Intel RST Recovery Drive

Hi, I wonder if someone has had a similar situation.

I have an Asus P8Z77-V system and I have Samsung 1TB 850 EVO as a single drive. It works fine, but I was looking to add a second 1TB drive as an Intel On Request Recovery Disk.

I managed to set it up OK, and it synced the 2 disks fine and then the recovery drive disconnects and goes offline as it should. I can start an On Request Update and it syncs just the changes on the primary disk to the Recovery Disk which only takes some seconds.

The problem is, when the computer is shut down and next restarted, it performs a full sync to the Recovery Drive from 0% when I do an On Request Update.

I have tried with another 1TB SSD and a 1TB HGST spinning disk as the Recovery Disk, and it is the same situation. I tried with hot plug enabled and disabled in BIOS.

The motherboard has the latest BIOS 2104, Controllers set to RAID, and I am running Win10 64 Pro and RST v 15.5.2.1054 that I updated from 14.8.0.1042 after reading this site.

I was thinking about trying a modded BIOS that has an updated Intel RAID component but I have not done this before, and don’t know if it will help any with what I am trying to do.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

@Bobby2019 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Which Intel RAID ROM version is currently within your mainboard BIOS and what was the reason to use the (outdated) Intel® Rapid Recover Technology instead of creating just a “normal” Intel RAID1 array?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Fernando

The BIOS is standard Asus and on the last version released which is v 2104 but I don’t know how to check the RAID ROM version specifically.

I prefer to use Rapid Recover as opposed to RAID 1, because if there is a virus or crypto virus it will infect both disks under RAID1, so I like the fact that the recover disk disconnects after being synced and is not accessible by any malicious software when in this state.

I have other backup procedures that I do, and I have Macrium disk images held on portable disks, so this is just a convenient way to quickly sync my primary drive to the recovery drive when I choose to do so.

Thanks

You just have to press CRTL+I while booting and you will get access to the Intel RAID Utility showing the version of the Intel RST RAID ROM BIOS module.

Hi Fernando

I just tried Ctrl+i many times but I don’t get the RAID ROM screen. I tried warm and cold boot.
I checked fast boot is disabled in BIOS and tried both “Force BIOS” and “Keep Current” options.
I tried with both disks connected and no disks connected. I see no RAID ROM splash screen and no response from Ctrl+i, just straight to Windows.
I have not gone into the RAID ROM via Ctrl+i for years, I just use RST software from Windows.
I could reflash BIOS with same 2104 BIOS to see if it reinstates RAID ROM access. The ROM is operational as I can see RAID details in Windows via RST software.
I would think that the RAID ROM version is standard for all official Asus BIOS v 2104, so have you any suggestion what to do assuming it is standard Asus 2104 BIOS.

Thanks

@Bobby2019 :
I just have downloaded the latest BIOS for your ASUS mainboard and did a check by using the UBU tool (look >here<).
Here is the result:

Intel RAID ROM.png

So I recommend to either update the in-use Intel RAID BIOS module(s) to the v13.1 series or to “downgrade” the in-use Intel RAID driver version.

Hi Fernando
Many thanks for doing that, its much appreciated.

What do you think will be the best option over updating RAID BIOS or downgrading RAID driver. I know driver will be more straightforward to do, but if there is benefit I will do either.
Will I be able to use a much more recent RST software with v13.1 RAID ROM, or is there any feature or performance benefit to either method?

I have updated BIOSs before, but I have never updated only a BIOS component before such as in this case. Is there a guide on how to inject just the RAID ROM update into my BIOS, or is there a complete modded BIOS to completely replace my stock version?

Thanks again

Edit, I use the UBU tool it seems. I will read the link you provided :o)

Just a quick update.
I reflashed the same v.2104 BIOS that was already on my system, and it is now all working as it should.
The RAID ROM interface reappeared on boot and after synching the primary SSD to a 1TB spinning disk again, I can now do an On Request update without issue.

Thanks for taking the time to assist.
Danke schön

Probably was "Fast Boot" setting stopping you from being able to enter Control+I