[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Hello,
I followed your guide to the letter and it works with the SSD Toshiba RD400.
- I took the last bios of the X79 Deluxe 4805.
- Extract the 3 files Nvme, NvmeSmm and NVMEINT13 with MMTool 4.50
- Insert in my bios P9X79 4801, put the modified bios on formatted USB key in fat32.
- Important: Installation of the toshiba drivers under windows to recover on their site.
- Backup my C drive with acronis True Image 2016 under windows.
- Restore the C drive on the SSD with True Image under windows, turn off the PC at the end.
- Flash of the bios via Flashback.
Restart the PC leaving all options by default, I just changed the language (French).
And it starts, it goes very strong compared to my old hard disk of 10 years of age. Great!
Thanks fernando

|addpics|d3m-1-ec77.jpg-invaddpicsinvv,d3m-2-4f58.jpg-invaddpicsinvv|/addpics|

P9X79Nvme.zip (4.64 MB)

Hello,
I have a Asus p9x79 ws motherboard cpu i7 3930k, and it does see the intel 750 ssd 400 giga, and i can boot from it too, is there any need to mod my bios 4802 with nvme modules and what is the best to use??

Any chance if i renamed your modded bios to P9X79D will work in P9X79 Deluxe?

Hello you guys have been so much help I wish to share my latest tweak that only was possible because of info I found here. Thanks to you I manage to boot from a 960PRO in Nvme.

I had a asus z87pro with latest bios 2103. I assumed it would work same as for 950 PRO for boot thanks to some built-in OPROM and using CSM but it didnā€™t work for 960PRO using a Asus Hyper M.2 X4 mini using PCIx16_03 in X4 mode.
It seems like 960PRO doesnā€™t have the OPROM and the only solution is modding the bios (I tried every single CSM option it is just not working only modding will work). The problem however is that asus only give bios in .cap which will prove a bit more challenging for flashing.

So nothing works until I followed a guide provided by this forum:

1. follow guide to mod the latest asus bios
  2. download latest z87 pro bios 2103
  3. download the nvme module uncompressed
  4. mod the bios following the guide and then save it to a USB stick in FAT32. Make sure to name your mod file: Z87P.cap
  5. Plug your USB stick into flashbios usb slot in the back of your mobo and start machine holding the button Flashbios on the mobo until you see the LED blinking. After a while blinking stop and you can boot safely.
  6. Once your bios is flashed, make sure to plug your Hyper mini in the lowest large PCI-E slot and go into bios to set up this particular slot to X4 (it will disable several SATA ports)
  7. Go to CSM (compatiblity support mode) and disable it, your bios can now deal with 960PRO natively. it will be recognized as PATA but work flawlessly once you boot from UEFI usb stick media for W10 install
  8. You can even use DATA migration tool from samsung to migrate your old SSD since the boot sequence issue is now resolved.
  9. ASUS Z87 PRO can boot 960PRO in NVME without CSM at all in pure UEFI once you mod the 2103 bios without default NVMeExpressDxE module. You can even use the option Fast boot and Hardware fast boot everything work flawlessly like you have a Z170/270, youā€™re in real NVMeā€¦

Again thank you guys. It took just more than a few minutes to execute all these tasks and now my machine is in UEFI and using 960PRO as boot drive. Total duration of execution = 5/15mins. It takes longer to read the step by step guide than performing the modding.
Regards,

so ā€¦ im not sure if its due to a bios mod i did previouslyā€¦ or if it was really just the m.2 to pci-e adapter problemā€¦ i ordered the angelwings px-1 and installed it into my test machine (rampage 4 gene with 3930k) it worked immediately and booted off it. I stuck it in my main (rampage 4 extreme with 3960x) and installed win10 on it. works greatā€¦? at first readā€™s sucked for some reason and i installed samsungā€™s latest nvme driversā€¦ and these are the numbers im getting

what you think?

@jurapower :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report!
It is fine, that you got your Toshiba NVMe SSD working as bootable system drive.
Maybe you will get even better WRITE scores, if you enable both Write-Caching "Policy" options of the SSD (look >here< into point 8).

@fabonline :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your step-by-step report about how you got your Samsung 960 PRO working as bootable system drive with your Z87 chipset system.
This may help othe users with a similar system.

