Huanan X79 2.4 E with AMI UEFI bios - Can I add support for a xeon e5 1680 v2?

I have been messing around with a huanan x79. I have tried both an e5 1650 v2 and an e5 1680 v2. The 1650 v2 works fine and I can get a small overclock (4.1 GHz on all cores). When I try this with the 1680 v2, it will not go past 3.3 GHz even when not overclocked and only drawing about 70w according to hwinfo. See here for 1680 v2 turbo states:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_In…2_(uniprocessor)

Searching the interwebs it seems like overclocking this even on high end motherboards can be problematic. For example an asrock EPC602D8A has trouble overclocking it but an Asus P9X79 Pro does not. See here:

https://community.hwbot.org/topic/167039…2-overclocking/

I think that is because there is no support in the bios for a lot of x79 boards. You see the 1680 v2 was not sold at retail but only used in 2013 mac pro. I think that the huanan x79 similarly does not support the cpu and is causing the weird clocking results. My question is, can I add support for this cpu to the ami uefi bios of the x79 2.4e?

I went and found bios for the motherboard I am using and the latest bios for the asus p9x79 pro. The latter is treating the 1680 v2 correctly and allowing an expected overclock. The former is in some way nerfing 1680 v2 and limiting even standard turbo bins (base clock 3 GHz with 4/4/4/4/5/7/8/9 turbo bins). Can someone point me to the segment of the bios where turbo behavior / overclocking is defined?

Thanks

rev2.4e_fullflash_cpu_ram_06-28-2017_ 14-07-28.rom.zip (3.47 MB)

P9X79-PRO-ASUS-4701.zip (4.73 MB)

Doing a lot more reading, I’m guessing that if there is an overriding set of turbo bins on a per cpu basis, it probably is in the firmware engine in an extr tagged region. Does anyone know of any documentation as to the format of such regions? What is the best tool to view the data in such regions?

The huanan is probably limiting turbo bins to make sure your chip doesn’t cause the vrm to burn.

The 1680 v2 is ivy-e silicon pushed to its limits, so the limited OC headroom isn’t because of lack of support.

I’m not even getting nominal turbo bins, say only stressing a single core and power is in the 60-70w range. If I could burn the vrms it would be mission accomplished.

that’s what i’m saying - the disabling of the turbo bins is deliberate, and isn’t a support issue.

Right, I think the same thing. I’m just trying to figure out how the bios is disabling the turbo bins on a per cpu basis. The 1650 v2 works fine. The 1680 v2 doesn’t even work at a nominal level despite the 2 being the same 130w tdp. I want to try to disabling the per cpu limitation and I suspect it is in an extr tagged data region in the firmware engine.