Intel Raid on MSI Z90-A-PRO and Windows Server

Just trying to get Windows server (2016 or 2019) installed on an MSI z590-A-PRO running simple RAID 1. Drive can’t be seen within manufacturer drivers, Intel RST drivers or Intel VROC drivers. Scratching head here. Any suggestions or help would be really appreciated.

@StephenB
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
According to MSI your specific mainboard has been designed just for the Windows Operating Systems Win10 x64 or Win11 x64 (no other OS).
Questions:
1. Is the Intel RAID1 array shown as being "healthy" within the BIOS (look into the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" section)?
2. Which version has the in-use Intel RaidDriver/RAID Utility (you can find it within the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" BIOS section)?
3. Is the RAID array your bootable system drive or is it used just for storage purposes?
4. If you are able or were able to boot into the OS, which are the HardwareIDs of the Intel RAID Controller (look into the "Storage Controllers" section of the Device Manager)?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hey, thank you so much for such a quick response. That was amazing.

Some added Info
1. I messed up by not enabling RST PCIe Storage Remapping (didn’t know I had to until I read the MSI docs) - my bad
2. MSI drivers appear to work for WinServer 2019 (though not preferred as no GUI to monitor the Raid Health - only available with Intel RST under Windows 2016). Just installing now to see what happens.

To answer your questions
1. Yes, Raid drivers all setup within BIOS
2. MSI Driver version, which at least is recognizing drivers under Win2019 (not Win2016) has version 18.36.1.1016
3. Raid is for Boot, and another for Storage. Both Raid 1
4. Still trying to get it to boot. First attempt didn’t boot as it had a driver issue (not that surprising).

Assumption
1. If I can’t get this to work, I assume I can just pick up a different Raid Controller (I assume). Any suggestions as to Make / Model for a low usage server?

@StephenB

It doesn’t make much sense for me to create 2 RAID1 Arrays. Preferable would be a fast single SSD as system drive and an Intel RAID1 Array for storage purposes.

IHas your mainboard more than 1 Intel RAID Controller?

I have Boot on SSD drives, data on HDD. Configuration provides lots of protection.

Sadly no other Controller on the MSI Z590-A-Pro.

Any particular Manufacturer you recommend for a Raid controller?

@StephenB

I personally can not recommend any, because I have never used a RAID Controller Card, but if you are searching for it, you may look >here<.

RST drivers probably won’t install under Windows server. Why did you choose a Z590 board and a server OS?

Can you achieve your goals with a normal Windows installation? Or consider buying a server board with RSTe (with NVME Raid 1 option), that possibly will be cheaper than buying a reliable Raid card…