Intel EFI RAID/VMD BIOS Modules

@Pacman

No raidorom.bin 17.8.0.4414 along with this efi file???

@vmanuelgm
Obviously the Intel RAID OROM v17.8.0.4414 is not yet available. Otherwise Pacman would have posted it into >this< thread.
By the way: The ā€œLegacy modeā€ Option ROMs will not be used by the big majority of users with a modern Intel chipset system. Anyway I expect, that Intel will stop the development of such outdated sort of BIOS modules in the near future.

@Fernando
Thanks for your kind reply.
I just wanna update the modules inbios to match versions. But u are right, some modules are obsolete!!!
:wink:

As long as no Intel v17.8 series RST drivers are available, it doesnā€™t make much sense to update the Intel RAID BIOS modules to a version of the v17.8 development branch.
The Intel RST drivers are regarding the BIOS RAID modules backwards compatible, but you may run into a problem, if the in-use RAID driver belongs to a lower development branch than the related Intel RAID BIOS module.

@Fernando
They should be offering the new 17.8 drivers soonā€¦

@Fernando ,

new RST_17.8.0.4438_RaidDriver found, have good luck.

RST_17.8.0.4438_RaidDriver.efi.zip (103 KB)

@all:
Update of the start post
Changelog:

• new: ā€œpureā€ Intel RST EFI ā€œRaidDriverā€ v17.8.0.4434 (without header)

Note:
Thanks to morpheus67 for the source file.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando
Hello Fernando, as usual iā€™ve integrated latest Intel RST RaidDriver V.17.8.0.4434 into ASRock Z170 OC Formula and they work.

Cheers,
KK

@killkernel :
What do you mean with "they work" and how did you realize it, that they work?
Do you have an Intel RAID array within your system at all? Only users of such configuration can evaluate the function and the advantages/disadvantages of a specific BIOS RAID module.
By the way - an update of a certain BIOS module is only useful, if the newer BIOS module works better (in combnation with a certain Intel RAID driver) than the previous one.

@Fernando
Hi Fernando, as you said, I have a RAID 0 of 2 x Samsung 840 Pro of 256GB managed by the Intel controller of my ASRock Z170 OC formula, but letā€™s move to the numbers provided by Anvilā€™s Storage test in screenshots:

BIOS 7.60 - OROM V.17.5.3.4203

BIOS 7.60 - OROM V.17.8.0.4434

BIOS 7.60 - OROM V.17.8.0.4460

The BIOS settings are the same (CPU OC, RAM frequency, voltages and optimizations) as well as the installed IRST driver, so the performance difference comes exclusively from the different OROM.
Iā€™ll wait the release of the IRST V.17.8 driver and iā€™ll do again the Anvilā€™s Storage test to see if the new driver version paired with same OROM branch produce slightly better results.

EDIT of 14/01/2020:

Installed newest IRST V.17.8.0.1065 and executed Anvilā€™s Storage test

Cheers,

KK

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded quoted post and blank lines removed (to save space)

@Fernando

Intel RST EFI "RaidDriver" v17.8.0.4460

Intel RST RAID 17.8.0.4460.zip (101 KB)

Update of the start post
Changelog:

• new: ā€œpureā€ Intel RST EFI ā€œRaidDriverā€ v17.8.0.4460 (without header)

Note:
Thanks to Pacman for the source file.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello guys, as expected (because it is a minor internal build update) this OROM V.17.8.0.4460 is working when injected into Z170 motherboardā€™s BIOS.
At same exact conditions iā€™ve tested with Anvilā€™s Storage test my RAID 0 of Samsung 840 Pro and iā€™ve updated with results the post #790.
Within some days iā€™ll substitute the two Samsung 840 Pro with two Samsung PM961 and iā€™ll test again the configuration.

Cheers,

KK

Installed newest IRST V.17.8.0.1065 and executed Anvilā€™s Storage test:

As theoretically Intel suggests, pairing OROM and IRST development branch version produces the best performances and this is the case!

For major completeness iā€™ve updated the post #790.

Cheers,

KK

@killkernel :
Thanks for doing your benchmark comparison tests and publishing their results.
I am surprised, that you were able to get the Intel RST RAID driver v17.8.0.1065 installed without any problem. Did you force the installation? According to the related INF file the internal DeviceID of the Intel 100-Series Chipset RAID Controller is not supported by the v17.8 series driver.

@Fernando

Hello Fernando, if with ā€œforce installationā€ you mean the manual installation or the classical ā€œhave a diskā€ function the answer is yes because tendentially i didnā€™t install drivers with setup routinesā€¦
Iā€™ve used the IRST package posted on Station-Drivers (http://www.station-drivers.com/index.phpā€¦id=4278&lang=en).

Cheers,

KK

@Fernando

Intel RST EFI "RaidDriver" v17.8.0.4507

Intel RST RAID 17.8.0.4507.zip (102 KB)

I have updated my list of tested OROM and EFI SATA modules on my Gigabyte Z170 (tested running 4 x SSDā€™s in RAID0) to this post.

All tests completed using modules with the header removed from the EFI module.

@all:
Update of the start post
Changelog:

• new: ā€œpureā€ Intel RST EFI ā€œRaidDriverā€ v17.8.0.4507 (without header)

Note: Thanks to Pacman for the source file.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I tried to use this with UBU, got the file (tried both with v17.7 and v17.8), renamed it and put it in Files\intel\RSTe_VROC
The file seems to be detected:

[Current version]
EFI Intel RST for SATA - 16.7.0.3513
OROM Intel RST for SATA - 17.8.0.4507
OROM Intel RSTe for SATA - 3.5.0.1005

[Available version]
EFI Intel RST for SATA - 17.7.0.4404

But then i hit Replace (1) and it looks like it does nothing:
Choice:1
Press a button to continue . . .
And it loop back:

Disk Controller
[Current version]
EFI Intel RST for SATA - 16.7.0.3513
OROM Intel RST for SATA - 17.8.0.4507
OROM Intel RSTe for SATA - 3.5.0.1005

[Available version]
EFI Intel RST for SATA - 17.7.0.4404

Any idea of what can be the issue?

EDIT by Fernando: Put the UBU output into ā€œspoilersā€ (to save space)