Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (2-15)

What is the recommended way of updating the Intel MEI drivers? Just use Device Manager and never install the whole driver package?

@ kevindd992002:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

If you just want to update the Intel MEI driver, you should do it manually from within the Device Manager (by the way: this is the method I prefer).
If you want to additionally install/update the "Intel(R) Active Management Technology - SOL" driver or software like the "Intel Control Center", you should run the installer of the complete package.

Enjoy the Forum!
Fernando

Thanks! Installing the software isnā€™t too process intensive, right? Or does the ā€œIntel(R) Active Management Technology - SOLā€ have any use and is it needed?

Also, what is the recommended way to update the ME firmware of my board to v9.0.0.1287 ?

My Z77 system does not install the SOL driver, because the related device is missing.
AFAIK only actual Intel chipsets from 8-Series up do support this "Active Management Technology".

You can find a guide within the start post of >this< thread.

My Z77 system does not install the SOL driver, because the related device is missing.
AFAIK only actual Intel chipsets from 8-Series up do support this "Active Management Technology".

You can find a guide within the start post of >this< thread.

Ok. I did check which programs are installed in my computer right now (the v10 driver package is currently installed) and I noticed that in my uninstall programs list I have the "Mangement Engine Components" and something about Firmwar Recovery Agent, do you know about that?

Thanks for the guide, Iā€™ll check it.

And btw, when I updated my boardā€™s BIOS today it also updated the ME firm from v7 to v8 and when I booted into Windows, it detected additional ACPI fan entries in device manager and it installed them accordingly. Do I need to re-install any other software for these?

It is an application file named UpdateAgent-setup.msi, which is within the "Firmware Recovery Agent" folder of the extracted Intel ME package. I never installed it, but I suspect, that - if being installed - it should be available at "Computer Management" > "Services and Applications" > "Services".
EDIT:

As long as the Device Manager doesnā€™t show any yellow marks, there is nothing to install additionally.
If you want to get an overview of your currently running Intel ME components (driver, firmware etc.), you should run the MEInfo tool. For details look >here<.

It is an application file named UpdateAgent-setup.msi, which is within the "Firmware Recovery Agent" folder of the extracted Intel ME package. I never installed it, but I suspect, that - if being installed - it should be available at "Computer Management" > "Services and Applications" > "Services".
EDIT:

As long as the Device Manager doesnā€™t show any yellow marks, there is nothing to install additionally.
If you want to get an overview of your currently running Intel ME components (driver, firmware etc.), you should run the MEInfo tool. For details look >here<.

Thanks. Iā€™ve just updated my ME firmware and now am trying to install the driver package. Where can I download the driver package? The one in this thread is just the driver itself and the ones in station-driver are newer driver packages which I donā€™t think has the most compatible HECI driver in them.

The newest all-in-one driver and software package for ME8 Firmware systems (inclusive the HECI driver v9.0.0.1287) is v8.1.40.1416 dated 10/14/2013. You can find the just updated link within the start post of this thread,

The newest all-in-one driver and software package for ME8 Firmware systems (inclusive the HECI driver v9.0.0.1287) is v8.1.40.1416 dated 10/14/2013. You can find the just updated link within the start post of this thread,

Thanks. But do you recommened installing a driver package that has the HECI driver v9.0.0.1287 or install a newer driver package and just go ahead and downgrade/upgrade the HECI driver to v9.0.0.1287? I mean, do they have to be in partners?

To be honest I would not install any AIO Intel ME drivers and software package. There are enough MS Services working in the backgound and decrease the performance of the system.

I donā€™t know, because I have never tried what you are thinking about.

To be honest I would not install any AIO Intel ME drivers and software package. There are enough MS Services working in the backgound and decrease the performance of the system.

I donā€™t know, because I have never tried what you are thinking about.

Ok, I understand. Thanks for the input as always.

Update of the thread opener

Today I have updated the start post of this thread.

Changelog:

• updated: Intel ME 9.5 Firmware Update for 1.5MB (new Firmware: v9.5.30.1808)
  • updated: Intel ME 9.5 Firmware Update for 5MB (new Firmware: v9.5.30.1808)

Credits go to Station-Drivers for the source files.

Update of the thread opener

Today I have updated again the start post of this thread.

Changelog:

• updated: Intel ME 8 Firmware Update for 5MB (new Firmware: v8.1.52.1496)

Credits go to Station-Drivers for the source files.

any latest ime firmware for 6 series? i mean can i use intel ME 9.5 Firmware Update for 1.5MB for 6 series? thanks

No, the ME 9.5 Firmware is only suitable for some 8-Series chipset systems (Intel Lynx Point chipset for Haswell-ULT CPU, Mobile and NUC).
Please hve a look into the start post of this thread. There you can find the latest ME 7 Firmware for 6-Series chipset systems. Some 6-Series chipset systems may be upgradable to ME 8, but I am not sure about that.

May someone suggest a manual way to completely remove the MEI drivers? It seems that I canā€™t uninstall version 10 because of an error. Now installing/uninstalling version 9 gives me an errorā€¦

Which chipset has your system and which MEI driver is currently installed?
Have you already tried to replace the MEI driver by another previously used driver? This is the procedure: Open the Device Manager > right click onto the "Intel(R) Management Engine Interface" > "Update driver software" > "Browse my computer ā€¦" > "Let me pick ā€¦" > check the option "Show compatible hardware". Then you should have the option to change the MEI driver.

Z77; youā€™re right, I meant how to remove the full package (included LMS etc.) even from installed programs, not just to update/downgrade the driversā€¦

If you have installed the complete Intel ME software package, you should be able to uninstall it from within the Control Panel > "Add/remove Programs".