[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@100PIER

Thanks for suggesting HWInfo64 to diagnose link speed issues. What I was able to do ultimately was understand that on my nf200 nforce X58 board that the primary PCI-E slot was not being controlled by the nf200 switch thanks to HWinfo. This enabled me to take a risk and move the gpu to another secondary pci-e slot of which I was able to initialize the display. Second move my Plextor M8Pey card onto that primary slot and lo and behold 1600mb/sec read speeds on X58 which I thought was impossible because I thought every slot was under the control of the nf200 switch. Guess all but the primary slot is under its control. Not sure of the impact to gpu performance while gaming. Need to test more.

Thanks.

Thank you EDK2 Team and Fernando!!!

I modded UEFI for my ASUS P9X79 Pro and I was able to install Windows 10 (1703) on Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB.
Everything works fine including Fastboot - Windows 10 boot up takes approx. 4 seconds (to desktop)!

My hardware - installed in second (blue) PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot

PCI-E 3.0 x4 Confirmed!

Impressive performance for 6-years old PC! :wink:

BTW Samsung NVMe driver v2.1 sucks (Windows 10 Standard NVMe driver is better!)

@FirstEver :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum, congratulations for your success and thanks for your feedback!

Yes, who know that. Samsung is obviously working on a better (more stable) NVMe driver without the unexpected shutdown events.
Enjoy your Samsung NVMe SSD with your X79 chipset system!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello Fernando,

do you think it is possible to install a Win 10 on a Samsung SM961 with an ASUS x4 Adapter Card on a FUJITSU D3161-A1 (SOCKET 0)

Version: S26361-D3161-A1
Chipset Vendor: Intel
Chipset Model: Ivy Bridge
Chipset Revision: 09
Southbridge Vendor: Intel
Southbridge Model: ID1E48
Southbridge Revision: 04
BIOS
Brand: FUJITSU // American Megatrends Inc.
Version: V4.6.5.3 R1.11.0 for D3161-A1x
Date: 16.07.2012

ftp://ftp.ts.fujitsu.com/pub/Mainboa…DS_D3161-A.pdf

or is it only possible with a (modded) UEFI BIOS?

If not, do you think a Samsung 950 will work as bootable device?

thanks for your answer and your fantastic, galactic work here!

Elmar

@Hyperion :
Hello Elmar,
before I am able to answer your questions, I need some additional resp. corrected informations:

This is a CPU model and not a chipset.

The link doesn’t work, because it is incomplete.
3. It would be fine, if you attach the latest BIOS for your system (as *.zip or *.rar archive).
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello Fernando,
thanks for your quick answer.
I attached the manuals and the extracted .bup file, I hope this is what you need.
The ivy bridge info is from speccy.
Elmar

Fujitsu DS_D3161-A.pdf (1020 KB)

FTS_MainboardD3161D3162ShortDescription_20130108_1089919.PDF (238 KB)

D3161-A1x.R1.23.0.DFI.part1.rar (5 MB)

D3161-A1x.R1.23.0.DFI.part2.rar (1.65 MB)

I don’t know, whether it is possible, but I am pretty sure, that you will not succeed by following the start post of this thread.
Reason: According to CodeRush’s UEFITool the BIOS of your mainboard is not an UEFI one.

Yes, the Samsung 950 Pro SSD will work, because it has its own Legacy mode NVMe Option ROM module.
By the way: According to your attached PDF files the chipset of your mainboard is an Intel Q75 Express one.

Thank you for your answer.

Do you know if the following Model after the Samsung 950, the 960 has its own Legacy mode NVMe Option ROM module too, or is it different?

It is a bit hard to find new 950 to buy, and they are much cheaper than the 960s.

Can I use a 960 for booting on this MB or am I forced to stay at the 950?

Elmar

AFAIK the 960 series Samsung NVMe SSDs do not have an in-box Legacy mode NVMe Option ROM.

I will add the latest NVMe module to ALL ASUS motherboards supporting ASUS Flashback (starting from Z68 chipset) :slight_smile:

Shame on you, you lazy… ASUS

It will take a few days… (maybe you can help me create a list of ASUS motherboards supporting ASUS Flashback).

@MeatballB
For your PLEXTOR NVMe SSD 1TB a new firmware v1.06 is now online to get fixed some problems.

@100PIER - Thanks! Flashed with the latest and everything looks good.

Hi, fernando.
I’m using msi z77 gd65, and I was able to boot from my intel 750 ssd, without a problem.
Thnx to your guide.

Wanted to ask you a question.
Intel utility is asking me if I would like to update my firmware, and it looks like you’re using the same ssd.
Somewhere in the internet I’ve read, that after updating the firmware on the drive, it will not boot anymore, on z77 boards.

What’s you’re opinion on this case?

@Aili
What i750 firmware version do you have currently ?
What Intel SSD Tool Box do you use ?
What i750 firmware version is suggested ?

@Aili :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!
It is fine, that you now are able to boot off your Intel 750 NVMe SSD.

After having read >this< discussion and the statement given by Intel employees, I am unsure regarding the answer.
The problem of the related ASRock Z77 chipset mainboard user was, that he was not even able to enter the BIOS, when the Intel 750 SSD with updated Firmware was attached.
Since the report was already written in December 2015 and I haven’t seen similar reports from other Z77 chipset users with an Intel 750 SSD, I suspect an ASRock BIOS issue and not an Intel Firmware one, but I am not absolutely sure aboute it.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks Fernando for your Site!

So i get run 960EVO on X79 Sabertooth on Delock converter.
~2900/~1700 read/write

------------------

Danke Fernando fĂźr deine Seite!

Hab dadurch Samsung 960EVO auf X79 Sabertooth und DeLockadapter am laufen!
~2900/~1700 lesen/schreiben

I’m using a Samsung SSD 960 EVO (w/ Asus Hyper M.2 X4 PCI-E Mini Adapter) on Asus P9X79 Pro, but…
Do you thing it will be possible to use two of them and BOOT in RAID 0 (like on Asus TUF Z270 Mark 1)?

2x Samsung SSD 960 EVO in RAID 0 mode (bootable) on Z270 motherboard:

2x Samsung SSD 960 EVO in RAID 0 mode (non-bootable) on X99 motherboard (Asus X99-PRO /w one Asus Hyper M.2 X4 PCI-E Mini Adapter):

PCI-E Slots on my motherboard:
3 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (dual x16 or x16/x8/x8)
1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x8 mode)
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1

No. According to my knowledge only the latest Intel chipsets from 100-Series up do support the ability to create an Intel RAID array consisting of NVMe SSDs.
By the way: Recently I have successfully created myself an Intel RAID0 array consisting of 2x256 GB Samsung 960 EVO SSDs on my Z170 system. >Here< are the benchmark results.

I will be getting my Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + Asus Hyper m.2 X4 today. I suppose I’m out of luck in terms of making this bootable on my Asus P8C WS, Intel C216 chipset motherboard? As it doesn’t feature any BIOS Flashback as far as I can see? I had hoped the 960 Pro had kept the Legacy BIOS Boot option from the 950 Pro but it doesn’t seem like it?

Not automaticly. If your mainboard should not support the USB Flashback feature, there is another way to circumvent the BIOS protection of ASUS UEFI BIOSes. Please have a look into >this< guide written by our BIOS Guru CodeRush.

AFAIK the Samsung NVMe SSDs, which belong to the 960 Series, do not have their own in-box NVMe Option ROM.