HP HDX9000 mods

That was probably an official exe file. Here’s a hacked version of the flasher (with signature check disabled), try using it
https://www.mediafire.com/file/1ucp3olas4tszzw/HPQFlash_No_Rom.sig_check_patched.exe/file

You can also follow these steps for blind flash:

1. Rename Rom.bin to 68DVD.BIN
  2. Copy the 68DVD.BIN file to a freshly formatted (not bootable) floppy.
  3. Remove battery from HDX.
  4. Plug a USB floppy drive into the HDX and place the floppy with the bios file in it.
  5. Hold down ‘Windows’ and ‘B’ keys simultaneously while turning on the power.
  6. Release keys when floppy drive is accessed (when the light on the floppy drive starts blinking).
  7. Sit back and wait about two minutes

The program shows the error: “The driver failed to load”.
I don’t have a floppy drive, is it possible to flash the BIOS from a pendrive?

You might need to copy HPQFLASH into the root of the disk partition along with the BIOS (Rom.bin) which needs to be compressed into “Rom.cab”. This is the only file the utility accepts. In order to compress your BIOS into .cab, you need to run makecab on it via CMD. “ver.txt” file might also need to be included into the cab file.

I don’t remember how I revived my first HDX9000 either by using a pendrive or floppy, you can give it a go with a pendrive of up to 1-2GB (better with a LED indicator to watch for the activity).

Hello. BIOS on my HDX9200 was damaged during an upgrade from F.35 to F.40.
Would someone please help me find a way to flash it and repair?
I have tried multiple procedures and none have succeeded so far.
I would really appreciate your help.

Hi. I don’t remember well, but these are probably the steps I went through to revive mine.

1. Download latest bios from HP and extract to a folder. Use WinRar or 7Zip to extract all the files in the executable.
  2. Extract either NV.cab or ATI.cab depending on your graphics card.
  3. Open the ver.txt file and look for the string after ‘ROM’ (for F.40 bios it was ‘68DVD’).
  4. Rename Rom.bin to 68DVD.BIN
  5. Copy the 68DVD.BIN file to a freshly formatted (not bootable) floppy.
  6. Remove battery from HDX.
  7. Plug a USB floppy drive into the HDX and place the floppy with the bios file in it.
  8. Hold down ‘Windows’ and ‘B’ keys simultaneously while turning on the power.
  9. Release keys when floppy drive is accessed (when the light on the floppy drive starts blinking).
  10. Sit back and wait about two minutes for your HDX to rise from the dead!
1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply!
I will get a floppy drive and a floppy first :slight_smile:
Hopefully it will do the trick.
USB does not react at all, so I am a bit pesimistic about this solution. CD-ROM kicks in, so maybe I will also try to burn a CD.

I’m pretty much sure that the DVD drive won’t work out. Ask a repair shop to flash the BIOS for you if my guide won’t help.

Your method has worked!
Thank you so much for helping to revive my dragon :smiley:

Awesome! You are welcome👍