Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (latest: v20.0.0.1038/ v8.5.0.1592)

Yes, I recommend to do that and to choose a better matching version like v14.8.2.2397.

It is not the task of the UBU tool to decide, which version is good for the user’s system or not, but AFAIK there is a note, that the IRST v15 RAID modules are only for Intel 100- and 200-Series chipsets.

That makes sense, I’ll remod and reflash my BIOS and stick to the 14.x branch.

Thank you very much for your help and all the resources available here!

@Fernando ,
I see on station-driver an Intel RST/RSTe Driver v15.2.5.1035 WHQL where it states it applies for:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104.DeviceDesc = ‘Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller’ (it is my X99 chipset controller)
So, this v15 is no longer for Intel Series 100 , 200 chipset ONLY ?

@ all:
Update of the start post

Changelog:

• new: 32/64bit Intel RST(e) AHCI/RAID drivers v15.2.5.1035 WHQL dated 11/17/2016
  • new: Intel RST(e) Drivers & Software Set v15.2.5.1035 dated 11/26/2016

Notes:
  • These AHCI/RAID drivers are WHQL certified by Microsoft and usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 up.
  • Only Intel 100-Series/C230 Chipsets and Systems with an Intel Skylake CPU are natively supported by these drivers.
  • Thanks to Pacman resp. Station-Drivers for having published the source package.

Enjoy these new Intel AHCI and RAID drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@100PIER :
Thanks for the info about the new Intel RST(e) drivers.

Nothing has been changed regarding the compatibility of the Intel RST(e) v15 platform. Only Intel 100-/200 Series Chipsets are supported by them.
Nevertheless you may try to install these new drivers, but I bet, that you will not be satisfied by the result.
Note:
All Intel RST/RST(e) RAID drivers are installable onto all Intel RAID Desktop systems from ICH8R up, because all the different Intel SATA RAID Controllers (except the C600 Series Chipset ones running in RSTe mode) are listed within the related INF file as having the DeviceID DEV_2822, but due to their different features Intel gave them different internal DeviceIDs, which can only be detected by looking into the code of the driver itself (iaStor.sys resp. iaStorA.sys).
Since the function and features of the different Intel SATA RAID Controllers depend just on their internal DeviceID, users cannot expect, that all (incl. the latest) Intel RST/RST(e) RAID drivers will support their specific Intel RAID system.

@Fernando ,
Thanks, I understand and I agree with you that Intel RST/RSTe Driver v15.2.5.1035 is natively designed for the Series 100, 200… and that for X99 chipset it is definitevly the branch v14.8 the better choice (v14.8.12.1059).
However, as I am focused on some NVMe drivers ‘issues’ I have observed, I see the “FIXES” specific to v15.2.5.1035:
Release note :
Fixes:
- System stability when receiving NVMe SSD high temperature Asynchronous Event

Do you think a similar fix should be beneficial for v14.8 branch ?
or do you think it is only as you explained me a specific fix valuable for new Intel chipset that are “NVMe aware of” ? (old chipset such as X99 are not “NVMe aware of”).

AFAIK this fix is only valid for Intel 100-/200 Chipset Series users, who are running their NVMe drives as RAID0 using the Intel RST driver named iaStorA.sys (and no NVMe drivers at all).

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• updated: latest Intel RSTe Drivers & Software Set from the v4.5 development branch (now v4.5.6.1009 dated 10/14/2016)

Notes:
  1. Only the installer has been updated by Intel. The included RSTe drivers are the same as within the previously offered Set v4.5.6.1007.
  2. Only Intel C600/C600+ Series Chipsets like X79 and X99 are natively supported by this Set.
  3. Thanks to Pacman resp. Station-Drivers for having published the source package.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando
I have tried to install the console software to check if my two RAID 0 Volume parameters are optimized.
Only the pure driver was installed previously.
RAID was build thru BIOS menu.

Software Console Installation seems OK.

However when starting I get these ‘software errors’:

RSTconsolecrash.PNG

RSTconsolecrash_error.PNG

What are your suggestions ?
(RAID 0 are intact and works).

The Intel RST/RSTe Software requires .NET Framework 3.5 as basis.
So I recommend to check, whether .NET 3.5 has been properly installed and you rebooted thereafter, but before you started with the installation of the IRST Software.
According to my own experience it very often helps to install the same RST/RSTe Software again on top of the previously installed one.

