HP Probook 650 G4 - Lost power, I think? During AMT de-provision process, now I get black screen on power on

First here is how things went down.

I entered the bios and began to de-provision Intel AMT - it began with a reboot and then prompted me to de-provision AMT - proceed Y/N -
I pressed Y and hit enter, and I thought the PC shutdown, but perhaps it actually lost power at this point. I had the power adapter plugged in but apparently the plug from the wall came out of the brick when I wasn’t noticing so 1 of two things could have happened…
Something went wrong with the process, or it lost power during the process and corrupted something
I tried making a HP recovery usb with the bios SW pack and it didn’t do any good.
It just powers up for about 30 seconds with a black screen fan spins up, then the power cuts and the laptop goes silent.
Caps lock and numlock keys are flashing I think 5 times which supposedly means bios corruption.
So what’s my next step,?
I’ve already made a dump of the chip with 32mb that contains Intel ME and presumably AMT

I was planning to clean the ME region and try to boot up again after, but I can’t find the RGN file for my version of ME.

This link has my zipped up bios dump and my ME analyzer log after calling -dfpt
Only thing of note is
Error: MFS Scratch Page 4294967295 Header CRC-8 0xFF is INVALID, expected 0xC1!

Please assist! Thanks in advanced.

This is in the repository and will do:

1 Like

I’ll let you know how things go. Thanks for your input.

Just thought to ask, should I use the existing PMC file from the bios dump or update it with the PMC file from the repository? I already created an image following the guide. Here’s my outimage.bin - think it looks okay to try flashing? Google drive link

Binary compiled by using the following procedures
Dump image opened in FIT
Repository EXTR Y file matching my version used to replace ME Sub Partition.bin
PMC has been updated in this image, with one from repository and I have manually set PTT Supported flags set to yes, but disabled.

I’m assuming I didn’t miss any steps, if I did please let me know so I can make any adjustments before flashing this to the chip.
Just FYI, I’m using RT809F programmer to program the chip in place using probes on the test point pads directly adjacent to the corresponding chip pins, seems this board has it’s own pads to breakout the SMD chips.

The PMC is usually not changed, just copied in by FIT.

Fiddling with additional settings for a brick always adds an extra moment of uncertainity. Boot guard setting should already be fused into PCH, and there’s a basic PTT setting that disables PTT permanentnly in PCH.

Boot Guard Profile 0 - Legacy is for platforms that do not wish to enable Boot Guard boot block verification or measurement protection. When manufacture is completed, this value is burned into an FPF, and is permanent. This setting is only configurable when OEM signing is enabled (See PlatformIntegrity/OemPublicKeyHash).

Intel(R) PTT Supported [FPF]
This setting will permanently disable Intel(R) PTT through platform FPFs. Caution: Using this option will permanently disable Intel(R) PTT on the platform hardware.

Okay so I’ll just ignore the two warning messages and recompile then with only the sub partition replaced.
Thanks for your input.

Hell yes, that did the trick. Thanks!

Seems to have killed my HMDI audio for some reason though…
image_2023-10-14_215554857

What’s in the firmware tab of this dev-manager properties page?

Can you attach the me-region of outimage you used?

Looks like I had to re-enable ME in the bios after factory resetting things, re-enabling ME seemed to fix my HDMI port and HDMI audio issues. Strange, sorry for the false alarm. Only realized what had happened after running MEInfo and it showed ME disabled. Went to bios to reenable and after reboot everything worked again.

This bios and ME firmware is rather old anyway, I’d recommend a little walk through HPs updates.

(Disabling ME in bios for some machines disables ME permanently until reflash of a ME region? Since HDMI is protected audio and covered by ME disabling ME will have such an effect,)