[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Hello, the usb flash port is a USB 2.0 port, so it comes on the plate, specifically in my P9X79 plate is just below the flash button.
From what I understand it works like a normal Usb port and with the computer turned off as Bios flasher.
Anyway I have continued looking posted I have found this:
Flashing modified ASUS P9X79 DELUXE Bios V4801.
I have to recognize that my English is bad enough, but has a possible fix what “Security Verification Failed”?
Thank you

This is the usual message you will get, when you try to flash a modded capsuled ASUS mainboard BIOS named XXXX.CAP into the BIOS chip of an ASUS mainboard by using the "normal" flash method.
You will not get this message, if you flash the modded BIOS via USB Flashback method (provided, that the BIOS is usable and the flashing procedure has been done the correct way).

I want to thank Fernando, CodeRush, and others that have helped with useful information in this thread. If it were not for this thread, and the tools and resources to do the mod, my 960 EVO would still be in it’s box waitng for my next motherboard/CPU/memory upgrade. Thank you.

Dear Fernando, I have just come up with a possible solution to the problem of not being able to update the BIOS by the motherboard flash.
If the problem with that connector is that, it is probably entering current by ground when connecting a device, as the board is turned off.
Using a USB cable, female connector, and removing the connector pins from the ends of the connector or isolating them, since they are the (+) (-) and leaving the two central pins which are the (D +) and (D-) of data. Obviously you have to feed the usb pendrive to work, this would be achieved by an external power of 5v and I think that this way you could flash the Bios.
All this to confirm with an electronic technician and try.
a greeting

Hello.
Recently i found your guide how to get NVMe support.
Problem is, that i can’t find a ROM with bios for my Asrock P67 Pro 3.
Do you have any guesses where could i find it?
On Asrock website there’s only .exe file that installs the bios.
With best regards,
Chris

@Christophy :
Hello Chris,
welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

You are right and I don’t know how to extract it.
My advice: Ask the ASRock Support for the latest "pure" BIOS file for your special mainboard.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando
Ok, i got the bios and did everything. It’s format after using MMTool is .fd.
And when i do instant flash it says there’s nothing in the usb drive.
What should i do now?

How was the BIOS file named, when you got the original extracted version?

How did you format the USB drive before copying the BIOS file onto it?
How was the file named?
Did you remove the BIOS header? Note: The UBU tool does it autmaticly, when it opens an ASRock AMI Atio IV UEFI BIOS, which contains such header.

So the bios file was P67P32.00 the one i got.
USB was FAT32, the file was named same.
Nope, i did not, because when i got it into this program, I couldn’t extract this as body.
Here’s a screen.
http://imgur.com/a/UQx2Q

@Christophy :
Please put the "pure" original and modded BIOS files into a ZIP or RAR archive and attach the package.
I will do a look into both files.

Here you are :slight_smile:

Fernando.rar (5.73 MB)

Thanks for the attachment.
Result of my analysis:
1. Both BIOS files are not capsuled. So it should be possible to get the modded BIOS file successfully flashed by using ASRock’s "InstantFlash" utility.
2. The NVMe module seems to be correctly inserted.
I suspect, that the InstantFlash utility didn’t find the modded BIOS file, because it hasn’t been named like an original ASRock BIOS.

xxx

Try it with the name of the original BIOS file (P67P32.00).

@Fernando
Well, my bios was 3.25, not 2.00 XD Now it passed after i got back to 2.00 bios.
Thing is, i wanted earlier to put NVMe in 3.3 bios…
It says file size exceeds the volume size. Any guesses?|addpics|dl0-1-a84b.png|/addpics|

Please attach the pure BIOS file version you want to use.

@Fernando
Here.

P67 Pro3(3.30)rom.zip (3.99 MB)

@Christophy :
Attached is a modded BIOS file, which should work with your system (after having renamed it to “P67P33.30”).
You can use it at own risk.

This is what I have done:
1. Opening of the BIOS file named P67P33.30 by using the AMI Aptio IV UEFI MMTool
2. Removal of the BIOS module named “HDAudioDxe” (has been located in Volume 2:01-02 Index 04, uncompressed size: 8KB)
3. Insertion of the pre-compressed file named "NvmExpressDxE_2-compr.ffs"
4. Storage of the modified BIOS file as "P67P33_mod.30"

The problematic part of my work was the decision, which one of the original BIOS modules within the Volume 02:01-02 I can safely remove to get the required space within the BIOS for the insertion of the 16 KB sized pre-compressed NVMe module.
Unfortunately the original BIOS doesn’t contain any of the usually dispensable modules (EFI RAID and EFI LAN). So I removed as first try the 3KB sized ASRock Logo module named ASRLOGODXE, hoping, that this would give me enough free space for the insertion of the NVMe module, but it didn’t.
Since I do not really know, which one of the Volume 02:01-02 modules (besides the very important CSMCORE one) are absolutely necessary for your special hardware configuration, I decided finally to remove a module, which is definitively not essential for being able to boot into your currentlly running OS.

I am pretty sure, that you will be able to get the attached modded BIOS properly flashed, but I am unsure about the consequences on your on-board HDAudio device. If you should recognize any sound problems, I recommend to ask a BIOS Guru like CodeRush for an advice, which module should be removed from the BIOS instead.

Good luck!

P67P33_mod.rar (3.97 MB)

Hi @Fernando

Thank you for all of your hard work on this. I am trying to modify the bios using the 11kb module but it says the file size has been exceeded. I have attached the BIOS. Would you please be so kind as to have a look?

Thank you

P.S. The file extension is .U1E but it opens just fine in MMTool.

Z8MXUD2H.U1E.zip (2.84 MB)

@pappy :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

According to CodeRush you can remove any of the various network EFI modules (listed by the MMTool within the Volume 02:01-00 having the Index 91 up to 9A), because they only will be used, if you want to use the "Wake-on-LAN" feature.
I recommend to remove the module named "Ip6Dxe" (Index 98), because it has the biggest size and its removal gives you a lot of free space.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)