Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (2-15)

Try it yourself. As long as I had overclocked my CPU (I don’t do it anymore), I could do it only while running in AHCI mode. As soon as I switched to a RAID0 configuration, my system became extremely instable with the previous OCing settings.

I think you mean 11.2.0.1527/11.2.0.1006 OROM/driver combo, right?

You are absolutely right - it was a typo, which has already been corrected by me.

I do not really know what you mean, but the most important, not AHCI/RAID related OROM modules are listed within the first post of >this< thread.

The easiest way is to let UBU do the job for you.

Oh ok, I thought it was the other way around, more overclocking stability with RAID0 compared to AHCI.

Alright then. Who is UBU? Is he a member in these forums as well?

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted text removed to save space

UBU is not the name of a Forum member, but of a phantastic tool for a very easy and safe modding of all desktop mainboard UEFI BIOSes. UBU means "UEFI BIOS Updater".
For details please look >here<.

Hi, Mr. Fernando,
I am the guy - Kazbek, who was, some time ago, consulting with you,
the correct version of ME/MEI drivers for MSI GE60-OND with Windows 8.1 with Update 1 (x64).

I am currently in state that i uninstalled all software including GPU drivers (integrated and dedicated), LAN + Wlan drivers, cardreader, some msi system
utilities and some other drivers i want update currently afresh with more proper for Win 8.1.
And finally ready to make update of MEI/ME drivers and FW.

I have just one additional question on you-
and that is how and in which order i have to perform the procedure, for update/installing
of those new ME/MEI drivers and FW update.

For FW update i will use by you recommended 8.1.52.1496 and for ME/MEI software the Packaged driver+software suite v10.0.25.1048 WHQL.
I have also older MEI allOS package of v8.1.40.1416 from this site- does i need to use it or not -in some way…

________________________________________________________________________________________________
OK, can you please explain to me the proper order for update of ME/MEI drivers
and software and reflashing of Intel ME FW, could it be like this… or not (???) :

As first, should be
the "Intel Management Engine Components" software uninstalled from
Control panel in "Programs => Uninstall a program" (in Win8.1)
and then Engine Interface driver from "Device manager"
(or can this be done just as update of the Interface driver - via navigating to the file path for the installer of new driver)?

>I found also "other" Intel components possibly related to ME/MEI drivers,
first is "Intel SDK for OpenCL - CPU only Runtime Package v2.0.0.37149"
and second "System Requirements Lab for Intel v4.5.24.0" - may/can these two to be safely uninstalled from pc, or not
(they will be installed in newer versions by updating/installing new intel ME/MEI drivers…)?? <

And now to corresponding task - to the correct FW flashing = updating.
Should it be done after the uninstalling
of Intel Engine Components driver and Interface driver, or before it?

Have the v10.0.25.1048 ME1.5 Package Suite software and drivers, to be installed
after FW flashing or before the FW reflashing? (after previous uninstall of older Intel Engine Components and Interface drivers).

Thats all i want ask of you, i just needed
to be sure about correct order of the update procedure.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to your advice.
kazbek

You should remove the previously installed Intel MEI software, before you run the installer of a new MEI drivers & software package.
An additional uninstall of the formerly used driver is not necessary. It will be replaced automaticly by the installer of the new package.

AFAIK these 2 packages do not interfere with the installation of MEI drivers and software components.

It doesn’t matter. You can flash the Intel MEI firmware and install the MEI Drivers & Software Set independent of each other.

Thanks for the patience and help,
I currently reread my older posts about updating ME/MEI drivers and your answers on them.

Sorry, that i asked for some things more than one time - i am now sure how to do it.
So i would ask you something only if there will be some real (big) problem.

But i think and hope, that by following your advices,
all will be OK and working.

I will do the update right now ;D
thanks

Hello,
i tried to update Intel ME FW to v8.1.52.1496 yesterday,
but the setup guide - as in first post in the thread, didnt worked. It didnt update
the FW, it just created backup of original FW…
Can you please write me the other/alternate options how should i proceed and finish the update.

does it needs the ME/MEI software and drivers suite of v10.0.25.1048 to be installed first or something else??

Thanks

Did you run the MEInfo tool before?
What did it show? Which is your current Intel MEI Firmware version?
Are you sure, that you tried to flash a suitable branch (1.5M resp. 5M variant) of the Firmware?

