[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@gabro0 :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

You should ask the vendor, not us. On the basis of the prize I am very sceptical, that it will work 100% properly.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I am using Windows 10, so the NVMe driver shouldnā€™t be an issue. I also have pulled the GPU out and used the onboard graphics, trying every slot with no luck. Strangely though, 2 or 3 times (with the GPU) I did actually get the NVMe Drive/Card to show up in the BIOS (thereā€™s a ā€˜system browserā€™ utility in the UEFI that letā€™s you see what devices are plugged into what slots) and once it even showed up in Windows, but it didnā€™t stay recognized after a reboot. Maybe a bad drive, or not enough power or something.

Iā€™m going to RMA the drive and if that doesnā€™t help I guess Iā€™m a bit overdue for a motherboard/CPU upgrade anywaysā€¦Thanks for the help!

@MeatballB
What NVMe SSD do you have plugged into your add-in card ?
If it is a 960/961 family the "PC restart" does not work and your SSD is no longer recognized.
It is a bug I reported to Samsung and they are working on this issue.
To be recognized again you have to shutdown the PC, and then start the PC.

@100PIER :
According to >this< post the user MeatballB has a Plextor M8PeY 1 TB NVMe SSD and not a Samsung one.

@MeatballB :
Have you ever tried to load any other NVMe driver, which I am offering within the start post of >this< thread?

@Fernando , @MeatballB
I saw in Plextor M8PeY Release note the firmware v1.05 is very recent and does fix some ā€˜specificā€™ issues under W10.

Hello everybody! I read some article about edit bios and i use this for add a NVMe support SSD. But if i want flash that didnĀ“t work because security flash canĀ“t enter me . I try command like /gan via version afudos 3.04. i try ver. 2.20 successful flash but without any change. I try newest version of afudos but still i have that problem. I donĀ“t know if I must have some else NVMe driver or I donĀ“t know :smiley: I try unlock advanced menu via this but i dont know what does it mean ā€œIDAā€. Thank you a lot!!!

@MeatballB ,

Make sure your pcie power cable isnt faulty. The drive should light up red and flicker like a silon from battlestar when its in use. Do you have another system to test it on? I even got mine recognized on my X58 system bios on my M8pey aic card. Iā€™m betting the power cable is the problem. Try another one. Use a sata molex adapter maybe. Btw Plextor has no official driver unfortunately. Might want to try the open Fabrics one later maybe.

Good luck.

Ps: @100PIER Nice to see you around. Just say you on the Acronis forums last weekā€¦

@xttenza :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
Due to the fact, that your problem has nothing to do with the topic ā€œStorage Driversā€, I have merged your post into this already existing ā€œBIOS Moddingā€ thread, which matches your request much better.
Now to the content of our post:
It was absolutely correct, that you inserted the NVMe module according to the start post of this thread into the BIOS of your Sony Vaio 13 system.
Your problem to get the modded BIOS properly flashed into the BIOS chip of your Sony Vaio 13 model is not caused by a wrong NVMe module, but by Sonyā€™s security features to prevent the flashing of any modded BIOS.
Since you are not the first owner of a Sony Vaio system, who ran into problems while trying to flash a modded BIOS, I recommend to have a deeper look into >this< already existing specific Sony Vaio BIOS modding thread. There you will find some guides written by other users of a Sony Vaio system.
I hope, that you will find a solution there.
Good luck!
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks for all the feedback.

@100PIER - Yeah, like @Fernando said, the M8PeY from Plextor is a NVMe SSD that comes pre-installed on an add-in card, so I would hope thereā€™s no hardware issue between the two, also I did see that Firmware and Iā€™ve got it ready to go, but since I canā€™t get the machine to recognize the drive at all, thereā€™s no way I can actually flash the firmware. :slight_smile:

@Fernando - Havenā€™t tried that OCZ driver, but will give it a go, but I just think the system isnā€™t seeing the card at all, so the driver wouldnā€™t help in that instance.

@davidm71 - Yeah, the two times the card did seem to work I did see the ā€˜Battlestarā€™ lights. :slight_smile: Strangely though, the two times that did happen, I didnā€™t have the SATA power cable even plugged into the card, it was just getting power from the slot. Iā€™ve tried both my SATA power cables (that are currently working, 1 powering a Samsung EVO 840 and a 2 TB spindle drive and the other powering a DVD writer), also tried a few other cables, including a molex to SATA adapter and no luck.

