Is there any point of having the IRST Driver if I'm using an NVMe SSD?

I have a GIGABYTE 15 AERO OLED laptop which came with the IRST 17.9.1.1009 drivers installed as well so I removed them but now this got me thinking. Why would the manufactuer have installed them if the laptop is not using RAID and has an NVMe SSD in AHCI mode (as in, Windows is setup in AHCI not RAID in the BIOS).

I know some companies like Dell always install Windows with the BIOS set to RAID whether or not you order the laptop with a single drive or 2 or more drives in RAID just out of laziness perhaps

your thoughts?

Simple as this, if ur using a NVMe drive it should use NVMe controller in windows, under device manager.
What drive model u have?

@superspartan : If you would do a look into the start post of >this< thread, you will realize, that all Intel RST drivers from the v16 platfom up do contain a generic NVMe driver, which supports the NVMe Controller of all Intel NVMe SSDs (no matter whether the on-board Intel SATA Controller is running in AHCI or RAID mode).
Nevertheless it is up to the user to decide, which NVMe driver is the best choice for their specific NVMe SSD resp. its NVMe Controller.

Its in my signature, Sabrent Rocket+ 2TB and Sabrent Rocket Q 4TB

Thanks, I will run a benchmark without IRST and with IRST to see the difference.

Edit: Weird, I got this error when trying to install IRST:

@superspartan : Before quoting my post you should have read it:

By the way:

1. Only users of an Intel RAID array will benefit from the installation of the complete Intel RST Drivers & Software Set by running the SetupRST.exe. Alll other users should better manually install the "pure" Intel RST driver from within the Device Manager.
  2. Although the NVMe Controller of your Sabrent SSD is natively not supported by any Intel RST driver, you can get it installed, if you force the installation by using the "Have Disk" button and pointing to the file named iaStorAC.inf. I have successfully tested it with my Sabrent Rocket 4.0.

Sorry, it looks like You have knowledge and well-understanding in controllers and drivers, can You help with some questions?
I have z790 asus mb and pair of Apacer nvme sticks, I didnt instal IRST driver(when You are installing Windows), and didn`t use this option in BIOS, How can I find out what protocol is using my nvme? And what exactly You can advice -

1. left everything like it is or
  2. turn on irst in BIOS, reinstal Windows with this driver
    ?

@zakkiakafaka
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

There is nothing to find out, because an NVMe SSD and its Controller can only support the NVMe protocol.

1 Like

Tnaks for welcome! And for the answer.
So, I can use it how it is without IRST driver, speed will be the same? Sorry, I`m really confused.

Yes, no need if no other drives on the system, (SATA AHCI or RAID).
Optional driver, only if its provided by the the Brand/Vendor and available for specific the NVMe disk.
NVMe controller runs apart form standard PATA/SATA/RAID, no confusing here.

1 Like

thanks a lot!