No.

Hello,
all the info about the state of my pc, BIOS and firmware version-
i provided them some time ago as well i asked you about advice how to update those ME/MEI drivers and ME FW.

Citation from my older posts (edited):

>>Pc is MSI GE60-OND-298 [Quad core i7-3630QM Ivy Bridge 2.4-3.4GHz, MB- HM76 (Intel Express 7-series mobile),
1. GPU - Intel HD4000, 2. GPU - nVidia GTX660M,
8GB DDR RAM-1600, 750GB HDD-7200rpm] which
was originally shipped with pre-installled Win 8 x64.
Problems began after update to Win 8.1 in late October 2013.

Most of the problems i am having with GPUs and pc performance that got much lower in the meantime (since November 2013).

There seem i had found the way how to solve them- uninstall all network drivers, GPU drivers,
drivers of peripherals built on MB and then uninstall my current buggy (2012) ME/MEI drivers and update reinstall chipset INF driver.

Current state:

- my CPU has this code: 1E3A (Intel 7-series/C216)

- Intel INF chipset driver 9.3.0.1025 (outdated - originally from 2012 /MSI, installed)
- Intel Management Component driver v8.1.0.1281 (ME drv)
- Intel Management Engine Interface driver 9.0.0.1287 (MEI drv)
- Intel Control Center driver 1.2.1.1008
- System Requirements LAB for Intel Driver 4.5.22

So Please, can you recommend me - which of your installer-versions for update Intel ME/MEI drivers should i install and are proper for my laptop?
And do i really need to reinstall INF chipset driver and then installl new ME drivers?
Can you tell me correct order for their installation? <<

Up to now I updated only ME/MEI drivers and software with v10.0.25.1048 WHQL.
My current FW and BIOS are latest provided from
MSI from their support page for my NB and support forum - but they are possibly locked to accept inserting more current ME FW.

It could be the issue, if the FW is specific and because of that, it is locked and it shows no Gbe region info in MEINfo64, or not ??

I read some info about inserting ME FW into the Bios and then build your own updated Bios on- http://forums.tweaktown.com , but i wouldnt like to go that way.
It can possibly work, but it looks too risky for my case (MSI GE60-OND). So how, other way, can i know about the correct Gbe region if i am not able to see it.

Can my pc has 5MB Gbe region?, but that would be against
all my pc settings and known details about the Bios and FW.

As documented on screenshots i am NOT able to know what size
(1.5 or 5MB or whatever) is my ME FW Gbe region.

Does have to be something set in bios as first and then i would be able to update to latest ME FW?
For ME FW update i tried unsuccesfully 1.5MB v8.1.52.1496 FW.

Current state of my NB GE60-OND is attached as screenshot–> 1st picture is actual state, 2nd was previous (original) state.

The main difference between both screenshots is that in the UNS line on first picture has a UNS file missing, marked *… can be this fixed somehow?

[[File:currentState_GE60-0ND_ed.png|none|auto]]

[[File:myME-FWOriginal.png|none|auto]]

So, what comes from this for me?
Please, i wanna know what shall i do now.

Thanks in advance.

I am sorry about my redundant questions, but I do not have the time to search for all previous posts of somebody and to re-read them, when I am going to answer a concrete new question.
So it would be a good idea to create a signature, where you can lay down the most important informations about your current system.

I don’t know any other Intel ME Firmware installers than those, which are within the Intel ME FWUpdate packages I am offering within the start post of tis thread. So you only have the options to run the installer from within the Windows OS (there are separate installers for Win32bit and Win64bit) or from a real DOS environment. If you want to try the latter, you have to create a bootabe USB drive containing a DOS image and to add the needed FWUpdate files (ME.bin, FWUpdLcl.exe and flash.bat).

No. Btw: The "Intel Chipset Device Software" doesn’t contain any drivers, but just text files to give the related devices an Intel name.

As I have already written: The installation order doesn’t matter.

Don’t worry about the missing Gbe region and other missing details within the MEInfo DOS box window. That is not the reason for your issues.
You are absolutely right regarding the estimation of the risks, if you would try to update the Intel ME Firmware manually from within the mainboard BIOS.
Generally I would never persuade a non-expert to modify any BIOS of a mobile computer (laptop, netbook etc.). It is too risky for a newbee and even risky for an expert.

