[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Hello,

I need quite urgent advice.

If i will put (through) M.2 ->PCIe card a Samsung Sm951, will be possible to boot from such a set my RIVF based on x79? Of course i will try to make mod of the bios. Maybe somewhere i can find already modded BIOS for such a MB.

I am planning to use ASUS M.2-Pcie - HYPER_M2_X4_MINI_CARD

Also i want to say i have two GPU on SLI which runs on x16 (x32) PCIe lanes.

Best Regards,
LN

@Lord_Nikkon :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

I am pretty sure, that it will work, but there are 2 different models of the Samsung SM951 SSD (with AHCI or NVMe interface) and each of them needs another BIOS module.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I was thinking about this model - MZVPV256HDGL

According to my intel it’s a NVMe model.

As i understood from first page i need to use lastest Asus BIOS for my MB (as i remember 5001) and lastest X99 bios from asus MB and combine optios form X99 to x79 to enable NVMe suport. Is it correct? Can You create such a modded BIOS for me or i should make it by myself. RIVF has dual BIOS (as i remeber) so if I will screw up i can switch to second BIOS. I’m asking because you are pro modder and You have much smaller chances to make idiotic mistake like me.

Yes, so you need to insert a suitable NVMe EFI module into the BIOS, if you want to get this NVMe SSD bootable.
Regarding the procedure you should look for the posts within this thread written by our Forum member LocutusEstBorg. AFAIK he has the same mainboard model as you and succeeded getting his NVMe SSD bootable in UEFI mode.

I generally do not modify any BIOS upon request. Otherwise it wouldn’t have made sence to write so many BIOS Modding guides.

So i’ve got an Intel DZ77GA-70k motherboard with an i7-3770k cpu. I came across an m2 NVMe ssd and was considering using it (its a 512, but i wanted a tb so i wouldn’t have to deal with multiple drives like i currently do). However, its a hard deal to pass up.

Anyways, doing some research landed me here. Unfortunately, intel doesn’t make any z97 or newer boards anymore, they got out of the mobo game. If i wanted to add the nvme modules from a newer board of the same vendor, that sorta kills me. Do their z87 boards support NVMe? Initial research says no.

If i still wanted to add the modules, what would be next route since i cant get the bios of a newer board from the same vendor? Thanks

@Helgaiden :

Probably not.

Due to the special construction of the Intel BIOSes it is not easy to modify them and to get the modified BIOS flashed.
I am sorry, but I cannot help you.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you for the welcome!

But the bad news makes me sad. Thank you for the response, really appreciated.

So to update you on everything that has transpired in the last few weeks.

Learned that the p8p67 has a glitch that only allows it to detect 3 ram Dimm’s when the PCIE SSD P3500 intel drive is connected. I was able to boot to the drive with a modified bios (posted in the modded bios section) without the 4th dimm removed, by modifying the bios and removing the TCG TPM modules from the bios.

I noticed the P8P67 LE had 2 newer bios updates, and while I tried to find the difference I just don’t have the experience at looking at something like that, I decided after mulling over the specs of the board that they where close enough and I may loose a feature here or so but overall it should work. Well I was wrong, I failed to see that there was more phases for the power and basically flashing the LE bios on the normal P8p67 bricked the machine. While in the process of ordering a new bios chip and SPI USB programmer I some how bent some pins and bricked the board totally.

Moving forward I found a Z77a-G41 MSI board used, and unfortunately, it has the same issue with the ram but worse. Only one DIMM will be recognized, and the memory settings will not be saved as every time you boot it thinks the memory settings have changed. I still opted to try a modified bios on this to see if I could boot to the NVME drive with only one ram dimm installed and I am successful and typing to you on this machine now. MSI flatly refuses to give any support to me on this board since it’s EOL and out of warranty. I’m now debating upgrading to Skylake, but honestly 600$ for a marginal speed bump in both HDD and CPU does not seem worth it to me yet. I’d rather sink the money in to 1070GTX and pocket the extra 200 as I think i’ll gain more there than updating the CPU.

Just a quick question regarding the Steps outlined in the original post here:

There are two ‘NVMeExpressDxE’ files available for download
 a ‘NVMeExpressDxE.rar’ one and a ‘NvmeExpressDxE_compressed.rar’ one, however the Step ‘3. Insertion of the NVMe module’ states in 3c) to enable/check the ‘Insert Compressed’ option.

Does this step ‘3c / Insert Compressed’ apply always and for both files, or only for the ‘NvmeExpressDxE_compressed.rar’ one - and maybe more importantly, how would I decide which one of the two files to choose from and use (i.e. - how would I find out if my bios has ‘limited space’)?

Cheers and thanks (especially to you Dieter!),
-Joerg

@j.battermann :
Hello Joerg,
welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

You can insert the already compressed module "as is", but you should insert the uncompressed "compressed".

The "normal" procedure is to insert the uncompressed module (one reason: you can simply verify by using HxD, whether you have chosen the correct module). The AMI Aptio MMTool will give you a message, if there is not enough space within the BIOS. In this case you can try to insert an already compressed module.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Ahh I see - thanks! I’ll give this a try (in my case it’s for the ASUS P9X79-E WS) and report if / how it works 

Hi, I am struggling for 1 week already to add a Samsung 950 Pro 512GB to my (old) system - Asus P9X79 Deluxe running BIOS 4801. The nvme module sits via a PCI-E 4X adapter in one of the PCI-E x16 slots. I’ve been doing a lot of reading these days on this topic, but still it seems that I am missing something and I cannot get it working.

