Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (2-15)

So is it possible to create an RGN image from an EXTR?

8.1.70.PNG

No. We would need the clean stock EFFS/MFS region of said image. Taking the ones from previous or next RGN is not a proper method because they are not usually the same.

I have a similar issue with an Asus P9X79 WS where the IME should be v8, but is still v7.

Iā€™ve successfully created an updated/modded version of the latest BIOS (4802), but the IME is still at v7.

I tried downgrading the BIOS as described (I checked several BIOS versions for the first that jumped from v7 to v8 which was 3101), then reflashed 4802, but the IME was still v7

I checked and my IME IS locked. I tried the FTK8 Tool, but it was unable to access.

I was able to upgrade the IME to the latest v7 version (v7.1.80.1214).

What can I do at this point to upgrade to v8?

Thank you for your help and support!

Intel ME 11.0 Corporate PCH-H Firmware v11.0.27.3000 (EXTR ā†’ RGN)

@ Apshai:

The trick that has worked for other people is to flash the latest BIOS before ASUS upgraded to ME8 and then flash the first BIOS with ME8. During those updates, the OEMs temporarily unlocked the FD to reflash the ME from 7 to 8 and also gave special instructions on how to do so (something about restarts and leave the USB plugged in etc). I donā€™t remember anymore but try what I suggest and check out the instructions (if any) from ASUS back then.

Hi all, I checked recently the website and saw there is a new version. So i checked and it is not RGN, it is EXTR. Iā€™m still newbie in this stuff so i read after this. Looks like i have to modify the RGN image if i want to flash it, but i havenā€™t done that, only flash it (iā€™m talking about an older version i flashed in the past, couple weeks or months ago). Do i have to do any adition step now, or can i flash the new version as is? Thanks for your time.

@ speter2
You can flash via FWUpdate tool with command "FWUpdLcl -f new_fw.bin", no matter it is EXTR or RGN.

Okay, thank you for the fast answer.

Driver 11.7.0.1025
DriverVer=05/22/2017,11.7.0.1025
from SD http://station-drivers.com/?option=com_rā€¦ileinfo&id=2967

Intel MEI Driver v11.7.0.1025 (Windows 8.x & Windows 10) INF
Intel MEI Driver v11.7.0.1025 (Windows XP & Windows 7) INF

Thanks to Pacman/SD for the new drivers!

Intel ME 11.7 Consumer PCH-H Firmware v11.7.0.3290
Intel ME 11.7 Consumer PCH-LP Firmware v11.7.0.3290 (EXTR ā†’ RGN)
Intel ME 11.7 Corporate PCH-H Firmware v11.7.0.3290 (INTEL-SA-00075/CVE-2017-5689)
Intel ME 11.7 Corporate PCH-LP Firmware v11.7.0.3290 (INTEL-SA-00075/CVE-2017-5689)

Capture.PNG

Updated the notice regarding INTEL-SA-00075/CVE-2017-5689 (found 11.7.0.3290 COR-H and COR-LP):

bug.PNG

I have an asrock z97 aniversary.
Does anyone know if i update the bios, the ime will be downgraded?
I think asrock flash all the uefi bios and also the ime region.

I ask because the new bios has older ime inside it.

If thatā€™s the case then yes, it will be replaced. It really depends on the flashing method each OEM follows. You can always update to the latest ME firmware via FWUpdate, no matter what.

this motherboard make something strange that i have never meet in my life.
All fuctions works ok.
if i for whatever reason want to clear uefi and use the jumper clear cmos it works ok.

If i make the mistake and remove the cmos battery and and dont move the jumper to clear cmos it take power but it dont start and it stays there doing nothing.
after 20 tries it starts with only one ram and works ok until i remove the cmos battery.

before update it has the 9.1.20 ime.
It is possible to to not be compatible with 9.1.37?

MEManuf and MEInfoTool reports no error.

Nah, this is related to something else probably. You could try to see if switching between ME firmware changes that behavior but I doubt it. At most, something could be wrong at the ME settings but it sounds like a BIOS issue.

OMG you guys are amazing!!! I had an issue on the ASRock Z77 extreme 4 motherboard with the multiplier being locked.

I used the FTK and got the error where the descriptor was locked on the motherboard so decided to try the pinmod method.

I made a test bench today. Essentially rebuilt my computer on the table, found the pins I needed to short, made a tool using one of those cable wrap things with plastic and a long strand of metal inside and bent it to the width of pins 1 and 5.

I held the tool I made with a pair of long nose pliers and held it as best as possible on the test bench on pins 1 and 5.

It was so difficult as since the bios was corrupted, I could only use a graphics card adapter for the video, not the onboard graphics or any other PCIE slot and since the only slot I could use was above the REALTEK chip, I had to work around it.

However, after a few tries and a few restarts, it finally worked! I was amazed.

However, I was wondering: I didnā€™t seem to get the opportunity to reflash the bios, I just got a screen that came up and said the Intel ME Firmware was being updated, it updated and when I removed the short off the pins, it restarted, I went into the BIOS and BAM. All the features had returned and everything was working okay again.

I got the board pre-owned since they are not manufactured anymore so my guess is that the previous owner tried to update the BIOS but failed which then corrupted the BIOS in the process and when I did the pinmod it allowed the previous update to finish which fixed the issue. Am I correct in thinking this? Anyway, you guys are amazing! For anyone else looking to do this and are worried since the pins are so small on the motherboard, I will post a picture of what I used to fashion the tool out of.

It is good as you can bend it to the required length and just hold it there in place with a pair of pliers. I do recommend taking apart your computer and making a test bench with it though as its a million times easier than trying to work around a case.

Thanks again!

plastic coated wire plant twists.jpg

@ PitTricks101:

Thank you for your kind words. At some older boards, ASRock used to implement a forced ME rollback feature which would trigger every time the user tried to change the ME firmware (update, downgrade etc). Maybe it required an unlocked FD to finish that procedure and the board would thus hang or do a boot-loop while that requirement was not met. ASRock stupidity I call it but at least you got it to work.

So 11.7 is definetly just for Intel 8th generation?

That makes sense and I wouldnā€™t put it past them, I have seen so many over sights in the past, I guess itā€™s not too far of a stretch! I guess you can call it a lack of common sense. But yep, all updated to 2.9 and working, time to overclock finally! :slight_smile:

Nope. If you are referring to the vulnerability table, it is not meant to show upgrade-ability. The text under the firmware at the first post does. 11.7 works at all 11.0-11.6 systems. For 11.10 we need to do some tests at non-X299 so for now, unknown.

Is there any way to downgrade the ME firmware ?
Not a hard flash method, something software.
New BIOS from manufacturer, with ME firmware upgrade, but the ME firmware I have installed is newer, so BIOS update will screw up the board.