Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (2-15)

I have a question - I’ve successfully updated my Intel ME firmware from 8.0.xx.xxxx to newest 8.1.52.1496 but in MEInfo I see yellow info “GBE Region does not exist” - dunno what is this and why it’s there - can someone explain?

My motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 rev. 1.1, BIOS 2.13…

Thanks!

It’s normal. Your motherboard is not using Intel’s Gigabit LAN so the Gbe region does not exist.

Updates since 03/12/2014:

Updated Intel MEI Drivers & Software from v10.0.30.1072 → v10.0.31.1000 for 1.5MB systems
Updated Intel MEI Drivers & Software from v10.0.30.1072 → v10.0.31.1000 for 5MB systems
Added at ME System Tools v9.5: 1.5MB and 5MB Intel(R) ME SW Only Release Notes v9.5.15.1730 documentation
Added at ME System Tools v9.0: 5MB FW Release Notes v9.0.14.1402 documentation
Added at ME System Tools v8.1: 5MB FW Release Notes v8.0.20.1513 documentation
Added at ME System Tools v8.1: 1.5MB HEDT FW Release Notes v8.1.20.1336 documentation
Added at ME System Tools v8.1: 1.5MB FW Release Notes v8.0.20.1513 documentation
Updated at ME System Tools v8.1: CCT(Windows) from v8.1.0.1265 → v8.1.20.1309
Updated at ME System Tools v8.1: 1.5MB FW Release Notes from v8.0.20.1513 → v8.1.30.1350
Updated at ME System Tools v8.1: 5MB FW Bring Up Guide from v8.0.13.1502 → v8.0.20.1513 documentation

There is a newer 1.5MB FW Release Notes 8 1 30 1350 documentation
http://pan.baidu.com/s/1bn4cpnL

Thanks iceman, based on 8.1.30.1350 version I found a full package and so:

Updated at ME System Tools v8.1: CCT(Windows) from v8.1.0.1265 → v8.1.20.1309
Updated at ME System Tools v8.1: 1.5MB FW Release Notes from v8.0.20.1513 → v8.1.30.1350

Hi, if someone could be interested this is my Intel ME 6 dump (6.0.31.1208) that should be newer than the one in the first topic :stuck_out_tongue:
VAIO VPCEB4C5E: Intel i5 480M + HM55 Chipset.
(Extracted with UEFITool from my SPI BIOS dump)

PS: I’m looking for a newer one. Anyone know if there’s a laptop with a more recent ME 6 FW? Thanks!

Intel_ME_6.0.31.1208.zip (539 KB)

Hey Jacksoft,

Thanks for the region file. Unfortunately it’s of no use. Up until 5-series systems (ME6), there was no way to create update images from installed firmware. The special update files (contain only code & localisations) were provided by Intel and only after ME7 did Intel add a -save command at FWUpdate which could create such files from a given system.

The only way to update 5-series firmware (ME6) is to take a dumped region, change settings with FITC according to specific system, replace at the BIOS image the old ME with the new edited one via a HEX editor, make sure the flash descriptor is unlocked and then flash the new BIOS image. However, for most systems that is not possible since the flash descriptor cannot be easily unlocked.

In your case though, you have an SPI programmer so you will effectively bypass any software locks like the flash descriptor. Thus, you can take a newer extracted ME region, change settings according to your own ME using FITC, make a new BIOS image and flash it with the Programmer.

The “latest” 1.5MB extracted region I have found is v6.1.20.1059. If you proceed (and since you have a programmer, I say why not?) keep in mind that you must change OEM/ICC settings with FITC first and that the new region is the same size as the extracted one as shown at UEFITool. The extracted image I have is around 1.5MB (17D000 hex size) whereas your extracted region sits at around 1.99MB (1FF000 hex size). I took my extracted region & added some FF padding so that the new firmware I’m giving you has the same size around 1.99MB (1FF000 hex size). Now, the only thing that you need to do is change OEM/ICC settings with FITC (after the new file is ready check size again, FITC will probably alter it), replace it manually or by using UEFITool and then flash.

Intel ME 1.5MB Firmware v6.1.20.1059.rar (503 KB)

Seems that UEFITool can also replace the ME Region! Since I have a full dump made with the SPI device maybe I can give a try. I’ll try to configure the new ME (thanks for the file!) by looking at mine and flash it.
I’ll tell you in this weeks if it works! :smiley:

EDIT: The Intel tool generate only bigger images. I’ve reopened the same images with the Intel Tool, taken the 916KB file and replaced via hex editor. UEFITool recognize it because the new version number. :smiley:
More updates in the next week :wink:

No, 916KB is very small. The size must be the same. You need to follow a certain guide on how to properly do that procedure. Follow this post (part of a bigger guide, it speaks of newer ME8 firmware but it should be fairly similar - don’t follow it completely but change settings according to your own ME):

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/548…html#post469078

Also, it’s preferable to do the replacement manually using a HEX editor otherwise make sure that the size is the same when replacing with UEFITool. I think it has a warning if you try to replace an old section with a new one of different size but just to cover all bases I decided to mention it.

There are two notes on me8. It may also help.
http://pan.baidu.com/s/1gdsztHh
http://pan.baidu.com/s/1njQQa

That’s strange, because in the folder created by the tool there’s only a file “ME Region.bin” that is 916KB for both files (my ME and the ME you attached). :o
Maybe is ok for Intel ME 6 for Mobile?

I’ll do more tests and let you know :slight_smile:

PS: I’ve replaced the 916KB by an Hex Editor.

EDIT: How can I save the ROM image as 1.5MB file? I need to “cut” from the 4MB saved file?

Did you follow the guide I gave you, by setting Flash Components to 0 etc as VirtualFred (author) says? If after you did all that you can’t figure out how to add padding just give me the new file and I can do it easily.

The actual size of the "1.5MB" firmware is less than 1MB truthfully, the rest is FF padding. FITC removes most of the FF padding automatically and that’s why you get a 916KB ME region file. So after you get this file, you need to add FF padding to the end and make the size 1FF000 which is the same as your extracted ME region.

Truthfully, you can indeed replace the 916KB file inside the BIOS since everything after that is just FF padding. But, the correct & safe method is to make sure that the new file has the same size as the old extracted one so that even if there are stray bits instead of padding from the old ME they can be replaced properly.

Already at v8.1 package, nothing new

Gotcha! :smiley:
With Flash Components = 0 it builds a 916KB image. I guess is ok.
I’ll let you know.

Thank you!!!

I upgraded to me7 updparam which reported an error in DOS, is not supported by the current system, whether it is because the updparam is used to support the AMT motherboard?

I do not understand what you mean

EDIT: I haven’t personally used that tool but I don’t see how it would not work. All other 7.1.30 tools work as expected on my HM65 platform. You may be trying to do something not supported by 1.5MB firmware.

I was also in the hm65 platform, updparam is what parameters? Failed to start in DOS, do not support the current operating system. Error code 1000

UpdParam is included with 5MB firmware as far as I know so it makes sense to not work on your system. Try the older v7.0.4.1197 version if you want.

UpdParam 7.0.4.1197.rar (168 KB)

There are 5 Series platform me6, firmware, notes (old) and QST tools \system tools, I don’t know if there is no use。
http://pan.baidu.com/s/1jMfme

Old v6.0.0.1184 pack leaked from Acer. Nothing new. At the start post, I have the versions of all utilities inside spoilers so once you download something you can check that and verify whether it’s something new or not.

What is QST tools? Why then is no me7