HP Envy 17-J110EG Bios F65A and Windows 8.1

Hello everybody!

I have searched the entire Internet and found no help until I came across this site.

I have a HP ENVY 17 Laptop with J110EG Intel RAID Controller on board.

I want to install Windows 8.1 and because the problems come.

On Cannel 0 on an SSD controller depends 1TB HDD SATA
On Cannel 1 on an SSD controller depends 500GB MSATA
On Cannel 2 controller on a SSD depends 1TB HDD SATA

I want to install the system in UEFI mode, but I do not get it out that the SSD is accessed on MSATA port than the 1-th disk.

Now my question here, can someone build a Bios together me?

Fine would be: 1. Current RAID Bios there
2. be able to choose the way the boot Corol the hard drives?
3. use UFEI mode

here are the links for Bios: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp69501-70000/sp69886.exe

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi HannHenne!

Dude, your english is terrible… BUT I found your original german post on the HP forum here.
I even found your Dr. Windows forum post. Please be a little patient and don’t flood the internet.
Give the forum members a little time to answer to your question (more than half a day).

EDIT: removed pretty much every useful information.

REASON: your BIOS is RSA signed and therefore modding is impossible.
Even if you dump your BIOS, modify and flash it, you would brick your computer.
To install Windows 8.1 in UEFI mode, please post screenshots of your BIOS configuration menus (ESC, then F10).
An please post screenshots of your boot menu (ESC, then F9).

BTW: I tried to open your BIOS images with ezH2O, AndyP’s tool and UEFITool. All of them failed (RSA signature).
Hard disk boot order is useless in UEFI mode. Just boot the DVD in UEFI mode from the boot menu (ESC, then F9),
install it to the mSATA SSD (disconnect other hard drives to be 100% sure) and set your BIOS to boot “Windows Boot Manager” (or similar).
That’s it.

Original Post:

Hi HannHenne!

Dude, your english is terrible… BUT I found your original german post on the HP forum here.

In the BIOS update package are 2 ROM files.
Please download the BIOS package from the support site and just start it and DO NOT flash it. Then tell me what file it wants to flash.
01961.fd or 01966.fd?

Anyway, HP uses Insyde BIOS for its mobile devices and modding them is… difficult at best.

Concerning the UEFI boot: HP used UEFI boot in their Core 2 notebooks ONLY for the recovery system. Standard CD-ROM and HDD boot were locked to legacy CSM mode.
I don’t know if this changed over time…

All you want to do is:
- install Windows 8.1 in UEFI mode to the mSATA SSD.
- update the Intel RST option ROM
Is this information correct?

PS: I even found your Dr. Windows forum post. Please be a little patient and don’t flood the internet.
Give the forum members a little time to answer to your question (more than half a day).

Here, these are the extracted SPI images from that HP pack. What to do afterwards is up to you.

Be careful which one you mod and flash, they target different models.

SPI Images for sp69886.rar (7.14 MB)

Hello,

first thank you for the help and sorry for the English.

I have the HP Packet also downloaded.

Unfortunately, I find no indication which file is flashed

Can someone help me because someone else?

Thanks

The patching of this new RSA protection is not impossible, as demonstrated by CodeRush, but when you can’t understand what the user wants and it doesn’t seem to be an important or necessary change, it fails to be a strong argument for the invested time, for any modder. Well, I can only speak for myself, but I think this will be the consensus.

Determining which of the two images is for your system is easy since they target different platforms (01961 is 7-series and 01966 is 8-series). But if the extracted SPI image has some sort of protection then indeed you might find it very rare for someone to help in such a difficult case. I, for one, don’t have such knowledge either way.

@plutomaniac :
Modding of RSA encrypted HP BIOS’ is currently impossible, because we would have to sign the BIOS image after modification.
The HP RSA keys did not leak, so HP computers with this protection are safe since 2013…

Yes, although I don’t have experience with modern HP systems, I was referring to what lordkag said: The patching of this new RSA protection is not impossible, as demonstrated by CodeRush […]. Anyway, the bottom line I guess is that nothing more can be done.

AFAIK the mSATA SSD is only there for Intel Smart Response Technology. I don’t know if this can be changed, but HP states that the SSDs size can only go up to 32 GB.
The fact that RAID mode can’t be changed to AHCI and the boot sequence can’t be changed speaks for itself.