. 2GB/s is just the beginning of NVMe.
Please do not forget, that PCIe 3.0 is requiered for NVMe.
PCIe 2.0 is not supported and will never be.

But from this POV, Z77/Z87 are outdated, too.
BUT neither of them have reached EOL status.

Dude, stop that shit !

NVMe need 2GB/s , that’s all so PCIe 3.0 4x or PCIe 2.0 8x is enough !!

On Z77 chipset, we have a direct way/slot PCIe 3.0 to the CPU.

And if you think it’s impossible to use another slot/way for the ssd NVMe,
you can totally use your GPU on another …

So there is absolutely no problem ! Stop rage again and again, what do you want ?
You’re jealous to see that users with older hardware that you can enjoy the NVMe ?

@Hyperia : WTF dude? I never said that it’s impossible. Nobody out there was talking about PCIe 2.0 - only 3.0. Thats the reason.
If someone tested official NVMe drives on a PCIe 2.0 slot and it is working - then it’s fine.

NVMe does not need 2 GB/s, it needs 4 GB/s (PCIe 3.0 x4). So you will not reach top performance with a PCIe 2.0 slot.
And before you start complaining, here is the link to Intel SSD 750 specifications.

BTW: NVMe on Z77 is a tradeoff. You would have to halve graphics card bandwidth to use an NVMe SSD in a PCIe 3.0 slot,
OR use a PCIe 2.0 slot and get lower performance. The first one is totally fine, if you dont some GPGPU stuff (which I do, so for me it’s a no-go).

Your post looks like “OMG he said something against my personal believes - lets bomb him to the ground with facts!”.
Now YOU stop raging!

PS: I’m not jealous at people doing incredible things with older hardware. I own an old ASUS laptop with a Pentium 3.
I modded it to support USB 2.0, WiFi, BT and an SSD (yep IDE SSDs are out there).
It was just the start of this thread, that Jest and I argued about Z77 and X79. That discussion ended 2 weeks ago.

Yes, you are right, 4GB / s are required to obtain the maximum performance, it said the situation remains the same.
A graphics card is still fully operational on a PCIe 2.0 8x slot. (2% = insignificant).

That debate ended two weeks ago.
=> This topic is not closed, the evidence, we post again.
A simple question for me there’s there for weeks to bring these reflections … the field of bios mod, mod drivers did not really limit.

This is not because today we do not find how to do this is impossible, also understand that I do not accept with joy to hear or read
possible technical incompatibilities that make the good idea to throw.

“That is requiered for PCIe 3.0 NVMe.
PCIe 2.0 is not supported and will never be.”

=> This is totally wrong
http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/I…tibility-Tested

I am totally aware of that test. The problem here is, that i read it AFTER the posting.
You are raging over a simple time issue.
Let the debate rest in pease and post some ideas or results.

@Fernando : please delete the whole possible/impossible discussion (Mr_nuub, Jest, Hyperia) so we can get some work done in here…

I will do that, if Jest and Hyperia have agreed.

@ all:
Please avoid any personally insulting posts!

LOL ! You really think you’re a pro my word !

So go back work on the limits of your knowledge, there’s plenty to do.
When you produce something other than crap, you will be our sign …

You have to be new to the subject, on this website or on drivers station to dare throw me stuff like this …

@ Hyperia:

To whome did you address your last post?
Please stop flaming against other Forum members.
If you do not agree with anyone’s opinion, write, thar you disagree, but I don’t accept any insultings within my Forum.

last post @nuub

This guy is absolutely wrong, I prove it, he opens it again … just amazing >_<"

If you prefer to take it like that, so be it good luck
You can delete my account.

I can delete the account of everyone, but I don’t want to loose valuable Forum members this way.
Please calm down.