HP EliteBook 8560w displays "ME is in recovery state at startup"

Hi all,
I have a HP Elitebook 8560w notebook p/n LG660EA that had a problem. It didin’t start and the led’s blinked 5 times meaning a general system board failure.
I sent it to a local repair shop and they have substituted the southbridge chip, an Intel QM67.
After this on startup the notebook displays “ME is in recovery state”. It works but is very slow!
Any help would be great.
Thank you

Dump the system’s SPI image with Flash Programming Tool (ME thread), follow the cleanup guide and flack back followed by “fptw -greset” command.

Hi Plutomaniac,
Just got my notebook back, and want to do what you have told on your last post.
Intel Management Engine installed is version 7.1.20.1119 Rev.B, http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/publi…059#tab-history
I must download Intel ME System Tools v8 r1 to perform this, right.
Can you, please explain how can I “Dump the system’s SPI image with Flash Programming Tool (ME thread)”?
Thank you very much.

That problem should have been detected and fixed at the shop, it will probably not be easy for you to fix it. Maybe even impossible without some HP software tools which reapply some board specific information and ME provisioning. Generally, HP is very annoying when it comes to ME 5MB firmware and motherboard alterations based on past experience.

Install the latest ME 11.0 driver from the ME thread and then run Flash Programming Tool with command “fptw -greset” which will reset the ME. Check if that helps. If it doesn’t, try command “fptw -d spi.bin” but if you get “cpu access” error then things become a lot more complicated. If such an error is not shown, compress and attach the created “spi.bin” file.

Hi,

I think my Windows 10 Profile is corrupted. Can´t update ME Driver.

fptw returns:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. Todos os direitos reservados.

C:\Users\Jorge Martins\Downloads\Intel ME System Tools v6 r1\Flash Programming Tool\Windows>fptw -greset

Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool. Version: 6.0.40.1214
Copyright (c) 2007-2010, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Please see HWInfo attached.

Can you help me to sort this out, please?

Error 201: [FPTw.exe] cannot be run on the current platform.
Please contact your vendor.

C:\Users\Jorge Martins\Downloads\Intel ME System Tools v6 r1\Flash Programming Tool\Windows>fptw -d spi.bin

Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool. Version: 6.0.40.1214
Copyright (c) 2007-2010, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Error 201: [FPTw.exe] cannot be run on the current platform.
Please contact your vendor.

C:\Users\Jorge Martins\Downloads\Intel ME System Tools v6 r1\Flash Programming Tool\Windows>

20161215_HWInfo HP EliteBook 8560w.zip (17.9 KB)

The error you get is very descriptive and a clear indication of what you are doing wrong.

Hi Plutomaniac,

As I said, windows 10 profile was corrupted. Done a clean installation.

Downloaded Intel ME System Tools v7 r1 and runned tests:

fptw -greset reboots the machine.

I am attaching severall outputs from MeInfo, MeManuf and FPT with command "fptw -d spi.bin".

Can you, please check the outputs and tell me what to do?

Rhank you very much.

METestsResults.zip (5.35 KB)

Your case is the same as seen here. The shop changed the motherboard and now the ME is unprovisioned with HP being very weird about it requiring their tools to do so etc. Read that thread and try whatever is listed there, maybe you’ll get lucky compared to that person. Otherwise, I don’t have anything else to add, everything I could possibly say is there.

Hi Plutomaniac,
I have read the thread and I am wondering if enabling AMT in Bios could be the solution.
Can you please read the attached file?
Thank you very much.

Setting up and configuring Intel AMT.pdf (2.08 MB)

The way I had understood the situation back then was that the BIOS would set the ME in recovery mode because the system was not provisioned as HP wants it. Since it happens after hardware changes (motherboard) it should be mostly BIOS related. The tests we had performed to clean+reconfigure the ME proved that. Also the fact that HP has some factory tools to do that provisioning but they are not available to end users, some links can be found at that topic you read and I refer to. Since in your case the motherboard got changed, you should be facing the same issues as the guy I linked above. From the ME standpoint, all you can do is what I said above (more detail). Everything else is HP/BIOS related and I had already tried to help in the other thread with no success because HP BIOS works in a weird/strict way. If you cannot even do the bare minimum of ME region cleanup, as instructed above, then try adjusting settings at MEBx but I doubt it will help.

Can you please tell me if it is normal that ME Manufacturing mode is active?

HWInfo shows:

[ME Host Status]
ME Current Working State: Recovery
Manufacturing Mode: Active
ME Current Operation Mode: Normal

Manufacturing mode Enabled means that the CPU/BIOS has Read/Write access to the SPI ME region (unlocked Flash Descriptor) and/or that the ME Manufacturing Done Bit (Global Lock) is not set.

that means we can modify ME and correct the recovery mode?

Not necessarily. The Manufacturing mode depends on FD lock and/or Global Lock. I edited my previous reply with that information as well. As stated last time, if you cannot dump your firmware via "fptw -d spi.bin" then you cannot repair the ME firmware.