Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (2-15)

Indeed at ME 9.5 you can make update images very easily just by cutting after the first $MN2. It’s funny how Intel changes that from ME to ME. For example this is not the case with ME6 & ME8 from what I’ve tested. They used to have RSA protected headers in the beginning.

I thought that it has to do with Premium/Mainstream/No Emulation as well but changing that from FITC and rebuilding the whole image + ME did not change the $SKU identification. The $SKU probably determines the size (1.5MB or 5MB) instead of Premium/Mainstream/No Emulation etc. Maybe Apple has a special requested size other than 1.5MB or 5MB? Sounds silly even for Apple but you never know.

So I guess you have modern Apple computers (laptop, desktop) and that’s how you know this is the “latest” ME Apple ever distributed with their systems?

I don’t have other “MAC” ME images but if it helps I have v9.5.3.1520 1.5MB firmware which was probably the exact previous one before v9.5.3.1526. Using the aforementioned method (cutting) I also made the UPD file for quick comparisons. Can you make something out of it (attached file)?

MAC_ME_9.5.png

ME v9.5 MAC.rar (2.57 MB)

I think the SKU determines a subclass of the Premium/Mainstream, but I don’t really know.

No, I don’t have a Mac, but the firmware can be found here. You just have to digg deep with 7z until you get a *.scap file, which is the firmware used for updating.

Based on the image you provided, it seems that Apple/Intel removed some portion of code.

MACvsPC.png

MACvsPC2.png

Yes, I totally agree with you. There are definitely some cuts of code portions in my original me-dump. If you open it in hex-editor and compare the amount of empty ‘FF’-space with the saved dump of 9.5.41… provided here by Rimz, you will notice that there is much much more of empty space in mine dump.

And even MEinfo shows that there are only 2 firmware capabilities, while others usually have at least 3 or 4 of them:

Probably that’s why it won’t let me update this new firmware. It just doesn’t want to accept all of these unnecessary code-portions.

@All:

* Added at ME System Tools v10.0: Intel(R) ME 10 SW Only for 1.5MB and 5MB SKUs Release Notes v10.0.28.1006

I noticed that detail the first time you posted a picture of MEInfo but to my current knowledge this "list" can be adjusted easily via FITC to reflect the correct parameters and enabled features for each hardware & software configuration any given OEM desires. For more info look at my reply to lordkag below.

I didn’t know Apple has UEFI/BIOS updates somewhere, interesting. Still, I searched all of them with 7zip and indeed the only ME firmware that you can find (.raw files) is Desktop v9.0.5.1367 and Mobile v9.5.3.1526. The mobile v9.5.3.1526 firmware cannot be found anywhere whereas the v9.0.5.1367 one is everywhere. Unfortunately I could only find a 5MB region and not a 1.5MB in order to do an apples to apples (LOL) comparison between the MAC and Intel production firmware.

So then I decided to try and reproduce the MAC v9.5.3.1526 firmware using FITC and the exact previous Intel ME v9.5.3.1520. So I changed all FITC settings according to the MAC image and rebuilt a new v9.5.3.1520 ME with MAC configuration. It got me nowhere, the result still resembles the Intel image a lot more than the MAC one. My original thought was that if I disabled the same ME Features as seen at the MAC firmware, I would end up with a similar smaller file with some parts missing as lordkag and I previously observed. No matter what I tried though I couldn’t replicate the missing partitions of the MAC image.

I cannot look into this anymore as it seems only Intel & Apple can produce such firmware. However, if anyone wants to look into it further I have attached below all needed images (9.5.3.1520_1.5MB_RGN, 9.5.3.1520_1.5MB_RGN_MAC-TEST, 9.5.3.1526_1.5MB_RGN_MAC, 9.5.41.1904_1.5MB_RGN, 9.0.5.1367_1.5MB_RGN_MAC). Bundled together is also FITC v9.5.12.1676 which can also be found at the original topic of course.

Conclusion: At this point my best guess would be that indeed Apple has requested Intel to make a special ME firmware just for their machines and normal/production images cannot be used for updating Apple computers. If that’s indeed the case and since FITC does not seem capable to output a "MAC image" manually, all Apple users (the extremely small percentage that actually cares anyway) will have to rely on other MAC ME dumps or official UEFI updates in order to keep their ME somewhat updated.

Apple MAC ME Images.rar (4.53 MB)

Hi there! Today im flash my MSI H87-g43 mother board with bios and ME(1,5M) from Z87:

stat.JPG

it works, but I expected unlocking the CPU multiplier
Chipset is still recognized as the H87, although all that could have flashed… Can anyone clarify the situation? What do you think is at all possible to unlock the cpu multiplier?

You have an 8-series system, yet you flashed a v9.1 firmware which is for 9-series. I have clearly warned about that in the first post:

Now it might be a challenge to go back to v9.0 firmware. Run fptw64 -d test.bin to see if it reports any error. If it does you have a locked descriptor which makes things difficult.

EDIT: MSI appears to have an "M-Flash" bios updater which also updates the ME. My guess is that it uses the HMRFPO message to trigger a temporary flash descriptor unlock. In this case you can easily salvage your system to a working state again without BCLK and fan control issues. Use MSI’s M-Flash to restore your motherboards latest stock BIOS and afterwards check again what ME firmware you have.

