Intel RST AHCI drivers Z97 Error ID:10

Hi,

I recently moved from Windows 8.1 to 10, so I run a few tests with iRST drivers in AHCI mode and I found the following Event Messages (the first one is an error message):

EnhancedStorage-EhStorTcgDrv
Event ID 10
A TCG Command has returned an error.
Desc: AuthenticateSession
Param1: 0x1
Param2: 0x60000001C
Param3: 0x900000006
Param4: 0x0

Event ID 12
A TCG Silo has returned the capabilities value of 0x7.

Event ID 100
The following informational event has occurred (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0).
DeviceStart

This happens with versions:
14.5.0.1081 (MSI recommended driver for Windows 10)

The system seems to run without problems with both of these versions.
Is there any reason to be concerned with this error message?

With version 13.1.0.1058 (MSI recommended driver for Windows 8.1) none of these messages are logged.

My system
64-bit Windows 10
CPU: Core i 7 4790K
Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPower
System Hard Drive: Crucial M500 120GB M.2 (M.2 SATA)

Drivers
Intel Chipset Driver 10.1.1.38
Intel Management Engine 11.7.0.1057
Intel Rapid Storage Technology v13.1.0.1058

Cheers,
Rui

@m2840
Microsoft’s latest Operating Systems Win10/11 obviously don’t work properly with some old Intel storage drivers. On the other hand Intel has no interest to customize their old drivers for the usage with a modern Windows Operating System from Win10 up.
My advice: Replace the currently in-use Intel AHCI driver by the generic MS AHCI driver named storahci.sys, which a very good in-the-box driver of Win10/11.
It can easily be done by running the Device Manager, expanding the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” section, doing a right-click onto the listed AHCI Controller and choosing the options “Update driver” > “Browse my computer…” > “Let me pick…”. The “Standard SATA AHCI Controller” should now be listed within the box named “Show compatible hardware”. Click onto it and press the “Next” button. After the next reboot the OS will use the generic MS AHCI driver, which is - despite the shown date - much newer than the old Intel drivers for old Intel chipsets.

1 Like

Fernando,

Thank you for your reply.

The drive version 13.1.0.1058, in spite of being for 8.1, works well with Windows 10 and don’t give any errors.

I will test the generic MS AHCI, but I suspect Intel’s 13.1.0.1058 gives better performance.

Cheers

Hi,

I run Anvil Storage Utilities to test the SSD with the iRST versions above and with MS AHCI driver.
As I expected, the best results were with 13.1.0.1058

I installed iRST with the software. Checked that LPM was enabled, and then uninstalled the software.
What happens if I change the AHCI Link Power Management settings in Power Options?
What is the best option for energy saving and low temperatures?
HIPM
DIPM
HIPM+DIPM
HIPM+DIPM+DEVSLP

Changing the setting in Power Options does modifies the Registry parameter, but I’m unsure if the system accepts the new LPM status.

AIDA64 says about my SSD:
APST: Enabled
DIPM: Supported, Enabled
DEVSLP: Supported
HIPM: Supported

Thanks

This should only be done with Intel chipset systems, whose Intel SATA Controller is running in RAID mode. As long as your SATA drives are running in AHCI mode, the RST Software is neither required nor useful, but is active in the background and may decrease the performance of the in-use storage driver.
By the way - the AHCI driver itself (the *.sys file) has no direct impact on the Power Management.
If you want to boost the performance a little bit, you should run the Device Manager, expand the “Disks” section and enable both “Policies” setting options of the your listed storage disk drives.