@Johnnnnn :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
You may be able to boot off the Intel 750 SSD in LEGACY mode (if the NVMe Controller chip of the SSD contains the required NVMe Option ROM), but if you want to boot your NVMe SSD in UEFI mode, you probably have to insert the NvmeExpressDxE.ffs module into the BIOS according the start post of this thread. Donā€™t forget to use the ASUS USB Flashback feature while trying to flash the modded BIOS.

@RJ1 :

Whose modded BIOS do you mean?
You may use it, if the related BIOS has been designed by ASUS for the P9X79 Deluxe and correctly modded, provided, that the name "P9X79D" is the correct ASUS USB Flashback name for the BIOS.

@iandroo888 :
Congratulations, that you finally got your Samsung SM951 NVMe SSD working with your ASUS Rampage IV Extreme (X79 Chipset).
It is a pity, that you didnā€™t find out the exact reason, why you didnā€™t succeed earlier.
You may get even better WRITE scores, if you enable both Write-Caching "Policy" options of the SSD (look >here< into point 8).

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernado)

I did a uefi install on the asus p9x79 ws and i can t boot with it also, so the real question is, is it better to flash the modules also, has this any meaning for me than?

What means "also"? Within >this< post you had written, that you were able to boot off the Intel 750 NVMe SSD.

Yes I recommend to insert the missing NVMe EFI module according to the start post of this thread, because this way you will be able to boot off the NVMe SSD in UEFI mode (gives you much shorter boot time and other additional features).

Hi Fernando,
I have recently joined and find your input as well as those of other members very informative, thx.
I have an Asus P9X79 system using BIOS 4801 initially modded with single NMVeExpress line from ROG forum. This worked for getting Samsung 950Pro with AngelWings PCIe card running as boot drive for Win 10. I have recently tried to do the same with a new 960Pro with no success. I have modded 4801 adding the 3 lines listed in earlier posts but the 960 Pro is not recognized. is this a dead end? is there some combination of these 4 lines that might work? Samsung Migration and Magician software sees the drive and works with it. So it seemed like it might be an easy fix but i have been unsuccessful.
RJ

@RJ1 :
Please have a look into >this< success report written by the Forum member fabonline, who has the same NVMe SSD model as you (Samsung 960 Pro).
Maybe this will help you.

@Fernando :
I see i did make an error in my writhing, i did mean to say, i can boot in windows 10 in eufi mode whitout any modification of my asus p9x79 ws bios.
My mistake.
ā€œyou will be able to boot off the NVMe SSD in UEFI modeā€ This i can already no problem at all.
other additional features , what kind of features are extra?

EDIT by Fernando: Absolutely unneeded fully quoted post replaced by a direct address (to save space)

@Johnnnnn :
One of the extra features of booting in UEFI mode is the ability to boot from large disks (over 2 TiB).

So I have read countless pages of this thread trying to get an Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard to recognize an NVMe drive (960 evo attached via angel wings). I tried to mod my bios using your guide with no luck (both via Asus flashback using the white USB port and button as well as in bios). In bios I get a failed security check using bios version 4901 which is the latest and most stable for my uses up til now. When using the white rog USB port with flash back I get 3-4 blinks and then nothing changes when I boot. I do understand .cap are harder to mod then .rom (found that in your thread as well) but I am locked into the .cap situation from what I understand. My question is this, am i doing something wrong here. When using flash back my bios is named R4E.cap like it has been in the past when using it. In bios I have tried r4E.cap and the default name given to the file from asusā€™s download section for RIVE. It always fails to flash. I did check the unmodded version of the 4901 bios I am using at it will flash fine.

My first efforts revolved around trying to clone my OS drive from an SSD raid 0 which was installed via UEFI as some of the youtubers like JonnyTechTips said he had simply cloned his OS drive to get things working on a RIVE board. Then I tired to install windows 10 via USB stick and the drive did show up, started/completed the install but when it was time to reboot things hung after post/UEFI pages past leaving me with a " _ " on a black screen.

