Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (2-15)

@MeatWar Can you please give me a link I seem unable to find the thread.

@ plutomaniac Hi, I am after Ice Lake Intel ME Firmware Upgrade.

Is it possible to ā€œunstitchā€ that firmware update?

I already know how to use Intel FIT to create a suitable update, but I havenā€™t seen just the CSE ME binary for 15.0.45.2411 Consumer H yet. In fact, this stitched update from Station Drivers would work for me if it wasnā€™t for the PHY part, which is different from what my laptop requires (on the other hand, the CSE ME, PMC and PCHC are suitable)ā€¦

Laptop usually uses (LP)(1.5&5Mo)

1 Like

Nope, mine uses H, as itā€™s a gaming one (i7-11800H)ā€¦

Afaik the PHY block is just ā€˜copiedā€™ inn, so you might look into the ME partition table and just exchange the area. But Iā€™m still wondering which versions you need?

(You might stitch an older CSME version with the two different PHYs and look if there are differences in the non-PHY areas to be completely sure. And make a backup before updating!)

Thanks, Iā€™ll try that.

Iā€™m currently running CSE ME 15.0.42.2384 (Consumer H, TGP/EBG-H B), PMC 150.2.10.1020 (Chipset SKU H), PCHC 15.0.0.1021 and PHY 15.107.135.5018 (SKU N).

The 15.0.45.2411 version which surfaced recently has the updated CSE ME (same variant and SKU), exactly the same PMC and PCHC versions, but a different PHY (12.14.215.2015 for SKU P). Everything (apart from the PHY) is correct for my laptop, only the PHY is not suitable (I need SKU N).

Last time I manually stitched an update for this laptop, I found separate binaries for the CSE ME, PMC, PCHC and PHY from the repositories linked here on Win-Raid, so it was just a matter of stitching them with Intel FIT and then applying the resulting binary with FWUpdLcl64. This time, however, I couldnā€™t find a separate CSE ME binary for 15.0.45.2411 Consumer H, hence my question if it was possible to isolate only the CSE ME part from the existing update published recently on Station Driversā€¦

?Did I miss something?

MEA version output

Thatā€™s exactly what I was seeking for! Somehow I missed it, I think Iā€™ve checked only the 15.0.45.2411.binā€¦

Of course itā€™s possible, just decompose the update using FIT and make the one you need.

14.1.70.2228_COR_H.zip (5.0 MB)
(According to MEA still not in the database?)

@Anton35
What you propose did work for the ME 15 discussed, but doesnā€™t work for this image (ME 14 Corporate H), I get this:

** WARNING **
FW image for FW Update was NOT created!
Reason: CSE FW from a decomposed IFWI image was used.
Action to fix the situation:
To have the FW Update image created, use the original Intel CSE image included in the ME FW Kit as released by Intel.

What am I missing?

@lfb6 I donā€™t quite understand what you want to do. Here is decomposed ME from update
14.1.70.2228_COR_H_A_PRD_EXTR-Y_B430BC4A.rar (4.1 MB)

1 Like

@Anton35 Thanks a lot!

I have to admit that I wasnā€™t aware that the ME Sub Partition extracted by FIT could be used (after modification explained by MEA) for ME rebuild!

SPS_Mehlow_05.01.04.913.zip (1.9 MB)

I have not read all the posts so dont know if this is mentioned or useful to anyone.
If so; plz feel free to delete this post.

Intel ME 11.x Firmware Images Unpacker:

ā€œā€¦ The researchers discovered an undocumented field called ā€œreserve-hapā€ and that HAP could be set to ā€œ1ā€ for true. Apparently, the NSA wanted to ensure the agency could close off any possible security risk by disabling Intel MEā€¦ā€

https://www.ptsecurity.com/ww-en/analytics/disabling-intel-me-11-via-undocumented-mode/

1 Like

Whatā€™s the last released MEi driver for the 2nd gen i5 2500k system
v11.0.0.1160 or v11.0.5.1189

@ SM03
last drivers MEi - 6x/7x : 11.0.5.1189 WHQL [28/03/2016]

1 Like

CSE ME 15.20.5.1682 Production Extracted Slim H EBG-H A
PMC 01.22.0.0 Production Independent H A CNP
PCHC 15.20.0.1001 Production Independent Unknown

CSME_15.20.zip (3.5 MB)

HP Desktop Workstation U60 Family

1 Like

https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/com.lenovo.ThinkPadN2IRN.firmware

How can I extract a ME12 image to create a clean flashable version for my HP laptop?

What do you mean?

• Creating an update file for your machine?
    There are no settings transfered in update files so if the details are identical (corp/cons, LP/H, versions of PHY PMC PCHC) an update file should normally work (but ā€¦)

• Creating a clean ME firmware region for you machine?
    You canā€™t, you need the original configuration of your machine from a firmware dump of your own machine and following the cleaning procedure linked in this subforum or you can extract a stock ME region from a complete stock firmware image (which I doubt Lenovo provides)

The first option. Iā€™ve been updating the ME firmware manually from time to time since HP is a bit slow at updating when it comes to consumer hardware. Plato has been providing us with Extracted firmware images (No 12.0.93.xxx yet) that need stitching through the Flash Image Tool from Intel. Can I directly flash the Lenovo ME firmware on my HP laptop? Many Corporate versions seem to include extra Thunderbolt, camera, and wifi modules that my laptop doesnā€™t support. Do consumer builds come with those as well?