[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@RokleM

This is my Intel 750 on a Asus Z68 Deluxe board and I don’t have write cache enabled. I’m only limited by the system bus in this case but still not bad considering its an old board.

In your case I would try another PCI-E slot, update drivers, or just use another drive with better performance.

Did the firmware update and changed windows settings. Now 3200/4000, much better.

Thanks all.

Wanted to say thanks!

I did the mod on my Z87 Asus Hero VI BIOS some time ago and just got around to installing a 960 EVO, cloned the OS to it and it booted right off the bat.

Thank you so much, Fernando!
Put Windows 7 on a 961 sm.
Add to the instruction that for an SSD without a bootloader the master boot record must be a GBP, not an MBR.
Well, the question. Can I create RAID 0 on my MB for 2 SSD sm961? :slight_smile:

Hey Fernando! Thanks for the amazing post. I have a Sabertooth z87, have followed the guide, flashed the bios, unplugged the discs and plugged in my 960 EVO via an adapter. If I plug it into PCIE16_2 it shows in bios that the slot one is 8x and slot 2 is 4x. Which I guess is fine? However it doesn’t see the drive when I am going into Windows installation. Any idea what can be done? THX!

@nonexistent :
@matthecat :
Welcome you both at Win-RAID Forum!

What is "GBP"? If you should mean the "GUI-Mode Partition Table" (GPT), the requireness is mentioned within my guide (= start post).

No, only Intel chipset systems from 100-Series up do support the option to create an Intel NVMe RAID array.

I suspect, that you didn’t follow exactly my guide.
Which Windows OS did you try to install?

I suspect, that you didn’t follow exactly my guide.
Which Windows OS did you try to install?

I did to the very latter! :slight_smile: Windows 10.

EDIT by Fernando: Missing quoting code added

@matthecat :
Are you sure, that you got the modded BIOS successfully flashed into the BIOS chip of your mainboard?

@Fernando Yes, the lights indicated success.

@matthecat :
Which BIOS settings did you change and how did you try to get Win10 installed?

Win 10 - used the tool to create UEFI bootable drive with GTP partitioning.

BIOS settings - fast boot off, hardware fast boot off, direct key off, CMS disabled, secure boot disabled, SATA mode selection aHCI

Also the drive sometimes appears in Storage Controllers in Device manager, and sometimes it doesnt. No idea why that is.

It sounds like contact problem. Turn off the system and unistall then reinstall the adapter and your nvme ssd. After that go to UEFI settings and make sure u use the recommended settings. And try again your OS now. I hope you will have more succes cheers!

And Fernando, whats the main difference between version 2 and 3 of this module? Thanks! :slight_smile:

Tried 2 drives and 3 different adapters and its same story. I think I will just return it to be honest, too much hassle IMHO.

The main difference is, that the version 2 works, whereas the currently available version 3 obviously doesn’t work.

Hello,

Can’t boot from Samsung 960 Pro on ASUS Z77 Sabertooth(https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SAB…specifications/) via M2->PCIe (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N78…0?ie=UTF8&psc=1). NVMe still working properly only as data storage.
I tried to mod bios by following the guide and use BIOS flashback - the whole process was OK with blinking but still can’t boot from 960 Pro.
CSM disabled, Fast boot disabled, all SATA drives detached, ASMedia Storage disabled. Tried to use all three PCI-E big slots - no luck.
Also tried to use Clover flash drive - when starting loading from Clover windows logo looks like the gray square and system restarts after few seconds of booting.

Can somebody share modded BIOS for ASUS Z77 Sabertooth with bootable NVMe, or give advice how to deal with this issue?

Thanks!

@m1from :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

You must have missed something or done something wrong. Which OS did you try to install onto the Samsung 960 Pro SSD?

An NVMe modded ASUS Z77 Sabertooth BIOS has been offered >here< by our Forum member FreeOwl.
You may ask him how he succeeded.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@m1from
With W10 x64 To get successfull SM960 family (PRO and EVO) on ASUS Z77 I have mandatory inserted NvmExpressDxE_2 module into BIOS.
This is what I have done for my P8Z77-V Deluxe. I assume for ASUS Z77 Sabertooth model it is the same thing. For sure NvmExpressDxE_1 never works with a Z77 platform.

I just tried this modded BIOS from @FreeOwl and still can’t boot from NVMe.

My actions:

Flashback with moded BIOS from FreeOwl:
0. Format USB flash drive with MBR partition and FAT32 file system, copy moded “Z77ST.CAP” BIOS from FreeOwl
1. Shutdown PC
2. Detach all SATA and USB devices but keyboard and mouse
3. Attach MBR FAT32 USB Flash drive with modded BIOS "Z77ST.CAP"
4. Make sure power supply is on
5. Push BIOS Flashback button until button start blinking
6. Wait while button blinking and Flash drive also showing activity
7. After a minute or two BIOS Flashback button stops blinking and turn into stable light - no blinking
8. Detach USB Flash drive with moded BIOS and push power on

Install Windows 10 on NVMe:
1. Apply default BIOS settings and then disable CSM, disable Fast Boot, disable ASMedia Storage (also AHCI is already set for SATA by default)
2. Attach USB flash drive with Windows 10
3. Start to Install Windows 10 on NVMe, remove all partitions(created on previous attempts) and create new (windows installer create 4 partitions, install on primary one)
4. When Windows 10 installed, installer count to 10 and reboot
5. If I didn’t detach USB flash drive with Windows 10 installer begins from scratch
6. If I detach USB flash drive with Windows 10 I see BIOS window saying “The current BIOS settings do not fully support the boot device. Press [F1] to enter the BIOS Setup”, “Go to Advanced > Boot > CMS Parameters, and adjust the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) settings to enable the boot device” (CSM disabled right now)
7. I trying to change CSM to all UEFI or other options and still getting message from 6 item

Interesting fact: I failed to Flashback BIOS from 32GB Flash Drive(stable light just after 5 seconds from starting flashing new BIOS) but from 8GB Flash Drive it looks like success(blinking about a minute and turn into the stable light) with flashing modded BIOS, both have the same MBR+FAT32+same “Z77ST.CAP” BIOS from FreeOwl
Still no luck with NVMe booting. Samsung Magician shows 960 Pro with the latest firmware in GOOD status, works correctly as the storage drive.

I will try to re-build system attaching part by part from scratch. Also, I will check CPU pins.

Thanks!

This indicates, that you have not completely disabled the "Secure Boot" option within the BIOS.