@Fernando ,
Thanks for your help.
Yes, .NET framework 3.5 was properly installed several weeks before I decided to install IRST software a first time:

W10_NetFrame_installed.PNG

I tried to reinstall again over the previously installed one (and not working). I used option ‘Repare’.

I get the same issue as you can see:

RSTconsole_crashes.PNG

So, I also tested the ‘uninstall’ option, rebooted PC, installed again RST, rebooted again… => same issue.

Is the possible root cause of the problem is that I had a first time installed the RST Software package on the already installed pure driver only (via Device Manager method) ?

This first time I had installed the RST software , it was working properly and I had no problem.
I had then decided to uninstall “RST” software as you recommend to get a global better performance.

This is the first re-install tentative (and all the next ones) which get these Software crashing when at launch of the Software Application…

So, finally it is impossible for me to setting some sensitive parameters such as (Write cache flushing Disabled, Cache Mode Write Back, Link Power Management Disabled, Dynamic Storage Accelerator Enabled, Current Windows Power Plan settings: High Performance, manual: High Performance Gear.

I observe that with HWINFO64 I can get some current settings values, but no mean to modify them if necessary.

@Fernando ,
Here the screenshots after a clean uninstall operation followed with a reinstall RST Software operation. (PC reboots were respected):

RST_appli_installOK.PNG

However, the RST appli crashes when launch:

RST_appli_crash.PNG

For the 2nd Controller, you can observe the RST enterprise Software v4.5.6.1006 works fine:

RST_enterprise_appli_OK.PNG

(However you can see the Entreprise Software Version information (v4.5.0.2072) does not match the right Enterprise Software version (v4.5.6.1009) I have properly installed…

Do you think the fact there are 2 different independant SATA controllers on board (non enterprise and enterprise) the both RST Software and RSTe Software have some difficulties to work properly, which should be a major misconception… ?

You are right. I have already realized that, when I unzipped the package, which has been published by Station-Drivers.
As you can see here, the original installer is v4.5.6.1009:

But the included “Applications” are all dated 12/23/2015. It seems, that Intel has done something wrong, when they built the installer.

Yes, that is what I think as well.

@Fernando ,
Thanks for your comments, I appreciate.
I have done this ultime test:
A Fully uninstall of both RST and RSTe software applications (multiple reboots), then install only the RST software application and reboot.
The RST install operation does report no error, however at launch I got the same application crash issue.

So, at the moment I did not found a workaround solution to check/set the sensitive iRST RAID parameters for RAID performance optimization on this X99 platform.

Intel RSTe RAID Drivers & Software Set v5.0.0.2192 Beta

Installed v5.0.0.2192beta and tested on Sabertooth X99
No problem, TRIM working. Performance OK.

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• new: “pure” 32/64bit Intel RSTe) AHCI/RAID drivers v5.0.0.2192 Beta for Win8-10 dated 12/06/2016, first available Intel RSTe drivers from the upcoming v5 platform

Notes:
  1. An installer resp. a complete Drivers & Software Set is not yet available (or I haven’t yet found it).
  2. Only Intel Chipsets from C600/C600+ resp. C220/C220+ up like X79 and X99 are natively supported by these drivers.
  3. Thanks to Pacman resp. Station-Drivers for having published the source package.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

The complete 5.0.0.2192 installer is the “IATA_CD.exe” that is included, it can be extracted with Wix toolset.

Thanks for the info.
I have successfully extracted the IATA_CD.exe by using the run command

IATA_CD.exe -extract <path>

But I didn't find any installer or specific Intel RSTe Software within the extraction folder.
I will try it again as soon as possible with the Wix Toolset.

Yes, “-extract” will only extract the drivers, for the full package “dark.exe” from Wix toolset is required.

C:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.10\bin>dark c:\intel\IATA_CD.exe -x c:\intel\rste5

The paths are of course only for example.

2192.png

I don`t get whether v5.0.0.2192 supports X79 chipset…
Since I moved to Win10 I restrict myself from trying RTSe drivers because they always were less performant than RST ones whenever I tried them on Win7 and Win8.1. As for RST ones I am reluctant because OS kernel was changed since Win7, plus default Win10 drivers finally started to work in MSI mode.