Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (2-15)

That’s exactly what I was seeking for! Somehow I missed it, I think I’ve checked only the 15.0.45.2411.bin…

Of course it’s possible, just decompose the update using FIT and make the one you need.

14.1.70.2228_COR_H.zip (5.0 MB)
(According to MEA still not in the database?)

@Anton35
What you propose did work for the ME 15 discussed, but doesn’t work for this image (ME 14 Corporate H), I get this:

** WARNING **
FW image for FW Update was NOT created!
Reason: CSE FW from a decomposed IFWI image was used.
Action to fix the situation:
To have the FW Update image created, use the original Intel CSE image included in the ME FW Kit as released by Intel.

What am I missing?

@lfb6 I don’t quite understand what you want to do. Here is decomposed ME from update
14.1.70.2228_COR_H_A_PRD_EXTR-Y_B430BC4A.rar (4.1 MB)

1 Like

@Anton35 Thanks a lot!

I have to admit that I wasn’t aware that the ME Sub Partition extracted by FIT could be used (after modification explained by MEA) for ME rebuild!

SPS_Mehlow_05.01.04.913.zip (1.9 MB)

I have not read all the posts so dont know if this is mentioned or useful to anyone.
If so; plz feel free to delete this post.

Intel ME 11.x Firmware Images Unpacker:

“… The researchers discovered an undocumented field called “reserve-hap” and that HAP could be set to “1” for true. Apparently, the NSA wanted to ensure the agency could close off any possible security risk by disabling Intel ME…”

https://www.ptsecurity.com/ww-en/analytics/disabling-intel-me-11-via-undocumented-mode/

1 Like

What’s the last released MEi driver for the 2nd gen i5 2500k system
v11.0.0.1160 or v11.0.5.1189

@ SM03
last drivers MEi - 6x/7x : 11.0.5.1189 WHQL [28/03/2016]

1 Like

CSE ME 15.20.5.1682 Production Extracted Slim H EBG-H A
PMC 01.22.0.0 Production Independent H A CNP
PCHC 15.20.0.1001 Production Independent Unknown

CSME_15.20.zip (3.5 MB)

HP Desktop Workstation U60 Family

1 Like

https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/com.lenovo.ThinkPadN2IRN.firmware

How can I extract a ME12 image to create a clean flashable version for my HP laptop?

What do you mean?

• Creating an update file for your machine?
    There are no settings transfered in update files so if the details are identical (corp/cons, LP/H, versions of PHY PMC PCHC) an update file should normally work (but …)

• Creating a clean ME firmware region for you machine?
    You can’t, you need the original configuration of your machine from a firmware dump of your own machine and following the cleaning procedure linked in this subforum or you can extract a stock ME region from a complete stock firmware image (which I doubt Lenovo provides)

The first option. I’ve been updating the ME firmware manually from time to time since HP is a bit slow at updating when it comes to consumer hardware. Plato has been providing us with Extracted firmware images (No 12.0.93.xxx yet) that need stitching through the Flash Image Tool from Intel. Can I directly flash the Lenovo ME firmware on my HP laptop? Many Corporate versions seem to include extra Thunderbolt, camera, and wifi modules that my laptop doesn’t support. Do consumer builds come with those as well?

• Remove the header of firmware.bin
    Cut 0x318 in the beginning, save it
  • Open the resulting file in FIT, close FIT
  • Go to the decompressed folder (\filename\decomp, take ME Sub Partition.bin and PMCP.bin and save them
  • Check the ME Sub Partition.bin in MEA, take the length reported for CSE
  • Cut the end of the file to get the file size shown in MEA from the binary and save it
  • Goto the first post in this thread and follow the instructions to create an update file for ME12

Addresses and sizes are valid only for this file:
https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/com.lenovo.ThinkPadN2IRN.firmware

I can’t get fit to open the file after cutting it. And my sizes don’t match what you’re showing.

Could be a Wine issue. I can try on Windows later.

You did see that I moved the cutting at the end after opening in FIT?

[EDIT] I changed the order of the tasks in my last post, the cutting at the end has to be done after CSME is extracted by FIT. Trying otherwise would lead to these errors you experienced.

Sorry, I’m a bit confused.

Linux version of:
Intel (R) Firmware Update Utility Version (FWUpdLcl): 11.8.94.4518
Intel(R) MEInfo Version: 11.8.94.4518
here.

If someone succeeds in updating the firmware using the above utilities, please post the result here, especially for motherboards with older BIOS versions (for example the Intel Z170 chipset series from ASUS).

I tested and can confirm that flashing works using FWUpdLcl version 11.8.94.4518

1 Like

CSME System Tools (v11.8.94.4518) - FWUpdate & MEInfo ONLY
CSME System Tools v11.zip (7.5 MB)

2 Likes

Hi all.

Does anybody have CSME 14.0.40.1206 or similar?

I tried to re-build firmware with Intel FIT from CSME v14.0.20+ r20 but it gave me this error:

Error 213: [Fit Actions] Failed to load FITC binary to sub partition Failed to get fitc nvar configuration
Error 20: [Csme Binary Gen] Error executing pre-build actions.
Error 2: Failed to build.
Failed to build!

Many thanks!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (16+)