This is what I would do, if I were you:

1. Backup your important data.
  2. Flash the latest BIOS (if not already done).
  3. Do a fresh install of the latest OS version (take the suitable Win8.1 "Spring Update" ISO file). Another, but worse alternative would be to let the notebook recover the original system drive.
  4. Install just the drivers MSI is recommending for their product.

If you should still have issues, contact the MSI support.

By the way: Here is a screenshot with the MEInfos about my HM76 notebook (ASUS F200CA):
[[File:MEInfo ASUS F200CA.png|none|auto]]
Although a lot of Intel ME informations are missing, this notebook runs absolutely perfect.

EDIT:
As long as I am running Windows 8/8.1, I have never installed any "Intel Chipset Device Software" Set or any INF file, which is included. Only exception was my new Z97 mainboard, where Win8.1 found a "missing driver" for the Intel SMBus Controller. After having executed the newest special v10 Intel Chipset Device Software for 8- and 9-Series chipsets, the yellow mark was gone, but no "driver" installed. The INF Update installer did nothing else than to transfer the message to the OS, that the Intel 9-Series SMBus Controller doesn’t need a driver.

Nope, asking the important things is never enough,
if there still can be there some not known details, possibly. Can be just little boring, sometimes.

Yes, I am not a newbie (but NOT a BIOS Expert tuner) in pc maintenance and bios/fw flashing (“updating”).

My BIOS is latest for MSI GE60-OND, with i7 and Win8/8.1.

OS reinstall wouldn’t change that thing, albeit it might optimise some things - i still keep it as last resort.

BIOS is E16GAIMS.514, and MB latest FW is 16GAEMS1.506 - these updated (flashed) i soon after Win 8 to 8.1 update, around 25th of November 2013.

Both ARE installed and look to working OK - check it please for info:
http://www.msi.com/support/nb/GE60_0ND.h…-bios&Win8%2064

http://www.msi.com/support/nb/GE60_0ND.h…mware&Win8%2064

So maybe, that’s reason why i cant flash new ME FW to BIOS?
I dont know by now, where lies the bug…

I just meant that if i can NOT acquire all sufficient info “needed” for some sort of a deeper update - like is updating BIOS,
i will not perform that update. I currently (up to this day) flashed newer BIOSes and chipset FW to more than 35 PCs (maybe more).

My friends and others ask me, when they have some problems with pc how to solve them,
if its beyond their knowledges i often correct their problems and give them advices about how to maintain their pc correctly.

So i surely know various ways according to concrete manufacturer and type of PC board
(revision, supported hw and peripherals, desktop or mobile and etc).
In most cases i dont need to consult something like that with someone - until now/this problem.

Because i only never ever had to need to use other than original Bioses/FWs provided by support of some pc brand,
and not to build some modified BIOS on my own.

In most cases i asked one-two questions about a thing the support of
that manufacturer and things were solved, so i always knew what to do a how to do it.

I will also check my current settings and variables in my Bios,
and possibly obtain few more details from it.

Maybe then can i finish this thing…

Thanks for your patience

Hi there,

Looks there’s a version to add at the "D. Intel ME packages (with installer and different components)" section of the first page that is fully compatible with:

Version 1.5Mb & 5Mb available.

Since it does mention the fully compatible PCH 6/7/8 list for, could be handy for some.

Thanks for your info and the linked Intel ME Drivers & Software Sets v10.0.1.1000 WHQL for 1.5M and 5M systems.
Why do you think, that I shall add these Sets containing the Intel ME Drivers v10.0.0.1204 dated 04/03/2014 and the related Intel ME Software v10.0.1.1000 dated 04/04/2014 to the start post of this thread?

The Intel ME Drivers & Software Sets v10.0.25.1048 WHQL, which I am already offering there, are

• newer (the included Intel MEI drivers v10.0.20.1258 are dated 06/20/2014 and the included Intel MEI Software v10.0.25.1048 is dated 06/25/2014),
  • WHQL certified as well and
  • usable with the same Intel chipsets as the packages you have linked, but do additionally support the following Intel MEI devices:
    • PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8D3A
    • PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CBA
    • PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CBA

Hi again, here is what i found in my BIOS
(you can see that i have correctly installed and just working, the latest MSI BIOS build 514 and EC Firmware ver. 506).
I mentioned those in my previous two posts.

