Intel AlderLake/Rocketlake AVX-512 Enable/Disable

Hi,
so if I understand it correctly, to get AVX512 working on any board, you need to properly setup those MSRs (as covered here) and also you need to have microcode version 15 (not 18) in the BIOS? (e.g. (12900k) Patching older ucode to restore AVX512 | Overclock.net).
(and of course the right batch of CPU…)

How many people got AVX512 working with this tutorial?
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hello who can be kind and explain the process or a mini guide on how to edit the values in hex, thanks

i’m stuck :frowning:

@RussianE39 Do you have a reference for updating the module after exporting with mmtool? I opened it in a generic hex editor but couldn’t find a pattern that matched what you shared above after exporting modules: GenericComponentPeiEntry and SiInitFsp.

FYI- I am trying to modify the z690i aorus ultra plus ddr4 f1 bios.

Edit your post and notify the desired user, using @username.

Anyone got a Gigabyte Z690i Ultra Lite DDR4 motherboard to show working AVX-512 with a known un-fused Chip? I bought one of these boards and applied the BIOS mods listed above. I tried a few different BIOSs unfortunately I’ve had no luck…

Hey I finally got it to work last night, but I’m on Ultra Plus. What is the batch number of your chip? And double checked that e-cores are off?

@ptrang What program did you use to patch the modules? Like you mentioned, I can’t find the patterns using a hex editor after I extracted them with MMTool.

I’m patching the BIOS for Gigabyte B660I AORUS PRO DDR4 btw.

MMTool like OP said. After extracting a module, you can then use a hex editor to look for the pattern. I found success after 1. inserting microcode 15, 2. deleting all later microcodes, 3. modifying GenericComponentPeiEntry.

Reread your comment → I actually used an online hex editor lmao (https://hexed.it/) and searched for the pattern 83 e0 03 83 65 f4 since there were duplicates of 83 e0 03

3 Likes

@ptrang Appreciated, I found the patterns for both GenericComponentPeiEntry & SiInitFsp (and now I understand the format @RussianE39 used in his example). I hope to share my results soon.

Success, AVX-512 is working!! I’m running my i7-12700k on the latest BIOS (F5b) on my Gigabyte B660I AORUS PRO DDR4. @RussianE39 You rock.

When flashing the modded bios using EFIFLASH or Qflash I got the error “Invalid BIOS Image”. However when using the dedicated USB-port for BIOS flashing it works. So to be able to have AVX512 support I needed to:

1. Apply microcode 15 patch using MMTool ((12900k) Patching older ucode to restore AVX512 | Overclock.net)
  2. Apply patches as stated in OP, using HxD + MMTool
  3. Follow the guidelines as stated in OP

I added my modded BIOS, but be sure to read the OP post very well.

B660IAORUSPRODDR4.zip (8.8 MB)

2 Likes

I tried really hard but I was not able to do the same thing with my BIOS for my Z690 Gigabyte motherboard, since you are successful if possible can you please do the same thing to this BIOS file so you can enable AVX-512 on it please I uploaded it in the link below.

Download | file.io

Trying to patch BIOS F21 for my B660I, but later BIOSes seem to have a different SilnitFsp module. I can’t find the patterns for patching the module anymore. Somebody was able to patch newer BIOSes?

Newer BIOSes have (much) better support for DRAM overclocking, so it would be appreciated a lot.

Update: I didn’t use the ‘Extract Uncompressed’ option in MMTool, everything fine with newest BIOS too :smile:

B660IAORUSPRODDR4.zip (8.6 MB)

1 Like

You should upload a BIOS with no E-Cores enabled, by backing up your own BIOS + settings. Did you do that?

No the BIOS I uploaded is just the newest one from the Gigabyte website. How can I go about backing up my own version of the BIOS I already have the E-cores disabled.

I tried using BIOS backup toolkit but it says it cannot identify my BIOS for whatever reason.

I used EFIFlash (UEFI boot). For me Q-Flash didn’t work with the newer BIOSes.

I am trying to patch my BIOS with the mod by OP. I have trouble understanding the format of patch OP has shown. I can search for hex values in hex editor but not able to understand how to patch.

Like “Change 24 01 AND AL ,0x1 to B0 00 MOV AL ,0x0”. I can find “24 01” but not able to understand “AND AL ,0x1”. Any ideas?

byte 24 = AND AL
byte 01 = 0x1

byte B0 = MOV AL
byte 00 = 0x0

2 Likes

@Sweet_Kitten Thanks a lot!

Now I am able to understand the syntax OP posted.

Also a good news, I just flashed patched BIOS (rev F4 with microcode 15) for my motherboard (Gigabyte B660M DS3H AX DDR4) with 12400F cpu and voila, CPU-Z reports AVX512F!
I didn’t see any specific setting in BIOS to enable or disable related to AVX-512 but looks like it did work.

Next step is testing AVX-512 (gonna search around on how to).

PS. My CPU 12400F has batch no. X143.

AVX-512

Hey!
I know this post is a bit old now but is there any way you could upload your modded bios?
I have the same motherboard, but I have absolutely no idea on how to mod a bios file and id rather not make a mistake and brick my motherboard.