New ME 9 Series FW version 9.1.20.1035

Extracted from a ASRock Z97X Fata1ity Mobo. Bios update version 1.90 <-Newest

The odd thing is this is a 1.5MB consumer system, But has the same version number
for the business version!?! Hope this helps someone figure some things out!

ME FW 9.1.20.1035.rar (1.01 MB)

We already have v9.1.25.1005 for 10 days now.

^And size is not right…

It’s an update image done with FWUpdLcl. Still, not useful for us.

Hello everyone!
I’ve read the first page but i have a little question…I know that I can install the newer versions but…with the chipset P67 (Sabertooth P67 B3 for the precision), what is the best MEI driver? What is recommended\suggested? Thanks!

@ killeragosta:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

For Intel 6-Series Chipset systems like yours we recommend to install just the Intel MEI driver v10.0.30.1054 WHQL from within the Device Manager.

Happy New Year!
Fernando

A question…

Why do you recommend to install only a driver? I’ve installed whole package 10.0.31.1000 (1.5MB) for my Z77A chipset and there is already included compatible 10.0.30.1054 WHQL MEI driver and also strange for me 10.0.30.1054 LMS driver - why you suggest to abandon this LMS driver and recommend to use only MEI driver? Can you explain it to me please?

Thanks!

The latest Intel MEI Drivers & Software packs have been developed by Intel primarily for the latest chipsets (8- and 9-Series). As a consequence only the newest Intel systems will fully benefit from the features, which are put into the latest Intel MEI software.
It is no problem to get the latest Intel MEI software v10.0.31.1000 installed onto systems with an Intel 6- or 7-series chipset, but the users should know, that any software, which is running in the background, may have a negative impact on the performance or stability of the system.
Due to the fact, that the Intel Management Engine is working fine with just the appropriate MEI driver and doesn’t really need additional MEI software, we do not really recommend to install the complete Intel MEI Drivers & Software Set for users with an Intel 6-Series Chipset system.
By the way: For the same reason we do not recommend to install the complete Intel RST Drivers & Software Set for users, who are running their SATA drives in AHCI mode.

For Intel 6-Series Chipset systems like yours we recommend to install just the Intel MEI driver v10.0.30.1054 WHQL from within the Device Manager.

Happy New Year!
Fernando

Thanks Fernando! This forum is really, really useful! Compliments!

The latest Intel MEI Drivers &amp; Software packs have been developed by Intel primarily for the latest chipsets (8- and 9-Series). As a consequence only the newest Intel systems will fully benefit from the features, which are put into the latest Intel MEI software.
It is no problem to get the latest Intel MEI software v10.0.31.1000 installed onto systems with an Intel 6- or 7-series chipset, but the users should know, that any software, which is running in the background, may have a negative impact on the performance or stability of the system.
Due to the fact, that the Intel Management Engine is working fine with just the appropriate MEI driver and doesn’t really need additional MEI software, we do not really recommend to install the complete Intel MEI Drivers &amp; Software Set for users with an Intel 6-Series Chipset system.
By the way: For the same reason we do not recommend to install the complete Intel RST Drivers &amp; Software Set for users, who are running their SATA drives in AHCI mode.

Excellent answer, thank you.

Happy New Year!

New Intel ME Firmware, Version 8.1.60.1561 (5Mo) on Station-Drivers

CHANGES IN THIS RELEASE
- Removed SSL 3.0 support from Intel ME firmware because SSL 3.0 was vulnerable to the Padding Oracle On Downgraded Legacy (POODLE) attack.

NEW! Intel ME8 Firmware 5MB from v8.1.57.1556 → v8.1.60.1561

On an Asus P8Z77 WS, Cant figure out which version i am supposed to use 1.5 or 5mb ? From first page : "Intel ME Firmware v6.x and up are divided into two SKUs: 1.5MB for Consumer Systems (Hxx, Mxx, Xxx, Zxx) and 5MB for Business Systems (Qxx, QMxx, QSxx). Not sure what this is ? Z77 ? or is there a sku line of information in the MEInfo tool ? Which brings me to another problem , the command prompt instructions dont work*, but i do get some info when i go to the extracted files and open MEInfo.bat** Probably doing something stupid in command prompt but i am not that familiar with it :confused:

*C:\Windows\System32>MEInfoWin
’MEInfoWin’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

**Intel(R) MEInfo Version: 8.1.56.1541
Copyright(C) 2005 - 2014, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

GBE Region does not exist.
Intel(R) ME code versions:

BIOS Version: 3505
MEBx Version: Not available
Gbe Version: Unknown
VendorID: 8086
PCH Version: 4
FW Version: 8.1.0.1248
UNS Version: 8.1.0.1252
LMS Version: 8.1.0.1252
MEI Driver Version: 8.1.0.1263
Wireless Hardware Version: Not Available
Wireless Driver Version: Not Available

FW Capabilities: 0x01101C40

@ JollyGreenJoint:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

All Z77 mainboards are consumer (1.5M) ones.

Happy New Year!
Fernando

@JollyGreenJoint

I’m sure you see Z77 as a “Zxx” board, right?