[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@Fir3DragoN Any luck modding your AMD MB to boot from your 960 EVO? I plan to attempt a similar configuration on my Asus Crosshair V Formula 990FX board. Any feedback would be much appreciated

@Fernando Hi Fernando, new to your forum, but I have been reading your advice for a few weeks. Great stuff, man! Any advice on modding an AMD MB would be much appreciated.

MB: Asus Crosshair V Formula (not z)
CPU: AMD FX8350
GPU: Asus 470 4GB
RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill 2133
SSD: Samsung SM961 (soon, maybe)
Case: Thermaltake Core P3
PSU: be quiet! 650w DPP 11
Cooling: Corsair H80

@AntiBear :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Although I didnā€™t yet get any feedback from an AMD chipset user, who had tested it, I am pretty sure, that it is possible to get full NVMe support for UEFI capable AMD chipset systems as well.
Since I donā€™t have an AMD chipset mainboard myself, I havenā€™t been able to test it myself.

The procedure should be rather similar to what I have written within the start post.
As soon as it has been verified, that the guide is valid for AMD chipset systems as well, I will rename the title of this thread to "[Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS".

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Greetings!
Tell me, for my DQ67SW NVMe can be supported?

Thank you
Sorry for my english

@FreeOwl :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

The BIOS of your Intel mainboard with a Q67 Chipset may be suitable for a modification according to the start post of this thread, but due to the specifications of all Intel UEFI BIOSes I doubt, that you will be able to open, to modify and to successfully flash the modified BIOS into the BIOS chip of your Intel mainboard.
I am sorry, but I cannot help you with this.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando Thank you for the quick response.

I think I will pull the trigger and buy the SM961 256GB. I understand the risk is mine. My configuration will be to use the NVMe as my boot, with an ASUS Hyper card as an adapter to one of my free PCIe slots. I will use a clean install of win10 with no RAID configurations. My PCIe slots are 2.0, but even maxing out the bandwidth will be a significant improvement over SATA. This last point mostly comes down to the fact that I found a really good deal on the NVMe. . .

I will post the results - hopefully good.

@AntiBear :
It is fine, that you are going to buy and to insert an NVMe SSD into your AMD chipset system. This way you will find out, whether and how you can use it as bootable system drive.
As I already told you, I am very optimistic, that you will succeed.

Good luck (fingers crossed)!

Info about Windows 7 UEFI mode and Graphics card with Gop:

http://reboot.pro/topic/21108-install-wiā€¦l-gop-hardware/

That is interesting, but which is the relationship to the topic of this thread?

Answer to Paulos7 in topic 1437:

ā€™ā€˜Through all this, I considered CSM options, but my motherboard only has ā€œEnabledā€ and ā€œDisabledā€. I tried it ā€œDisabledā€, but quickly discovered my 560Ti can not be flashed with a GOP capable VBIOS (itā€™s pre-600 series). And I donā€™t know if itā€™s possible to ā€œupgradeā€ CSM modules from a newer series of ASRock motherboard (I doubt it), or if the added CSM options would even be useful in my caseā€™'

Windows 7 installation with UEFI mode: CSM Enabled even if Graphics card has Gop Bios

After modifying/flashing an asus z87 bios to boot a 1t 960 pro the drive shows up in bios as "Pata ss" with no size but shows up during the win 10 install as a 960 evo - is this normal?

Thanks
Will

Ps - I was unsuccessful in getting a win 7 clone to boot this drive - just kept looping back to the bios

Yes!

@Fernando , @CodeRush

The new NVMExpress driver you had posted has an ā€˜Unknown section typeā€™ error. I found this utilizing bios injection command line ozmtool and also UEFITool. Is this an issue or just cosmetic?

Thanks

EDIT by Fernando: Attachment removed (to avoid further irritations), because its origin and source has been clarified (see next posts)

@davidm71 :
Thanks for your critical input.
Since I am not an expert regarding the special section types of EFI BIOS modules, I cannot answer your question regarding the relevance of the ā€œUnknown section typeā€ message. Maybe CodeRush will do it.