Iā€™m really starting to lean that this might be a bad card and Iā€™ve started a return through Amazon, replacement should be here in a few days.

Thank you Fernardo for reply! I read article what you send me,but it didnĀ“t work for me,so I try delete sony security flash and i flash this rom and now afudos speak me:ā€œ46 - error problem getting flash informationā€ with any command :smiley: Here is link for o(original rom)onvme(original with nvme) and last rom without sony secure flash link

@xttenza :
Unfortunately I cannot help you (due to missing experience with Sony Vaio BIOSes).
Since you may have the best chances to get support by other Sony Vaio users, I recommend to post your help request into >this< already existing Sony Vaio BIOS modding thread.

@MeatballB ,
May be you donā€™t need W10 to update the firmware.
Usually the NVMe manufacturer does offer a .iso file to buil a WinPe or Linux kernel bootable media (USB2 key).

@100PIER

No the firmware update utility is an executable. Donā€™t believe they have a command line iso or anything. Doubt it would fix his problem anyhow. Wish he had another
board to test it on to see it works properly.

@davidm71 ,
No, i donā€™t agree with you.
I have just downloaded the ISO file (.rar) from the Plextor site for the 1TB PCIe SSD to upgrade firmware to v1.05.
I have build from this ISO file via RUFUS a boot media key (USB2).
It is a Linux kernel boot media.
To use it you have to set CSM ENABLED into bios, and select the non uefi USB device.
I have no Plextor SSD, but the offered Linux Utility upgrade does boot on my PC.
The test done was only to check this Firmware utility.

@100PIER
Thats great to know. It wouldnā€™t hurt to try.

Alright, so an update on my fighting to get the Plextor M8PeY NVMe drive recognized by my Z87 Fatal1ty Killer motherboard. No matter what I do, the machine just is not seeing the drive plugged into the PCIe slots, regardless of which slot I put it in, whether or not I plug SATA power cables (that I know work since they power other things fine) into it, or even if I pull out my GPU and only have the Plextor drive in.

On the plus side, Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s not a bad drive. Iā€™ve got a secondary machine, even older, running an old Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H motherboard. That board has 2 PCIe slots in it, I plugged the Plextor into the second slot, booted up and immediately saw the ā€˜BattleStarā€™ lights and the board recognized the drive. Tried to reboot a bunch of times and tried both with and without a SATA power plug in the drive and every time it booted and the card lit up. I even saw the card listed as a bootable device in the BIOS. Because of this I was able to at least upgrade the Firmware up to 1.05. So at this point, Iā€™m pretty sure the drive itself is good.

Unfortunately, that still doesnā€™t really help me that much since the Z87 board just doesnā€™t want to either recognize the card or give it enough power to get it running. Iā€™m going to try getting it working a bit more, but there just may be a hardware specific incompatibility between this Motherboard and the Plextor NVMe drive and I may just have to get a new motherboard.

Again, thanks everyone for the help and suggestions!

@MeatballB

Do you have any other cards installed that could conflict with the Plextor? Did you try to disable every item in your bios peripheral onboard page? Did you try resetting the biosā€™s configuration data? Pull the cmos battery and reinsert it. Perhaps the bios needs to reconfigure what devices are installed. Sounds like a hardware conflict to me maybe. Perhaps a newer beta bios versionā€¦

Well, I donā€™t know why, but the card is working fine now. :slight_smile: Iā€™m guessing the firmware upgrade did the trick. Right after I flashed the firmware and popped it into the other machine, I got the lights and it was recognized in the BIOS and by a Windows installer. Iā€™m typing this right now from a new Win10 install on that drive. I rebooted and powered off about 30 times just to make sure that it wasnā€™t a fluke, and it seems to be working.

Must have been some incompatibility with the old firmware and this motherboard that they fixed in the latest version.

Againā€¦thanks for everyoneā€™s help!

@MeatballB ,
This is why I proposed to update to the most recent v1.05 firmware (the Plextor Release Note was explicit).

@MeatballB :
Thanks for your feedback. It is fine, that you finally succeeded and got your Plextor NVMe SSD working.

@100PIER :
Thanks for your advice to flash the new Firmware for the Plextor M8PeY NVMe SSD.