Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (2-15)

Guys, I noticed that my MEI drivers are 10.0.25.1006… Shouldn’t this one be the latest?

The Intel MEI drivers v10.0.25.1006 have the highest available version number, but they are not the latest. They are dated 05/14/2014, whereas the Intel MEI drivers v10.0.20.1258 are dated 06/24/2014. Don’t be irritated by the date 05/09/2014 shown within the Device Manager (the Device Manager just reads the date from the related INF file heci.inf). If you want to know the real driver date, you have to right click onto the drivers (= .sys files) and to choose "Properties" > "Details".

I have a laptop with an H67 chipset (stil lseries 6) and has he 7.1.52.1176 firmware. Can I upgrade it to any series 8 firmware just like my desktop motherboard?

No, I wouldn’t try that. You probably have to stick with the v7 Firmware series.

No, I wouldn’t try that. You probably have to stick with the v7 Firmware series.

Oh ok. Do you have a good v7 firmware/driver combo that you can recommend for my laptop?

If you want to update the Intel ME7 Firmware and the Intel MEI driver at all (you should not expect any noticeable performance gain by doing that), I recommand to flash the Intel ME7 1.5M firmware v7.1.60.1193 and to manually update the Intel MEI HECI driver from within the Device Manager by using the attached 32/64bit Intel MEI HECI drivers v7.1.70.1198 dated 04/04/2013.
Note:
Provided that the Intel MEI Controller of your laptop is supported, you may be able to get even the newest Intel MEI Drivers v10.0.20.1258 WHQL installed, but according to my experience the brandnew Intel MEI driver named TEEdriver is not the best choice for older Intel chipsets like the 6-Series.

If you want to update the Intel ME7 Firmware and the Intel MEI driver at all (you should not expect any noticeable performance gain by doing that), I recommand to flash the Intel ME7 1.5M firmware v7.1.60.1193 and to manually update the Intel MEI HECI driver from within the Device Manager by using the attached 32/64bit Intel MEI HECI drivers v7.1.70.1198 dated 04/04/2013.
Note:
Provided that the Intel MEI Controller of your laptop is supported, you may be able to get even the newest Intel MEI Drivers v10.0.20.1258 WHQL installed, but according to my experience the brandnew Intel MEI driver named TEEdriver is not the best choice for older Intel chipsets like the 6-Series.

Thanks.

And can I really not upgrade the firmware to 7.1.60.1193 if I have a Windows 8.1 64-bit system? It says on the 1st page that it needs a 32-bit system. Does that mean I have to boot in a 32-bit system on this laptop just for that?

Have you already tried to run the tool from withn your 64bit OS?
Some users reported here, that the 32bit installer worked for them even with a 64bit OS.

Have you already tried to run the tool from withn your 64bit OS?
Some users reported here, that the 32bit installer worked for them even with a 64bit OS.

Not yet because I’m afraid it might screw my laptop but I’ll give it a try now and will report back.

EDIT: It seems to have worked seamlessly! So yeah, you can edit the note in the OP that it would also work in a 64-bit system :slight_smile:

That’s fine - thanks for your report!

New Intel ME FW 9.5.40.1892 with flash & info Tools.
http://www.station-drivers.com/

@ all:

Update of the Start Post
Changelog:

• new: Intel ME9.5 FWUpdate v9.5.40.1892 for 1.5M systems
  • new: Intel ME9.5 FWUpdate v9.5.40.1892 for 5M systems

Credits go to Pacman for having published the source files.

Enjoy the new Intel ME9.5 Firmware!
Fernando

Is it possible to update Intel MEI firmware on latest Apple Macbook Pro 13 retina (Hasswel CPU, Lynx-Point) via Bootcamp Windows 8.1? Has anyone tried?

@ Lipid:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Since I never have owned an Apple iMac or Macbook, I cannot answer your question.
Hopefully someone else can help you.

Regards
Fernando

I’m trying to update a Z87 motherboard with the last firmware v9.5.40.1892 but i get the next error:

Error 8704: Firmware update operation not initiated due to a SKU mismatch

I currently have version 9.0.31.1487 H

Since your Z87 system is a Desktop and not a Mobile or NUC system, you cannot use any Intel ME Firmware v9.5.xx.xxxx.
Conclusion: Your Intel 8-Series Desktop system has already the latest suitable Firmware (v9.0.31.1487).

Hi Fernando, could you please give some advices or recommendations
about that things i asked in my last (previous) two posts (on page 31).

I would like to finally solve the problem of updating the ME FW on my Intel HM76 7-series Express chipset…

BTW… I will also try to contact those more skilled people - in the BIOS setting and customization, from this forum today.

Thanks

I don’t think so, but to be sure, you should ask MSI as the manufacturer of your notebook.

How did you try it and what happened? Did you get an error message? If yes, what was the content?

I don’t know that. Have you already tried it?

Since I don’t have any experience with this sort of Intel ME Firware update, I cannot help you.

General statement:
With a mobile device (like your MSI notebook) the risk of bricking the computer by flashing a modded BIOS or a Firmware, which is not provided by the vendor, is much higher than with a desktop mainboard.
So my advice is, that these things should only be done, when
a) there are severe problems with the mobile system and
b) the Support given by the manufacturer doesn’t help.

Hello again.
I have inspected the contents of that original ME FW 8.1.0.1263 from MSI - Edit1=> from those files it is clear that ME FW is 1.5MB type (region),
and it had inside that MeManuf tool and
also that tool for editing a BIOS file with new FW = FlashImage Tool for 6/7series.

So it comes to me, why the hell would the MSI pack such tools inside the original ME FW installer - updater (flasher)…
If i tried it i would have that old ME FW 8.1.0.1263, but it would surely install correctly.

And about that error it writes to me, error when i tried update the ME FW - i will post it later here (or edit this post), because
i didn’t noted it for reference.

The flash tool created a backup (old.bin) of current ME FW bin file, but it didnt changed the current one.
So the original FW is kept.

So probably, it would be best to stop trying to update current ME FW and keep it as it is now.

I hope i didn’t bothered you too much.
I just wanted to update it correctly, even if that needed deeper technical expertise,
of which i have been really aware since, i asked you on various possible problems
that would come from trying to do the update.

Thanks

Edit 2:
About the error i got previously when trying to update to ME FW 8.1.52.1496 on my HM76 mobo: " This program cannot be run on the current platform "

Did that meant that that updater will just not work for my MB or pc?

@ kazbek3015:

Thanks for answering my questions.

This is a good decision, since you obviously do not have severe problems with the current Intel MEI Firmware version.