Intel cpu turbo power limits

Hi,

long story short, my laptop is now equipped with an intel i7-2860QM. my previous cpu was i7-2630QM. (full story)
laptop k53sj.

apparently, there s an OEM lock/hw limit, that prevents the cpu from running at 3.0Ghz or more turbo freqs.

my bios is fully unlocked.

what is working:

single core turbo freqs: all of them, yeah up to 3.5Ghz :smiley:
2-core turbo freqs: ok, 3.2Ghz

what is not working:
3/4 -core turbo freqs: BD-PROCHOT alert, all the cores are locked to 800Mhz

i googled a lot and…i found almost nothing Lol, msr bits, turbo ratios, voltages, watts etc…

my first idea was to try to lower the multiplier to lock the cpu at 2.9Ghz turbo…no idea

then i found about the turbo ratios (1-core ratio, 2-core ratio, etc…) but these options are placeholder in my bios, maybe they are only available on gaming laptops…no way (maybe msr bits??? but which one?)

now…i looked for a laptop with the same cpu and i found a sony vaio with an AMI bios. Luckily my pc and the vaio share the same BIOS menu, with different values of course.
looking for an hint in that bios, i found that it is using custom turbo power limit values, so i checked mine and replaced my zeroes (aka AUTO) with the ones from the vaio.

these are the options:

Long Term Power Limit
Long Term Time Window (also known as Turbo time limit)
Short Term Power Limit

I don t know anything about these settings, but they seem to be the holy grail.
this is even better than my original idea because a turbo lock means that 2.9Ghz is the max freq for every state or core count, and i would lose performances when 1 or 2 cores are active (see what s working)

test #1 - 35, 32, 44 respectively (vaio default). it was not good because my PwrLimit is 45W, but the result was PwrLimit 35W, cpu Pwr 34-36W, 2.60-2.70Ghz 4-core turbo
some tests later…
test #n - 45, 32, 46. it seems these are the best settings for me, lower is fine, greater means PROCHOT alert. result: PwrLimit 45W, cpu Pwr 44-45W, 2.80-2.90Ghz 4-core turbo

i m using a little utility, HeavyLoad for windows, to stress my cpu.

i can t figure out why when i open heavyLoad and i run the test the fps are low,but if i open throttleStop, stock settings, no changes, it loads my bios settings, the fps go back to normal.
windows is set to high perfs

if i reboot and run the test again, fps are low again.

first of all i would like to know if these settings can harm my pc, and why the test runs slow when throttleStop is not running.

please let me know if you need some screens or vids or other datas

my throttleStop config is attached

Thanks

ThrottleStop.txt (1.2 KB)

@kyl - Put better cooling in your laptop. Add a copper shim connected to the main heatsink, find room, make it fit etc. That will help a lot without BIOS mod

Yes, it can hurt your laptop, watch the temps while you are loading it and you’ll see it’s overheating, to reach PROCHOT temp range is very hot!

Did you mess with any of these? It’s really hot already, but you could play around and melt if you wanted?

Its-HOT-In-Here.png

See also this thread - http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/…haswell.766743/