[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

llike he said, first post of this thread:
http://image.prntscr.com/image/275eda672…b021d86b6e4.png

thanks! i feel silly for missing that

okay. step in the right direction I think. It now shows PATA SS on the bios, but I cannot boot from it. I also tired to do a clean install from a thumb drive, but it says "windows cannot be installed onto this disk. The computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. ensure the disk’s controller is enabled from the computer’s BIOS menu"

Thoughts?

I think I read Fernando say you got to load the driver for Windows installer to see the drive…

it sees the drive. it gives me the error when I try to install windows onto it saying it isn’t a bootable drive.

You know I had a similar problem. Windows installer would not create the necessary partitions. Until I removed all the other connected hard drives from the system.
Worse comes to worse I recommend installing to a regular hard drive and clone the image to the NVME as last resort. Anyhow can the Windows installer delete and add partitions?

Also worth trying to download the latest installer image of Windows 10 ver 16xx something. I also did that. Not sure if it helped.

How did you create the bootable USB Flash drive containing the OS?
Did you unplug all storage drives except the NVMe SSD before you started with the OS installation?
From which sort of USB ports (2.0/3.0/3.1) did you try to boot the USB Flash drive?
Is the NVMe SSD brandnew or already used? If the latter, in which way?
Which OS are you going to install?
Which bootable drives resp. which names are shown within the "BOOT" section of the BIOS?

How did you create the bootable USB Flash drive containing the OS?
Did you unplug all storage drives except the NVMe SSD before you started with the OS installation?
From which sort of USB ports (2.0/3.0/3.1) did you try to boot the USB Flash drive?
Is the NVMe SSD brandnew or already used? If the latter, in which way?
Which OS are you going to install?
Which bootable drives resp. which names are shown within the "BOOT" section of the BIOS?

I unhooked all other drives. I tried with a usb 3.0 pny thumb drive.
I used the windows 7 dvd download tool to create the thumb drive with windows 10 pro x64
I have tried both usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports

The computer will boot from the usb drive without issue. Windows just won’t let me install onto the evo 960. I have tried switching the board to different slots on the motherboard as well.
The nvme is brand new. I can use it just fine when I boot from my 840ssd. I also cloned the 840 onto the nvme. It didn’t make a difference. I even changed the MBR to GPT. Still no dice.

The computer acts strange sometimes. Like reboots when I first turn it on and it is going thru the bootup process. I mean sometimes it sees the nvme, and sometimes it doesn’t.
But when it does work, it shows pata ss. But it will not boot from it when I tell it to. I get a bios error I’ve never seen before when I do that.
A black screen comes up with yellow letters and says…

Warning
The current BIOS setting do not fully support the boot device. Press f1 to enter the bios setup.

Go to advanced boot csm parameters and adjust the csm settings to enable the boot device.

I have tried that. I set them for both uefi first and also for oprom and neither makes any difference.

here is what I see in the bios and when I try to boot

i have Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 and Asus PCI3.0 4 M2 4 1 3PIN 32GBIT SUP PCIE SSD
and my motherboard ga-z77x-ud3h am wondering if anyone have this motherboard and make it work also what he use?
thanks

I also have that PATA SS on my boot menu but I ignore it FWIW. Have you tried turning on and off CSM support, Fast boot options, etc?

You might want to also play around with AMIBCP tool though I wouldn’t go crazy unless you had a dual bios option or something at risk of bricking.

Anyhow I would recommend you try the M8Pe drive instead as it may have its own option rom on the card making it easier to boot from NVME.

Or choose another brand of NVME drive with option rom installed.

One more thing to try. Create a Clover USB bootable key with the NVMExpressDxe driver installed on the Clover USB key. See if by booting that USB key if Clover boot menu
if you can boot your drive once you clone your Windows OS from SSD onto the NVME. They recently released a new Clover version and new NVMExpressDxe version and if that works it
might be worth it converting the newer version of NVMExpress into a FFS file for inclusion into the bios…

@Camccardell :
What about the "Fast Boot" and Secure Boot" BIOS settings?
Why has your 500 GB sized SSD only 68,3 GB free space?
Have you tried to turn off your optical drive before starting the OS installation onto your NVMe SSD?

@essam999 :

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
I am pretty sure, that you will succeed.

Good luck and Happy New Year!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Yes, I have enabled and disabled fast boot. didn’t see an option for secure boot. SSD was showing different partitions because I cloned the 840 evo onto it. It game me the same message after deleting the partitions and formatting the drive.
I have also tried disconnecting the dvd drive sata cable.

You should completely disable the "Fast Boot" settings.

I have seen this option on the undermost of your last pictures. It is very important to disable it. You have to hit on the arrow before the option to get access to the details.

Hi, I have an Acer Aspire VN7-591G-768L Notebook that has an M2 SSD slot but doesn’t seem to support PCIE NVMEe

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Se…tro/td-p/351524
https://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-S…pro/td-p/425744

Several threads from the Acer forum are pointing to this threas on Win-raid, but none give any conclusive answers of a succesful attempt to modify the Acer Aspire VN7-591G bios to include NVMe support.

I tried the first steps by

1. Downloading the latest bios firmware at:

https://www.acer.com/ac/nl/NL/content/su…roduct/5614?b=1
http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/…ACER&SC=EMEA_18

2. Extracting TLBI0115.fd from the dowloaded TLBI0115.exe firmware file with 7zip
3. Loading the TLBI0115.fd image file in MMTool

So far so good, but then there is no listed module named “CSMCORE” to be found.

I think that is because the bios the Acer Aspire VN7-591G-768L uses is not an AMI Aptio UEFI BIOS but instead an Insyde BIOS, which perhaps might not use CSMCore.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

@Morgain :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
The fact, that you were able to open the BIOS file by using the AMI Aptio MMTool verifies, that the related BIOS file is an AMI Aptio BIOS.
Not all AMI Aptio UEFI BIOSes do contain a module named CSMCORE, especially not the new generation AMI Aptio V ones.

The insertion of the NVMe module is not as easy as with an AMI Aptio IV BIOS.
The main questions are:
1. Where and how the NVMe module can be successfully inserted with the result, that the system will load it while booting?
2. How to get the modded BIOS properly flashed?
Maybe it will help, if you attach the BIOS, which had been extracted by you from the EXE file.

Happy New Year!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello Fernando, thank you for your reply.

I have attached the extracted bios file to this message.
I hope it will be possible, cause I don’t think Acer will ever add M.2 PCIE x4 NVMe support to the Aspire VN7-591G like they did with the newer Aspire VN7-592G.

And a Happy New Year to you too ofcourse!

TLBI0115.zip (3.65 MB)

My previous answer to you got me an idea to also post the bios firmware of the newer Acer Aspire VN7-592G in which Acer included NVMe support.
Maybe that wil help in getting NVMe support easier into the VN7-591G bios :slight_smile:

https://www.acer.com/ac/nl/NL/content/su…roduct/6403?b=1
http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/…ACER&SC=EMEA_18

RayS112.zip (4.62 MB)

Hi Dieter (aka Fernando)

Of course! It will be done as soon as the BIOS detects, lists or in somehow recognizes the SSD drive. Till then there is not much to do sadly.
Unfortunately I must give up. I have ordered a new board which natively support NVMe, and many other modern features.

Good luck with you mission. Have a great 2017!
Franco (aka Francesco)