Impact of an optical drive on the system drive speed, if using the same AHCI Controller?

My current setup (X99 platform / Windows 7):
- SATA controller #1, 6 ports, Intel AHCI driver v14.8.16.1063 / SSD @ port 0, HDD @ port 1 (other 4 ports are not used).
- SATA controller #2, 4 ports, Microsoft default AHCI driver v6.1.7601.17514 / DVD @ port 3 (other 3 ports are not used).

I’m thinking about disabling SATA Controller #2 in BIOS and move my DVD drive to SATA Controller #1 @ port 5 (last one).
That way my system will use only one SATA controller with one Intel AHCI driver for all my storage devices.
This DVD drive is an old PATA one and it uses internal PATA-SATA adapter, like this one, with no problems so far.

Question: Can this DVD drive cause any troubles (slowdowns?) when added to the same SATA controller with obviously much faster SSD/HDD drives?

In my older PCs I always had DVD drive on separate controller but all controllers were using the same device driver, so it was ok for me. X99 platform has two controllers and each of them needs different driver.

I don’t think, that the DVD drive will drop the performance of the other disk drives, which are connected to the same Controller, but maybe you should buy a new DVD burner, which works fine in AHCI mode.

@Fernando : Thank you for this confirmation that all should be ok. :slight_smile:
I was planning to purchase new DVD burner but current build quality of DVD burners is so much worse than older ones that, in the end, I decided not to.
My DVD burner model is an exceptional one, it “reads all” and “writes all”, I’ve never had any problems with it and, many times, helped my friends to recover data from their old CDs/DVDs they had problems with.

Lex:
Since your question has not much to do with the topc “Recommended AHCI/RAID and NVMe Drivers”, but may be interesting for other users, I have moved our discussion into a new thread within the Subforum “Intel AHCI/RAID Drivers”. Furthermore I have deleted our last post about where to move your question and my answer.
I hope, that this is ok for you.

@Fernando : Yes, it is ok, and thank you.