Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (2-15)

Thanks for answers. And yes, i was talking about firmware.

Thank you, yet again.
However, the problem is now fixed. After my previous post, I did NOTHING, and by that I mean exactly that, I just shut down the PC to clean my room, when I restarted it, entered BIOS just for kicks, showed MEI Firmware version 11.6.10.1196. I could not believe it.
I entered Windows quickly, before the BIOS would change itā€™s mind, lol, checked device manager, showed the device working (previously the device was simply not there), so I tried MEInfo, worked.
Flashed a newer version, worked as well, now ME Firmware is 11.6.13.1208.
Now idea what happened or how, itā€™sā€¦aliens :slight_smile:

@plutomaniac

Andā€¦ what about this:

@ Ataemonus:

Ah, right! You accidentally did a manual ā€œfptw -gresetā€ which is what I had suggested in the first place but was erroring out if I remember properly. Shutting down the system and removing power (cord + psu switch ideally) for 1 minute will have the same effect. Apparently I forgot to suggest that before. Itā€™s great that such a reset was all your system needed. Thank you for the followup report, enjoy!

@ KotTHECat:

Obviously it is flashed at the SPI chip. The only viable explanation is that the second chip was already updated to the same firmware version.

The second chip had the previous one for sure, thatā€™s the reason why I asked. :slight_smile: Hmm, thatā€™s strangeā€¦

@plutomaniac I did a fptw -greset before, to no avail, and shut down the computer several times before that, but maybe not for long enough.
Anyway, itā€™s sorted now :smiley:
Thank you.

@ KotTHECat:

Then you updated it but donā€™t remember or did something else. The firmware is found at any given SPI chip. Everything else does not make sense.

@ Ataemonus:

A simple shutdown or restart is not enough for ā€œgresetā€ (platform + ME). The power needs to be removed as well for more than 5 seconds (I recommend 1 minute to be sure).

Well, as I said, that happened several times before it fixed itself, and the problem persisted. Plus, last time, when it fixed by itself, power was not cut, the PSU was on standby, the case has to be opened to shut down the PSU or the power cord removed (case is a Fractal Design Core 500, no access to the PSU with the case closed, not even to the on/off button of the PSU).
To reflash the BIOS I took the board out of the case, went to the service where it was plugged into a PSU and plugged out several times, then returned home, plugged it to my PSU, tested to see it still works, then removed everything again, installed in the case, etc.
So power was cut completely MANY times before.
Thatā€™s why I cannot explain it.
Perhaps, the winning combo is fptw -greset then shutdown or cut power, because I tried MEInfo just a few minutes before I shut down the computer prior to it fixing itself. Maybe I did cut power and not remember.
Still, for me itā€™s very weird.

I flashed 11.6.13.1208_CON_H_D0_NOPDM_PRD_EXTR.bin on a Z170 board, and MEInfo is saying this now:

Ā 

Intel(R) MEInfo Version: 11.6.10.1198
Copyright(C) 2005 - 2016, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Ā 

Ā 
Intel(R) ME code versions:
Ā 
BIOS Version 1.H0
MEBx Version 0.0.0.0000
GbE Region does not exist.
Ā 
Error 329: Region does not exist.
GbE Version Unknown
Vendor ID 8086
PCH Version 31
FW Version 11.6.13.1208 H
LMS Version Not Available
MEI Driver Version 11.6.0.1026
Wireless Hardware Version Not Available
Wireless Driver Version Not Available
Ā 
FW Capabilities 0x31110140
Ā 
Ā 

Is this a problem? That error looks disturbing.

Oh great, now I canā€™t even flash the older version 11.6.10.1196_CON_H_D0_NOPDM_PRD_RGN.bin now.
Error 8758: The image provided is not supported by the platform.

I also reflashed the BIOS and despite the MEI FW being overwritten (now it says 11.6.1.1142 H), those errors are still showing up. I donā€™t understand anything anymore.

It has been reported in the past, almost certainly a MEInfo bug related to the normal missing GbE region warning.

Read the first post carefully on why you cannot downgrade, VCN is the keyword.

Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI/AMT) Version 11.6.0.1047 WHQL

Date & driver Version MEI:Ā 11/16/2016,11.6.0.1042
Date & driver Version AMT: 06/20/2016,11.6.0.1009
For: Z170, Z270, Q270, B250, H1xx, B150,Ā Z97, X99, H97, Z87, ā€¦ (Intel Serie 8/9/100/200)
Date & pack Version : 12/19/16, 11.6.0.1047

http://station-drivers.com/download/www/ā€¦rivers.com).exe

But I was able to downgrade by flashing the entire BIOSā€¦

Intel MEI v11.6.0.1047 for Corporate systems Drivers & Software

From these drivers I can see that these newer firmware have been released by Intel:

Thanks to Pacman/SD for the new drivers and kostar20071 for letting me know!

@ Octopuss:

These are FWUpdate mechanisms. A firmware reflash via other methods when the user has read/write access to the ME region, is a completely different matter.

i used MEA with two bios : the one with chipset x79 reported

Family: ME
Version: 8.1.51.1471
Release: Production
Type: Region, Extracted
FD: Unlocked
SKU: 1.5MB
VCN: 2
PV: Yes
Date: 28/08/2013
FITC Ver: 8.1.51.1471
Size: 0x17D000
Latest: No

for the tools i use : Intel ME 8 Firmware Repository Pack r14.rar
and firmware 8.1.65.1586_1.5MB_PRD_RGN.bin

the second mainboard uses chipset C602

Family: SPS
Version: 02.01.05.073.1
Release: Production
Type: Region
Mode: Dual OPR
Date: 26/01/2012
Size: 0x2F0000

what tools i use : Intel ME System Tools v7 or v8 ?
and firmware : 02.04.00.043_PRD_OPR.bin & 02.04.00.043_PRD_REC.bin .

what exe and command line options i should use ?

plutomaniac hello, please help me with bios update for 1151 socketed boards with Z270-chipset (MSI Z270 GAMING M5 https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/ā€¦html#down-bios ):

If bios have version 11.6 of ME, which version of FPT I can use for updating- this version Intel ME System Tools v11.6 r4 - (Updated: 16/12/2016) ?

When the new version of ME (for example 11.7) at the BIOS will be released, can I update or downgrade bios with this version of FPT?

Intel MEI v11.6.0.1047 for Consumer systems Drivers & Software

Thanks to Fdrsoft/SD for the new drivers!

@ grml4d:

Correct for ME8. The other board uses SPS2 firmware. We have no tools for SPS2 and SPS do not use FWUpdate or the same tools as ME. Also, I donā€™t understand how versions work exactly, meaning whatā€™s newer or older. Itā€™s not as simple as ME or TXE. So leave that system as it is.

@ ANTIBIOTIK:

You need to download and use ME System Tools v11.6. Before you update, since you are the first 200-series user Iā€™ve encountered, run ā€œMEInfoWin64 -verboseā€ and post the result here.

I donā€™t use this board, but some people ask me about update with FPT and I decide to download bios and look inside with UEFItool and MEAnalyzer, if I will have board based on Z270-chipset I will post the result here

Updating is done via FWUpdate tool, not FPT. For Consumer PCH-H firmware, download the equivalent latest ME11.6 from the start post. To learn how to use FWUpdate, use parameter ā€œ-?ā€.

There is no point in discussing a hypothetical 11.7 branch. Upgrading/downgrading is entirely up to Intel. If we ever see such a branch, weā€™ll know then.

Maybe You said about update only ME without BIOS?

Usually I used FPT for update both parts- BIOS+ ME