What I did so far:
-upgraded to the official BIOS 4801,
-prepared the modded BIOS 4801 with the file mentioned in the initial post.
-I used the flashback procedure to install the modded BIOS; it took about 10 minutes of blue light flashing, I have no idea if the operation was successful or not.
Till this point the Samsung 950Pro was not visible in the BIOS, nor in the Boot section of the BIOS, neither in the Win 7 SP1 system (+the nvme hotfix from microsoft).

At this stage, I have the Win 7 OS drive and the Samsung 950 Pro connected to my system. I am trying to install Win 10 on the NVME, but:
-the BIOS shows the NVME as a boot device when the Win 7 drive is also connected to the system (it is displayed in the Boot override section as: N1-Samsung SSD 950 PRO 512 GB)
-if I remove the Win 7 drive, the NVME is not visible anymore as boot device
-if I connect the Win 10 bootable USB, the NVME is not shown anymore in BIOS
-I prepared a Win 10 UEFI USB drive, but the Win 10 installer cannot see the NVME drive during installation. I copied the Samsung NVME driver and pointed the installer to it but the drive is not found.

Thanks for reading the long story and for maintaining this forum :)
is there any advice that you can offer?

@ccris :

Did you get a frequent flash light (before it stopped to light at all)?

Nobody sees a device named "Samsung 950 Pro" within the Boot section of the BIOS. Nevertheless it should be bootable in UEFI mode and listed as "Windows Boot Manager".

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you for answering, yes, the blue light was always flashing (alternating in high and low frequency) before stopping.
I am attaching a resized screen picture. It is listed as "N1" - maybe it is seen as a network location.

It is shown like this when another non UEFI drive is connected to the system.
When I connect the UEFI USB with Win 10, it is not shown anymore.

Also
 when I change the CSM settings for UEFI, the drive is not shown, whereas if I change everything to legacy, it is shown.

Sam950Pro.jpg

This verifies, that the EFI NVMe module either has not been properly inserted into the BIOS or the BIOS flashing procedure failed.
As the pictures show, an NVMe module is detected by the BIOS, but it is obviously the LEGACY OROM module, which is within the chip of the Samsung 950 Pro, but not the EFI NVMe module, which should be within the mainboard BIOS, if you want to boot off the Samsung 950 Pro in UEFI mode.
By the way: The BIOS option "Fast Boot" should be disabled, if you want to boot off the NVMe SSD in UEFI mode.

Hi Fernando,

So giving up on the MSI z77a-G41 board, I ended up getting a ASrock Z77 Extreme 4 which works 100% no issues at all. I gotta give credit where it’s due and ASRock, BIOS is pretty awesome, it even shows the device that it detects in the BIOS.

Not only did the board detect the drive right but I just noticed they even have their own BETA bios which allows for booting on NVME drives. I however, used your method to modify my BIOS and i’m booting to Windows on my P3500 as I always wanted in the first place without having to spend 600$ on a skylake setup which really wouldn’t be much faster than what I have. Best part is I got the board for 80$ used, my next board will certainly be a ASRock.

Did not try this but here’s the link for the ASRock beta BIOS
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Ext
ex.asp?cat=Beta

BTW I also uploaded all 3 modified bios’s to the pre-modded section one for the ASUS P8P67, MSI Z77A-G41, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4

Again thanks for everything Ferando!

Hello Fernando,
i have a MB GA-X99 Ultra Gaming with BIOS version F4. CPU is E5-1650 v4. SSD is SM951 MZVPV256HDGL (NVM Version). I was trying to install W7 Ultimate, but instal can not find SSD. I open with AMITool 5007 my BIOS and i can not find CSMCORE modul. I have add a NvmeExpressDxE from your post and flash the BIOS. But it no help. Must i install CSMCORE modul from another BIOS? Have you any idee?
Thank you

@dogar :

The latest BIOS of your Gigabyte X99 mainboard should natively support booting off an NVMe SSD. If not, I recommend to contact the Gigabyte Support.

Only AMI Aptio IV BIOSes do contain a module named CSMCORE, but X99 mainboards usually have an AMI Aptio V BIOS and no CSMCORE module.

Don’t do that, it may brick your mainboard.
By the way: The module named CSMCORE of the AMI Aptio IV BIOSes contains the LEGACY mode Option ROM modules, whereas the required NVMe module is an EFI one and should never be merged with LEGACY modules.

Hello Fernando.
Thank you for quick answer.
W10 i can easy install to ssd, but i need W7.
I have ask gigabyte support yet:

Question:
"Hello,
i have M2 SSD Samsung SSD SM951-NVMe 256GB, M.2 (MZVPV256HDGL-00000). It is supported in liste. I am trying to install Win 7 ultimate. But my hard drive is not appeared in the liste. How must i update the BIOS? Can you sent me a BIOS version to support of installing W7 on the M2 PCI-E SSD?
Thank you"

Answer:
"Sehr geehrter Herr 

Vielen Dank fĂŒr Ihre Anfrage.

Wir freuen uns ĂŒber Ihr Interesse an Produkten von GIGABYTE

Windows 7 benötigt den Treiber zur M.2 vom Hersteller, da Windows 7 sonst nicht auf einer PCIe SSD installiert werden.

Mit freundlichen GrĂŒĂŸen
Ihr GIGABYTE-Team"

In my old system (X58) Grub4dos load VHD image in ram-disk und starts Windows in ram.
But this load was to slow.
Thats why i build a new system (X99) with M2 NVM SSD.
So i will search further and hope i find any decision for my problem.

Thank you

Since Win7 doesn’t have an in-box NVMe driver, you have either to integrate a suitable NVMe driver into the Win7 image or to load the related driver at the beginning of the Win7 installation.
Otherwise the NVMe Controller of your SSD will not be detected by the OS.
By the way: Your problem has nothing to do wit the topic of this thread.