Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (latest: v20.1.0.1015/ v9.0.0.1836)

I have just added the extracted original 32/64bit Intel RST Software Sets v13.2.4.1000 to the start post of >this< thread.

These packages do not contain any Intel RST driver, but just the Intel RST Software, which is needed to get the RST Console running.

Off topic: Please stop to fully quote any previous post. It takes a lot of space and has a negative impact on the performance of the Forum.

You are the man Fernando. That worked like a charm!

One note. I had an issue with the install. I had to right click and select troubleshoot compatibility to get it to install. Other than that perfect. Shows my drives are verifying and their percentage complete so this works perfectly with the "stock" Windows 10 drives.

Thank you so much.

Noticed one unusual thing and not sure if there is a work around. When you create a raid 1 disk there is usually an option to preserve data on 1 of the disks I.e the source. This no longer seems to be an option as it is greyed out.

EDIT by Fernando: Title customized

What is the problem?
Within a RAID1 array the data are generally preserved on all (both) disks, which are members of the array (RAID1=“Mirror”).

If you should have further questions regarding your RAID1 configuration resp. the options of your currently used Intel RST Console version, please start a new thread, because your problem has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

I have a 6+ year old Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P rev1.6 motherboard that I’m running a RAID 0 (2 SSD drives) and a RAID 10 (4 HDD Drives). I noticed sometime last year that TRIM wasn’t working on the RAID 0 SSD’s and found someone who was able to update my BIOS OROM (ICH10R Southbridge support) to v12.9.0.2006 (with a TRIM mod). It immediately fixed the TRIM issue and I’ve been a happy camper ever since. I have, however, been consistently updating the IRST drivers and software to the latest version and, recently, updated to v14.6.0.1029.

I get the feeling from reading this site that updating my drivers may not have been the smartest thing to do. I am getting ready to Clean Install Windows 7 on the system and was wondering what drivers you’d recommend me to use? On the OP, it looks like I should be using v12.9.4.1000. Is that what you’d recommend for me to install when I rebuild the system? Is it also important to match the RST software to the driver version?

Thanks, in advance, for the great service you provide. This site is definitely bookmarked for future use!

@ Uncle_Gadget:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

If you want to run an Intel RAID driver, which will give your RAID0 the best possible performance, and avoid any problem while trying to “downgrade” your currently running Intel RAID driver, I recommend
a) to “downgrade” the Intel RAID ROM of your BIOS to the “TRIM in RAID0 modded” v11.2.1527 and
b) to reinstall Win7 from scratch and to load the Intel RST RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL at the beginning of the OS installation.

Yes, it is.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Fernando, I think I need to re explain myself better. I’m sorry if I haven’t been clear.

I have a Dell XPS 15 L521x with Windows 7 Home Premium using a Intel 7-Series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller.
boot drive SSD 250gb Samsung 850 evo pro and data drive 1tb hitachi.
I am using it in AHCI mode.
I made an image of the OS before making any changes.
then
I installed the new Dell update 12.8.2.1000 on top of the original 11.7.4.1001
then I uninstalled the updated IRST software but the updated 12.8.2.1000 drivers are still being used by the OS.

I then learned here that I should have uninstalled the IRST software before installing the new update v 12.8.2.1000

Question: since I installed the new version on top of the original IRST software and drivers should I:

1. go back to original OS using my old OS image to before I installed the update, that way I can uninstall the IRST software first, then install the newest v13.1.0.1058 WHQL?
or
2. leave OS as is and install new updated drivers only v13.1.0.1058 WHQL?

Thanks again, G3

@ g3:

I would choose the second option and stick with it, if everything works fine.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) version 14.6.1.1030 WHQL

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php…mid=171&lang=fr

@ all:

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• new: 32/64bit Intel RST(e) drivers v14.6.1.1030 WHQL dated 08/18/2015
  • new: Intel RST(e) Drivers & Software Set v14.6.1.1030 WHQL dated 08/28/2015

Notes:
  1. The included AHCI/RAID drivers are WHQL certified by Microsoft and usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 up.
  2. Only Intel 8-, 9-, X99 and the upcoming 100-Series Chipsets are natively fully supported by these drivers.
  3. Thanks to Station-Drivers for having published the source package.

Good luck with these new Intel AHCI and RAID drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Did you know that you can force the latest drivers, such as 14.6.1.1030 WHQL onto Z77 motherboards?

To install 14.6.1.1030 WHQL drivers on Z77 motherboards, follow instructions below:
- Go to Device Manager
- Double-Click on the Intel ACHI driver
- Click driver tab, then ‘Update Driver’
- Click ‘Browse my computer for driver software’
- Click ‘Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer’
- Click ‘Have Disk’
- Click ‘Browse’
- Navigate to the driver location
- Open ‘iaAHCIC.inf’
- Click ‘OK’
- Select ‘Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller’
- Click ‘Next’
- Click ‘Yes’ when the compatibility mismatch error message appears
- Click ‘OK’.
- Click ‘Close’
- Reboot

It works because Device Manager says that device is working properly. If these drivers were truly incompatible, then Device Manager would report a problem for the device. I got it working on Windows 10 Pro x64.

