HP Insyde Bios Update Microcode

Hello,

I’m trying to get the microcode updated for a HP Notebook. I’ve already extracted the Manufacturer Bios and investigated that the Bios is RSA signed. I’m not sure about that and I’m not sure about what does this mean for my plan to update the microcode.

So my question is, if there is a way to update the microcode or not.

If I load the Bios with InsydeH2OEZE Tool I’m able to delete/replace the old microcode and insert the new microcode. I cannot just add it because of the size.

Now I’m in fear about flashing this Bios. Because I have no experience with this Insyde Bios Tool and I’m unsure what this RSA signed exactly mean. Some people in the WWW write it does not matter. Some people say in worst case u have just to reflash the old one and some write that the notebook will be dead.

I have attached the Bios files if someone is kind, all knowing :wink: want look into it and able to give me an advise.
hp_insyde_bios.zip

Kind regards,
pwned

P. S. I’ve read something about to dump the Bios, modify it and then rewrite it. But I guess I would need Hardware for this?

I have update my microcode with an hex editor ,the computer is twh , hm65 chipset.

I download your pack ,you shure cpu40651_plat72_ver00000023_2018-01-18_PRD_0A6E6647 is microcode? i don’t think so!

Hello virginlulu,

well 1st of all, thx for dropping by.

I’m sure I could achive this with a hexeditor too, but therefore I would have to investigate more then the start address of the microcode header. I would assume that there is more then one microcode integrated. And I would expect a checksum after the microcode block. And maybe there is a checksum over all blocks at the end of the file. I have noone to discuss this issues. So I would have to do “try and error”. I don’t want to do this on a notebook. Esp. I have no clue about the hardware inside and the hardware I would need to program the chip in case of fail. That’s why I’m here.

I’m pretty sure that the microcode file is right for this specific notebook. Linux is indicating this cpu as 40651 (i3 4030U) and is loading this microcode rev. 23 on boot without any issues. I’m just unsure about the things I’ve done. I don’t know if it’s safe to delete the whole microcode part and insert just one new microcode. And more important: I don’t know if I’m fucked if I flash this Bios without this RSA signing shit.

I’ve read about dumping the Bios, modifying and rewrite it with a programmer. But I have no knowledge about the Hardware. So it’s not an option for me.

all right,show me the model of your pc,then i can download the latest bios from hp

the latest microcode is 20 from intel ,where did you find 23? search 51 06 04 00 hex ,your bios microcode is 1c

thanks to bing,after search ,i got the 23 microcode ,then it is easy to replace!

done!wait for upload it to you!

1. Notebook is HP 350 G1
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/sel…book-pc/6709440

2. Latest Bios File is F.16 Rev.A: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp77001-77500/sp77134.exe

3. Windows 7 and Arch Linux installed

4. I’ve got the Microcode from here: https://github.com/platomav/CPUMicrocodes

5. I’ve made a intel-ucode image for my Arch Linux installation to verify that the Microcode is the right one:

6. Microcode Revsion on F.16 Rev.A Bios is 0x1c

7. Start Address I’ve identifyed already.

8. Strange are just the entries made by phoenix/hzo-tool

here it is!

hp_insyde_bios.rar (5.51 MB)

there are 6 microcode in hp"s bios i just find and update 3 of them ,together with in the package!change name to 021B7.FD,and replace 021B7.FD in temp folder :C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\pft3163.tmp,then use hp"s tool to update!

Hello virginlulu,

thanks for your work and effort. But I had no luck. The update process is starting and aborting after ~ 30 seconds. Plain Error Message that it’s failed. After exiting system reboots immediatly. I guess there is a second check after 1st check. Or the FD-File is extracted and checked. Probably it fails because of the signing shit.

I don’t know what to do at this point. So I think I have to give up this.

maybe you can updat by intel FPT