Some other notes I am running SLI and physx cards (PCIe red slots 1,3 and 4) but I am using the second red PCIe slot (tried the grey one too) with angel wings and the 960 Evo. I have SSD drives installed on all my SATA 6G ports and one SSHD on 3G port. I have also tried every setting under the sun regarding the CSM (on/off/auto uefi only/both legacy/etc). One the up side while in windows 10 the 960 Evo works just fine as a data drive and I am getting PCIe 3.0 speeds with the force-enable-gen3 patch on an i7 3930k. Reads are 3390MB/s writes are 1809MB/s in Crystal Disk mark 5.0.2 x64.

So whats my best approach here? I see lots of folks getting this working on RIVE boards I just happen to not be one of them. Any suggestions or advice would be most welcome. Great thread btw, which makes me hate having to ask all the more. Feeling rather dumb at this point.

@atomicWAR :

Obviously yes, otherwise you would have succeeded to get the modded BIOS successfully flashed by using the ASUS USB Flashback feature.

The correct BIOS name should have been R4E.CAP
For further details you may look into >this< guide, which had been written for exactly your mainboard.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

hi,
intel 750 and p3700 card have their own OPROM integrated so even an old bios ca see it and boot (SS: PATA you will see)

the probelm is that samsung ones 950 and 960 are "pure" nmve driver (without oprom) and so you will need to andd nmve module to your bios to scan PCI-E searching NMVE devicesā€¦

hope you have understoodā€¦

I wanted to add to Adamā€™s post. I have a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H and this is how I got a Samsung 960 EVO to work. Firstly, the NVME BIOS module listed in the guide on the first page as of January 20th 2017 does not successfully drive NVME on this motherboard. Hopefully this will save some people time and trouble:

- Computer currently has a C drive SATA Samsung 830 Pro 256GB with working Windows 10 Pro.
- Purchased SilverStone Technology Dual M2 to PCI-E X4 and SATA 6G Adapter Card (ECM20) from Amazon for the Samsung 960 EVO.
- Placed the card in the bottom PCI 3.0 4x slot on the motherboard.
- Booted into Windows 10 on the 830 Pro.
- Loaded MMTool (first post with guide on this thread)
- Extracted the Nvme, Nvmesmm, and Nvmeint13 modules from the Z97 BIOS as described by Adam.
- Loaded Z77X-UD5H BIOS (latest version from Gigabyte was F16h).
- After some initial test inserts I was forced to delete the SATA driver module to make enough space in the BIOS file - this is fine since it only runs RAID, not AHCI.
- Inserted the Nvme, Nvmesmm, and Nvmeint13 modules from the Z97 into the Z77 BIOS as described by Adam.
- Saved the BIOS image.
- Flashed with @BIOS.
- Rebooted, made sure the options Adam specified were set correctly.
- In the already installed Windows 10 on the Samsung 830 Pro I checked to see if the 960 EVO was showing in device manager - it was.
- Installed latest Samsung NVME driver from their site and rebooted again as requested by the installation.
- Used Samsung Migration utility to clone the 830 C drive to the 960 EVO.
- Rebooted into BIOS and disabled the 830 port in the ATA configuration.
- Rebooted.
- Bliss :).

- Crystal Disk Mark Q32T1 Sequential Read 2787 MB/s, Sequential Write 1729 MB/s.

System details:
CPU: i5-3570K overclocked at 4.4 GHz
Motherboard: Z77X-UD5H
RAM: Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 kit

This 960 EVO has helped to keep this nearly 5 year old system competitive with my other computer with a i7-6700K.

Thank you to the guide writers and the posters in this thread.

@mavortium :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report!

It is fine, that you got your Samsung 960 NVMe SSD working as bootable system drive with your Z77 chipset system.

Enjoy it!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

It was a Samsung 960 EVO not an Intel 750. Thanks for the welcome and the info! GruƟe!

My bad - I mixed it with the SSD of your reference guide. Meanwhile I have corrected my mistake.

Zitat

No, that is no alternative for the guide, which is layed down within the start post of this thread.
According to my knowledge the Samsung XP941, which I own myself, is running in AHCI mode and doesnā€™t support NVMe.

By the way: Users, who are searching for a guide about how to boot off an M.2 SSD, which is running in AHCI mode, can find the related guide >here<. This guide seems to be very similar the the one you have linked.

My mistake. Please delete my previous post to avoid confusion. Thank you.

EDIT by Fernando: Done! I have deleted your post and my reply.