Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (latest: v20.1.0.1015/ v9.0.0.1836)

I have to keep SATA mode = AHCI into BIOS setting, if not the PC is not booting.
Another test done: When selecting IASTORAC.inf into v15 folder I get this situation:

Capture_8_07mai21.png

Capture_9_07mai21.png

So, this pure SATA AHCI mode system test machine is now booting, and Samsung NVMe SSD are driven by Samsung driver.
At this step modifying SATA to RAID mode into BIOS goes to a non bootable system.
Now, How to progress to get a RAID0 array supported as v15 RAID stuff is not installable ?

@100PIER :
All Intel RST AHCI & RAID driverpacks contain 2 *.INF files (here: iaAHCIC.inf and iaStorAC.inf), but only 1 real driver (here: iaStorAC.sys). The additional SCSI filter driver named iaStorF.sys will only be installed while running Win7.
If you want to install the driver in AHCI mode, you have to use the *.INF file with the letters "AHCI" in it (here: iaAHCIC.inf), whereas the RAID mode needs the *.INF file named iaStorAC.inf.
You cannot install any Intel RST AHCI driver by forcing to take the file named iaStorAC.inf! Vice versa you cannot install any Intel RST RAID driver by pointing to the INF file named iaAHCIC.inf!

@Fernando ,
As you can see in #2461 the test SATA drive (Kingston) is now handled by IASTORAC driver v15.
Do you think it is OK now to disconnect it and then replug the RAID0 array, letting the BIOS setting to AHCI mode ?

That is a problem, because you need to set the SATA mode to "RAID" to get access to your RAID0 array.
Are you sure, that the "RST Control" BIOS setting was still disabled after having set the SATA mode to "RAID"?
Since your bootable NVMe SSD doesn’t use anymore an Intel RST driver, it should boot no matter which SATA mode you have chosen.
I have tried it very often with my Intel Z170 system. The Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD stayed bootable even after having switched the SATA mode from AHCI to RAID.

That is not possible. An Intel RAID array needs the Intel SATA mode "RAID".

Not quite, you’d be surprised; but a simple RAID array can work in AHCI mode after being setup in RAID and switched back to AHCI! Tested it myself.
Since AHCI and RAID are both "AHCI", and Intel RAID is a software one…

The BIOS settings situation is:
BIOS entry Main Menu: Intel RSTechnology = ON,
(F7) Advanced Sub-menu: PCH storage chipset: SATA Mode = Intel RST Premium with…, M.2_1 and M.2_2 mapping are both set to ‘Not RST Controlled’.
Result: The sytem is not booting (circle logo…)
So, no progress.

@100PIER :
What happens, when you set the "Intel RSTechnology" to "off"? Which "SATA Modes" are offered?
Since I never have seen the specific BIOS settings of your mainboard, it would be fine, if you would post screenshots of the BIOS settings regarding the "Intel RSTechnology" and the "SATA mode" options.
You can get the screenshots after having connected an USB Flashdrive and pressing F12 while having opened the related BIOS page

@Fernando , @MDM ,

Miracle: after multiple PC power off and PC reboots, doing absolutly nothing except be very very patient I got a final proper booting configuration !
I checked all is OK now:

Capture_10_07mai21.PNG

Thank you guys to your help and patience to this instructive experience to get back a PC from a "Intel RST Master v18 " situation to a classical “Intel RST NOT Master v15” configuration.
I wish good luck for the users who entered into Intel RST v18 branch ‘world’ if they want to drive their NVMe SSD with the native manufacturer driver instead of Intel RST ‘Master’.
Fernando, you should rewarm this at the start post #1 for the v18 branch as you already have done at the v17.9 branch.
Thanks for your time and help.

I do think a “reset CMOS” would donne that too, must been the FW (BIOS) was in a state of confusion after all of the changes!
But great it works!!

@100PIER :
Congratulations from my side as well!
It is fine, that you succeeded finally.
That confirms my motto: Never give up, if the target is important enough for you.
Enjoy your optimized NVMe/RAID0 system!

@Fernando ,
Here are some BIOS screenshots from the Z390M machine running Intel RST v15.
I do observe RAID0 is handled into SATA Mode = "AHCI" instead of "RAID".
Is it normal ?

210507180637.jpg

210507180820.jpg

210507181005.jpg

210507181055.jpg

HWINFO_07mai21.PNG

@100PIER :

According to my experiences with Intel 6-, 9- and 100-Series chipset RAID systems I thought, that it would be impossible, but as MDM already predicted, it really works for you.
My advice: Let the configuration as it is now. The SATA Controller’s AHCI mode may even be the better solution.

I don’t frankly think anything will happen if you go RAID now…

If I go to SATA Mode = RAID into BIOS menu the PC does not boot.

LOL!
Then forget it, and do not touch it!

I see member @Rathlin created today a specific sub-forum about this topic.

@Fernando
In reply to #2472:
1) I see you should add into the current DEV list for Intel RST v15 branch the SATA AHCI controller DEV_A352 :

W10_CL_SATA_AHCI_Ctrl_DEV_09mai21.PNG

HWINFO_CL_SATA_AHCI_DEV_09mai21.PNG

2) I see also ASUS site does propose Intel RST driver v17.9.4.1017 for this machine:

Z390M_RST_driver_from_ASUS_09mai21.PNG

You do not offer this version on this sub forum, is there any reason ?

Do you think the "RST Master" problem should be also present when trying to use v17.9.4.1017 ?

@100PIER :

Why should I add this DeviceID twice?
Here are pictures showing the supported HardwareIDs of the "Universal 32/64bit Intel RSTe AHCI+RAID drivers v15.9.8.1050 mod+signed by Fernando":

Yes, the v17.9.6.1019 drivers dated 02/02/2021 are newer and bug fixed.

Yes!

@Fernando ,
1) Thanks, I was referring to your comment into post #1, I, B chapter:
General notes:
These drivers additionally do support the "Intel(R) Optane™ Memory System Acceleration" and the "Intel(R) Smart Response Technology".
Similar to the previously mentioned v15 platform drivers these RAID drivers natively do support the following Intel SATA RAID Controller DeviceIDs: DEV_2822, DEV_282A, DEV_9D07, DEV_A106, DEV_A107, DEV_A286 and DEV_A28E.

2) Here is a comparative screenshots set for two similarZ390M machines I have, one is i3 CPU handled and the other one i5 CPU handled .
Z390M_i5 machine:

Z390M_i5_DriveControlerInfos_09mai21.PNG

Z390M_i5_HWINFO_09mai21.PNG

210509112829.jpg

210509113000.jpg

210509113115.jpg

Z390M_i3 machine:

HWINFO_07mai21.PNG

210507180637.jpg

210507180820.jpg

210507181005.jpg

210507181055.jpg

As you can see, it is strange to observe on Z390M_i5 BIOS menu, that PCIe X16 handling the NVIDIA GTX add in card is "not RST controlled" !
How a graphique card should be related to a RST driver ?

Any comments on these 2 machines , one in "SATA mode = AHCI" handling a RAID0 Array ! and the other one in "SATA mode = RAID" handling no RAID0 array ?

@100PIER :

If the Intel Chipset, the BIOS settings and the in-use Intel RST driver make it possible, that the Intel Rapid Storage Technology overtakes Control over all SATA and PCIe ports, the PCIe connected discrete graphics card can theoretically be affected as well. In reality it is very unlikely, that an Intel RST driver is able to manage a graphics adapter.