Nevertheless I take the opportunity to point you to the following:

1. According to my knowledge the Clover Team has never designed their ā€œNVMe Driver Projectā€ for being used as EFI BIOS file within a computer, which is running Windows Operating Systems. Until now I havenā€™t seen any NVMe file as an original Clover Team product, which can be inserted ā€œas it isā€ into an AMI UEFI BIOS and will make an NVMe SSD bootable. That is the simple reason why it was absolutely necessary to customize them. This work had been done mainly by SoniX and a little bit by me, but without touching the source code itself.
    The result may not be perfect, but according to the feedback we got until now both NVMe modules, which are offered within the start post, definitively work with a lot of different machines and NVMe SSDs.
  2. Unfortunately the available Clover Team NVMe source files do not contain a visible version number and the date of their compilation. We do not even know, whether there is a newer/better Clover Team NVMe product available, which may solve the still existing minor problems.
    Since you already have been in contact to the Clover Team, it would be great, if you would help us to optimize the NVMe EFI modules we are offering within the start post of this thread.

Well at least all of the modules on your main primary first page check out. This must have been one you posted ten pages back in an incomplete state also missing its identifying name inits header. So if anyone comes accross it it should be ignored although may still work. thanks.

Hi Fernando,

Not sure if this is a good place to askā€¦

I got a 960 evo 500 gb. System is asus z87 sabertooth + 4770k.

1. I did the bios mod in December, using the older version I think. Does that work with 960 evo?
2. I see a drive called pata sm in bios. Does that mean the bios modification has done its work?
3. I just used samsung data migration software to clone my current system to the SSD. System is windows 10, with samsung nvme 2.1 driver installed. But when I tried to boot up from "pata sm", it always switch to use the second drive; if I disabled sata entirely (so that pata sm is the only drive), then it goes into bios. I tried a few settings in bios but so far none worked.

Is a fresh install of windows always required? But I also read from the top post that install on a sata SSD then migrate also worksā€¦

Thanks in advance!

@davidm71 :

This is somehow irritating.
Which one of the modules, which I am offering within the start post of this thread, did you check and got the ā€˜Unknown section typeā€™ message?
By the way:
1. The moduleā€™s header generally doesnā€™t contain any code regarding the moduleā€™s name.
2. The new NvmExpressDxE_2 module I had attached to a recent post was fully functional. The only deficit has been, that the moduleā€™s name didnā€™t show up, when the BIOS was opened by a BIOS tool like MMTool or UEFITool.

Hey there,

I did all of this and it worked so far. Though when I want to flash the updated bios via MSI Click bios, it gives me the error that there is no bios file on the drive. I have it as a .RAR, i have it in a folder on the usb and as a file in root folder with nothing else on it. None of the way seemed to work.
Flashing itself works since i just flashed it to the latest MSI Bios to see if this would let me boot from my NVMe drive, but this didnā€™t doo much, so I tried this guide.

Hope yu can help me

EDIT:

Did all the steps again from beginning of downloading the files etc and got it to flash. Lets hope it will work now!

It was the one your posted on post #1225: [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for Intel Chipset systems from 6-Series up (82)
Perhaps it was one used as an example.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted post removed and inserted picture resized (to save space)

Hi Fernando,

Iā€™m new to your forum. I am having trouble flashing my BIOS with the module that will enable NVMe support on my old AsRock X79 Extreme 6 motherboard.

Following your guide to the letter hereā€™s what I did:

Downloaded MMtool v4.5
Downloaded Current AsRock motherboard BIOS (X79E6_3.10)
Downloaded Uncompressed NvmeExpressDxE_2 module
Created folders as instructed
Opened source (motherboard BIOS) with MMtool
Noted the Volume number
Used insert process as outlined to successfully insert NVMe module
Varified above

All seemed to be perfect.

Hereā€™s the issue: Copied moded BIOS on fat32 flash drive
Entered BIOS setup and proceeded to advanced tab - selected option to instant flash
Flash located modified BIOS file and just set there - no error no nothing
Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? Iā€™m new to the BIOS modding thing and Iā€™ve likely missed something.
Thanks!

@davidm71 :
Thanks for the clarification regarding the NVMe module with the "Unknown section" message.

It was the one your posted on post #1225: [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for Intel Chipset systems from 6-Series up (82)
Perhaps it was one used as an example.

This file named NvmExpressDxe-64.ffs has been a test version, which had been built by the Forum member celemine1gig (look >here<). The only changes, which have been done by me, were the replacement of the header and the correction of the checksum. Meanwhile I have removed the attachment from the post #1225 (to avoid any future irritations regarding this NVMe test file).

The NVMe modules, which I am offering within the start post of this thread, donā€™t show the "Unknown section" message.
This is how the new NvmExpressDxE_2.ffs module details look, when you open the related BIOS with CodeRushā€™s UEFITool: