"Intel RST Premium" - new Storage Controller BIOS option

So after doing some research, I am still unsure of the actual benefits for my system . I have a dell 7577 that gives me the option to use IntelRST from the bios, which i understand is Raid setup. In my laptop I have a samsung PM961 (which i use as my system drive ) 512gb and a crucial MX300 (which i use with momentum cache enabled from executive storage manager) 512gb as an extra drive. I currently have my setup as AHCI and have installed samsungs NVME drivers, But as I like to tinker around I have found trouble in understanding how installing my system with the intelRST option vs AHCI benefits the system ? What benefits can i expect ? does this degrade my NVMe drive over time ? Does it improve anything ? I apologize if this question has been asked before, but i just couldnt find something similair.

EDIT by Fernando: Thread title customized

@mgherghina :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

The “Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology” BIOS option is only available, if you have previously set the SATA mode of the on-board Intel SATA Controller to “RAID” and running your system in UEFI mode. It gives you the opportunity to create an Intel RAID array by using the Inte RAID Utility, which is managed by the EFI BIOS module named “SataDriver” resp. “RaidDriver” (different names for the same module).
The creation of an Intel RAID array requires at least 2 HDDs/SSDs, which are using the same Storage Controller and the same data transfer protocol. As a consequence you will not be able to create an Intel RAID array with an M.2 port connected NVMe SSD like the Samsung PM961 and a SATA connected SSD like the Crucial MX300.
Addtional questions:
1. what do you mean with “Premium RST” and
2. what do you want (a better performance or an enhanced data security)?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Intel premium rst is a bios option I have in regards to my sata option. It’s that or ahci. I would like to get better performance. Possibly better battery as well.

You should look into your PC manual or ask Dell regarding the option “Premium RST”. Since it seems to concern just the on-bord Intel SATA Controller, it has no effect on your NVMe SSD.

so how come companies like dell turn this option on as default when shipping their laptop over ? They say that its a performance increase , which confuses me because i though it was just another sata controller thats improved over Microsofts AHCI controller. So will having Intel Premium RST on and integrating the RST drivers in a clean windows installation provide any performance improvements over the standard AHCI mode ?

I also remember a while ago on my lenovo laptop (y520) i installed my NVme drive and i couldnt get the samsung NVMe drivers to install with RST turned on from the bios. Whats the deal with that ? Whats more efficient for my system to use ?

Since I don’t have a Dell system with a “Premium RST” option, I don’t know it. You will have to test it yourself.
Maybe the “Premium RST” option can be used, if you have 2 NVMe SSDs and want to create an Intel RAID0 array with them both as members. In this case you have to load an Intel RST(e) RAID driver from the v15 platform instead of the generic MS or Samsung NVMe driver.

Premium RST is very likely the Intel Optane offering. My UEFI has a long similar named option for the Optane portion.
You will definitely be better off with AHCI for anything single drive based on SSD/NVME/HDD.

The only real speed gain is RAID 0 with 2 identical drives on same controller which doubles the read/write speeds but you dont have any parity.

Just got lenovo laptop for wipe and reinstall windows 10 and it is set to RST premium … looks like something new ? Maybe it manages to run NVMe’s in RAID 0 ? :slight_smile:

Hello guys
Anybody can join and discus about this ‘‘new stuff feature’’ from Intel ?
I found it in Lenovo ideapad 320S
Laptop has 128GB NVMe SSD Liteon CA1-8D128
Wiped laptop and windows 10 USB installation couldn’t find SSD …
Had to manually download latest RST drivers from intel and inject it to clean installation
Now windows runs under RST Premium
But what is the difference btw AHCI and this ?

Thnx

EDIT by Fernando: This post has been moved by me into this already existing thread (to avoid 2 different threads about the same topic).

@Peto_Pedro :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

All Intel RST drivers from v15.7 series up are able to fully support SSDs, which are connected to an Intel SATA port or a PCIe slot of a modern Intel chipset. This new generation of Intel RST AHCI/RAID Controllers is named “Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller”. You can find the name within the iaAHCIC.inf resp. iaStorAC.inf files of the related new Intel RST drivers.

It would be interesting to know, where the related AHCI/RAID Controller is now listed and which are the HardwareIDs.
Please run the Device Manager, expand the sections “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” and “Storage Controllers”, look for listed “Intel Controllers” and post us the exact names and within which section you found them.
You can get the information about the HardwareIDs, when you do a right-click onto the Controller and choose the options “Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > “HardwareIDs”. Please post them as well.

“AHCI” is a standard data transfer protocol, whereas “Intel RST Premium” is just a name given by Intel to their new generation of Intel Chipset SATA and PCIe Storage Controllers. These Controllers are able to manage the AHCI and NVMe protocol and to create and manage Intel SATA/PCIe RAID Arrays.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)