Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (2-15)

I made to dos usb boot disk,typed in the command,and the same error came up. Error 8714: Firmware update not initiated due to file open or read failure

This is probably system specific, maybe language. Is the firmware or fwupdlcl inside a folder with non-english characters? I suggest you place FWUpdLcl and me.bin at a short-path folder (C:\1 for example) and open a command prompt as administrator at that folder before typing FWUpdLcl -f me.bin on it.

C:\1>FWupdlcl64 -f me.bin

Intel (R) Firmware Update Utility Version: 9.1.2.1000
Copyright (C) 2007 - 2014, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Communication Mode: MEI
Checking firmware parameters…

Error 8714: Firmware update not initiated due to file open or read failure.I am having no luck,in dos or in windows this is what happens after running FWupdlcl64 -f me.bin.

Have you run MEInfo and MEManuf to verify that the firmware is currently in a good state? Attach two images with those results.

You could also try this tool that Asus uses, maybe it will help your case.

AsusMEUpdateTool.rar (1.91 MB)

Looks like I got it to update to work last night with the Lenovo Intel ME FW update 9.1.26.1006 4/22/2015 .It showes in the bios its 9.1.26.1006.I will ayyach the results of MEInfoWin64 and MEInfoWin64.

MEInfoWin64 Results.txt (2.7 KB)

MEManufWin64 Results.txt (2.69 KB)

Hi,

Which driver from the A1 section should I get ? I’m on a Gigabyte Z87-hd3, I used to have the v9.5.24.1790 but I don’t actually know if I should be installing the v10-11.x.x.x.x ones (since they are technically newer). Thank you for replying.

The Lenovo 9.1.26.1006 ME FW Update package has the same FWUpdate versions we currently have but with a new Digital Signature from 19/03/2015 (valid to 2017) instead of 19/03/2014 (expired). I won’t change the revision of 9.1 tools for that. It will be a silent update since it doesn’t affect the tools at all. Also attached below. Just replace. EFI was not included.

FWUpdate(Local-DOS): 9.1.2.1000 (19/03/2014 –> 19/03/2015)
FWUpdate(Local-Win): 9.1.2.1000 (19/03/2014 –> 19/03/2015)
FWUpdate(Local-Win64): 9.1.2.1000 (19/03/2014 –> 19/03/2015)

Alright, everything looks good at MEInfo and MEManuf. Now that everything is alright, can you also attach an update image of 9.1.26.1006? You need FWUpdLcl -save command.

Hello, you can use the latest v10 driver (10.0.30.1054) or the v11 ones if you want. For now I say go with the 10.0.30.1054 driver.

FWUpdate v9.1.2.1000 (19-03-2015).rar (332 KB)

This is what I get when I run ME Analyzer :

me analyzer run.jpg

Can anyone confirm whether I should update it with this one “Intel ME 9.0 Consumer 1.5MB Firmware v9.0.31.1487” ? cuz english isn’t my native language but I still wanna ask just to make sure :slight_smile:

Updates 13/05/2015:

Updated at ME System Tools v8.1 r3: MEBx Users Guide AMT8.0 from v1.0 (12/2011) –> v1.1 (09/2012)
Updated at ME System Tools v6.x r3: MEBx Users Guide AMT6.0 from v1.1 (11/2009) –> v1.2 (02/2010)
Added at ME System Tools v5.x r2: MEBx Users Guide AMT5.0 v1.1 (02/2009)
Added at ME System Tools v4.x r2: Intel ME UserGuide AMT4.0 v1.4 (09/2008)
Added at ME System Tools v4.x r2: MEBx Montevina Platform Users Guide v1.0 (05/2008)

Sources:

Note: Neither of those "updates" are worthy of your re-downloading a package. They are not really important.

Yes, you can update to the latest 1.5MB v9.0 firmware which is v9.0.31.1487. Do not update to v9.1 firmware, only to the latest v9.0.

Here is a image of 9.1.26.1006 done with FWUpdLcl -save command.

OLD.rar (1.1 MB)

I see one problem in using the package offered by a manufacturer, specifically the .bat: it usually comes with an -oemid argument. Not sure how important it is, but I would avoid it. The latest 9.1.x from Lenovo also has it.

Thank you NIK1 for the UPD ME9.1 image.

@ Lordkag:

It’s ok in this case. When ME Analyzer was released I wrote a small explanation of what OEMID does at it’s thread because it can detect and report it.

Capture.PNG

LenovoUUID.PNG

Basically it’s stored at the SPI image and this argument is there because on Lenovo machines you wouldn’t be able to update the ME firmware without it.

I thought of that as well today when NIK1 told me that he used the Lenovo package but to be absolutely certain I checked his MEInfo report. The FWUpdate UUID is empty as it should.

Capture2.PNG

Alright, I can’t seem to make either MEInfo/MEManuf or FWUpdate work, the prompt command says “is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file” am I missing something?

cmdd.jpg

You are using the commands in the wrong way. You need to download both the firmware image and the v9.0 updater tool called FWUpdate. Copy the firmware at the Local-Win64 folder of FWUpdate if you have an x64 operating system and rename it to me.bin to make your life easier. You then need to open a command prompt at that folder and type FWUpdLcl64 -f me.bin

So I upgraded to the latest version 9.5.45.1922 LP on my acer v7 582pg and I got erratic behavior. I am trying to downgrade but it keeps saying the image provided is not support by the platform. I tried different versions including the one from the manufacturer. I am trying to downgrade to 1.5mb 9.5.35.xxx and 9.5.1.xxx( from acer) but still no luck.

What do you mean erratic behavior? What firmware did you have before? What tools did you download? What version of those said tools? Run MEInfo -verbose and MEManuf -verbose and show two pictures of the results.

You cannot downgrade to anything lower than 9.5.45 via FWUpdate because it has VCN 9 whereas even 9.5.41 had 8. Let’s not jump into conclusions though, first provide the previously asked information.

Looks quite good to me, doesn’t it?

done.jpg

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

After my computer is turn off over night it freezes on every first attempt to turn it on. The extracting speed of a zip file is extremely slow. The computer freezes every time after turn on from standby - I fixed this when I reflash the bios.

Forgot what version I got before. I did a backup then deleted it accidentally. I think it was 9.5.30.xxx or 9.5.35.xxx, but I could completely be wrong because the one on acer site shows 9.5.1.xxx.

I the version of the tools I used is the one just before the current version on the OP. I did all this around 3-4 weeks ago.

I says pass when I run MEManuf using the latest version.

Yes, reboot.

Then run MEInfoWin64, verify that the latest firmware and driver is show. Verify that it doesn’t show any red errors.
Then run MEManufWin64, it should report MEManuf Test Passed

MEInfo shows that the ME is operational and MEManuf did not report anything wrong with it. The problem must lie someplace else. Did you flash a modded BIOS or similar? Most probably a software/operating system issue. It definitely looks like the latter.

I updated my post with more images.

No, I did not update any mod bios. The bios is lock. I am not sure what is going on. Right after I updated to the latest ME firmware my computer freezes in desktop after several restarts I thought it was bricked but it fixed itself.