Please, Look on the screenshot =>

[[File:BIOS_EC-FWstate_W81_GE60OND.jpg|none|auto]]

So could it be for this case there, some workaround how to update that "unlucky" ME FW from 8.1.0.1248
to that latest 8.1.52.1496 -
without need to create an modded BIOS.

BTW what can tell you that GOP driver version (3.0.1018) about current PC setting?

Should i ask someone who is more "expert" in this topic?

If yes, please give some info about that.
Thanks

Seeing you have several sections and the “D” section still have the Intel ME Drivers & Software Set v10.0.0.1204 WHQL complete, that you could update only that section with the refreshed one i linked…just a thought!

It is not easy for me as the owner of this Forum to give you some names of Forum members, who are "experts" in this topic. If I were you, I would ask CodeRush and lordkag.

I have to thank you for this post, because I haven’t realized until now, that within the chapter D of the start post there was a dead link to the not yet WHQL certified Intel MEI Drivers & Software Set v10.0.25.1048 and to the meanwhile outdated Intel MEI drivers v10.0.0.1204 WHQL (btw: I am wondering, that I haven’t gotten any visitor hint previously).
As a consequence I have just updated the the start post.
Regarding the realisation of your idea to add the 1.5M and 5M Intel MEI Drivers & Software Sets v10.0.1.1000 WHQL I am rather unsure, because there are newer WHQL certified versions available and I haven’t yet seen any bug reports about them.
Thanks again for the info!

No probs Fernando…

It’s just that you tell for: "Intel MEI Software v10.0.25.1048. It seems to be usable with all Intel chipsets from 6-Series up. The following Intel MEI DeviceIDs are supported: 1E3A, 1CBA, 1C3A, 1DBA, 1D3A, 8C3A, 8D3A, 8CBA, 9C3A and 9CBA."

And the v10.0.1.1000WHQL described clearly the compatible platforms listed, even if v10.0.25.1048 is the newer.

Addition to my previous post.

Link to latest (previous) ME v8.1.0.1263 for Win8 with tools for modding BIOS and other:
(btw why such in original pack)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/y1d88j…63_w8_64bit.zip

Could it be possible to use that tools or guide for putting
the new v8.1.52.1496 ME FW into my pc, or not?

I have already downloaded
latest tools (FlashImage and MEManuf tool for Intel 6/7th series)
and also have HxDSetupEN software (and alternatively also WinHex 17.8).

The mentioned tools i have DL-ed from the http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/
from thread about Intel management engine (IME) - shown on first page of this thread.

I would possibly to try to mod my BIOS (that latest ver.514 + ME FW 8.1.52.x)
but I need someone more experienced to check “my work” if did not any big or small mistakes,
before it would be surely usable and not break my pc.

For everyone who can/want to check the original BIOS and EC FW files or Can Help Me with it,
(who can mod the BIOS) here are links to original files.

Latest BIOS from MSI for GE60-0ND (link)
also on official support page for GE60-OND:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7zkzt2…16GAIMS.514.zip

And latest official EC FW (link)*:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hufhxq…W_Upd11-2013.7z

*this file (flashtool installer) is correctly modified according to the guide originally provided by MSI, but the form currently
dowloadable on MSI support page is not usable as whole (has just the bare EC.bin file)
because there is flashtool part and few files with settings missing.

The original info and help were provided there after release of EC FW 1.505,
and according to it, you have to just replace 1.505 file with 1.506 and change flashtool
setting in Notepad to match new 1.506 file - and then you got latest EC FW.
But that info is currently missing on MSI support page for GE60-OND
and the flashtool (winflash) for flashing the EC file is also not there anymore.

So now, you are not able to flash latest EC FW to your GE60-0ND notebook :frowning:

I backed it up after creation for security reasons
(in case they would delete it - and they did that),
same as i have backuped the 1.505 EC FW with its tool.

Thanks and have a good day.

@ N607:
Thanks for your reply. I will think about it.

According to my experience a complete list of the supported DeviceIDs gives the users more security, that their Intel MEI Controller will be supported than a platform list, even if the latter was given by Intel.
Note: Each mainboard manufacturer is able to put any Intel MEI Controller onto their mainboards (regardless of their chipset).