Has anyone tried that with the latest Intel RST RAID Firmware? I have no need for that for now, but I might later on. I installed the latest 14.x.x.xxxx Intel RST RAID Firmware anyway to test it later.

Yes!
The method to force the installation of a driver, which natively doesn’t support the related on-board device, by simulating to have another device is wellknown, but not really recommended by me, especially not with “mass storage” drivers.

You certainly mean the Intel SATA AHCI Controller and not the AHCI driver.

The problem is, that the freshly installed AHCI or RAID driver will not be used by the OS until the next reboot. If the driver should not be compatible with your on-board Intel SATA Controller, you will not be able to boot into your OS anymore.

What do you mean with Intel RST RAID Firmware and what has a Firmware update to do with your method to get a natively not compatible driver installed??

Yo Fernando,

I’m in quite a pickle here. I’d like to install either the RST or the RSTe driver on my X99 platform.
Now, since I have HDDs that are affected by the HDD clicking/head parking bug ( https://communities.intel.com/thread/533…rt=135&tstart=0 ), I would like to avoid the newest RST drivers since these still exhibit that bug, although X99 chipset may not be concerned. Let’s just say I do not want to subject my HDDs to potential breakdown.

According to the last poster on the Intel forum thread, RSTe drivers work flawlessly. Are there major performance differences between the RST and RSTe drivers? Which RSTe driver would you recommend for an X99 motherboard? Just the newest one?

Appreciate any help.

It depends on the SATA mode. As long as you are running your Intel SATA ports in AHCI mode, the performance differences will be moderate.

Yes, I would try the v4.3.0.1198 ones.

I’ve got an ASUS P9X79 LE motherboard that I recently updated to Windows 10 (x64). I’ve read Fernando’s first post and while I have not updated the Option ROM on the motherboard, I’m guessing I should still choose the RSTe driver that specifically says it’s compatible Windows 10. That’s the one that currently says “C. Intel RSTe drivers v3.x/v4.x and their RSTe Software (only for C600/C600+ Series Chipsets like X79 and X99): (Note: These real “Enterprise Edition” RST Drivers contain an additional SCSI Filter Driver as well, but are just designed for Intel C600/C600+ Series Chipsets like X79 and X99!)”.

Under that section, I assume I should select the 4.3 branch - even though I’m sure I have an older option ROM (is that still the correct term for the controller firmware?).

I’m not doing anything too fancy. On the 6 SATA ports I have an SSD with the OS (AHCI), 2 drives in a RAID 1 and the other ports set up as AHCI hot swappable so I can occasionally hook up an external SATA drive.

Is there anything else I’d need to do? Should I be modifying the option ROM to get proper functionality or better performance?

About the Intel RSTe Console: I see it is not recommended except if we want to enable the write back cache. Is that because it doesn’t work well in Windows 10? Will enabling the write back cache in my case help?

@ Geobrick:

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
Regarding your special questions you should better ask an experienced user of an Intel X79 Chipset system. I have never had or used any “Enterprise Edition” Intel Chipset.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando ,

What do you mean with ‘Enterprise Edition’ chipset such as X79 or X99 ?
My ASUS Sabertooth X99 is a Consumer motherboard and use the MEI 1,5 Mb Consumer firmware. So, i am a little confused about what is an ‘Enterprise Edition’…

All Intel Chipsets with a Socket 2011 natively use the Intel RST “Enterprise” drivers v3.x.x.xxxx/4.x.x.xxxx. That is why I name the X79 and X99 Chipsets “Enterprise Edition” ones.
The ME platform (“Consumer” or “Corporate”) has nothing to do with the RST driver version (RST/RSTe).

Hello Fernando,
Maybe i’m missing something :
Just fresh installed Windows 10 Entreprise N LTSB_x64 on old Dell dimension 9200 (intel P965 express chipset), and Windows install by default 13.2.0.1022 AHCI driver!!!
Could you help me to understand that, because 12.x branches seems to be the latest one for this MOBO.

Thanks.
Ghostearth.

ahcii.PNG

ahcii2.PNG

This is not an AHCI, but the new Win10 in-box Intel RST RAID driver.

Only Intel will be able to explain, why they offered Microsoft for their new OS Win10 an Intel RST RAID driver from the v13.x.x.xxxx line as generic RAID driver for all Intel Chipsets from P35 up.
According to my own experience with Intel RAID systems it would have been better, if Intel had added the missing DeviceIDs DEV_2822 and DEV_2826 to the other Win10 in-box Intel RAID driver, which is the old MSM v8.6.2.1025 one. This way all Intel RAID systems would have been detected by the in-box Intel RAID driver, but the Intel RAID users would have been able to install the best matching Intel RAID driver themselves.
I personally have solved this problem by removing the in-box Intel RAID driver v13.2.0.1022 from the Win10 image according >this< guide and integrating or loading the best matching Intel RAID driver.